just brew it-help! (Asus M5A97 question)

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

just brew it-help! (Asus M5A97 question)

Postposted on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:11 pm

Hi I got the Asus M5A97 R2.0 board new from the 'egg as just brew it! recommended... :) But now I've got a hurdle. Neither of the PCI slots detect my various ata controllers/tv tuners. I even tried a D-link nic that I think still works, and nothing. Linux and Windows 7 tried. Skimmed manual, explored the vast BIOS landscape... about the 1 thing I haven't tried is resetting cmos; that it should fail out of the box seems beyond unreasonable tho. So am I forgetting anything, or RMA this guy?
raginghobo
Gerbil In Training

Re: just brew it-help! (Asus M5A97 question)

Postposted on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:19 pm

Throw the switch! (Errr... 'Reset' jumper.) Check to see if you need to pull the battery before throwing the switch. Most Mobos don't require it, but a slight few will fry things....

On first boot, 'Load system defaults' in BIOS. If there is a master load, do that. If not, load defaults for each page.

Reboot and hope for the best.... :o

You have installed the AMD supplied chipset drivers, right? They may include low-level interrupt and pci steering goodies that just might make a difference.
Geonerd
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:47 pm

Have you tried looking for drivers for your PCI peripherals?

I've just built a new system and w7u sp1 didn't come with drivers for the realtek ethernet adapter - had to download and install those manually (now how do they expect you to do that without working ethernet? Fortunately, I have 4 PCs in my household right now - wife has the 5th with her).
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:21 am

I own an ASUS M5A97 r1.0 and while it's not *exactly* the same board, I have no issues. I use a Xonar Essence in it (PCI version) and everything works without having had to install any bridge drivers or set anything in the BIOS. In fact, I believe there *are* no PCI options in the BIOS anymore.

I suspect a faulty board. Have you tried it with other PCI devices?
Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:59 am

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties.

I have not had trouble with PCI devices on any of the M5A97 series boards I've used, with one exception - an old SATA controller I had sitting around, which originally came free with a HDD I bought years ago. Pretty sure that was the controller's fault though, it was pretty much a POS.

Things to try/check -

- Update to the latest BIOS and reset the CMOS.

- From Linux, issue an lspci command to see if the card is being detected on the bus. If you're not sure how to find the device in question in the lspci output, do an lspci without the card inserted and save the output; then power down, insert the card, boot into Linux again, and compare the output of a new lspci command with the saved copy.

- In the Boot section of the BIOS, go to the CSM sub-menu and ensure that the Launch CSM module is set to Enabled. (This is a UEFI thing, it enables additional internal features of the BIOS making it behave more like a legacy-style BIOS with regards to device initialization. Bit of a long shot, but can't hurt to try.)

- For the ATA controllers, I have seen controllers which will not initialize if no devices are connected to it on power up, making it appear that the controller is not present. (That doesn't explain the TV tuner or NIC issues though.)

- Make sure you don't have a problem with a misaligned case preventing the cards from fully seating in the PCI slots.

- Make sure you don't have an extra motherboard standoff underneath the motherboard that is grounding something out.

If none of the above things pan out, it may be RMA time. :(
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:11 am

Eh, I took it in stride. But thanks you guys for all the great suggestions. :) Actually the last time I noticed one of the controller cards bios message appearing - this was after I took away the POST logo screen. And this morning with further investigating as if by magic, it all detects in both slots. I tried a handful of cards again, they were all confirmed to be in working condition. I guess this Asus was a slow starter, heh. But seriously I must be better than I thought! I'm keeping an eye on the bios versions for later (I am one release behind right now), but as far as physical explanation all I can think of is this: there was a leak in the production facility as the board was being assembled, and a cloud of teflon coating wafted across the slots, adhering to the contact surfaces. Taking slots out and putting them in multiple times must have restored the contacts.
raginghobo
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:33 am

Or if these were all older cards, maybe there was some dust/corrosion on the card connectors... who knows.

Anyway, glad to hear it is working now!

As an aside, disabling the POST logo is one of the first things I do when I set up new motherboards or clear the CMOS. I want to SEE what is going on during startup!
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Return to System Builders Anonymous