Did this hurt my thermal compound application?

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

Did this hurt my thermal compound application?

Postposted on Tue May 27, 2014 9:24 am

So I just completed the build referenced in this earlier thread thread - the parts at issue in this question are the 4770k CPU and the NH-D14 cooler. The install was much easier than I thought it'd go, except for one aspect. After applying the thermal compound, I wasn't able to push down on the cooler and screw it in in one motion, and ended up pulling up on the cooler slightly at least once, probably twice, to help guide the mounting screws on either side. Could this have messed with the distribution of compound?
SheridanPC
Gerbil

Re: Did this hurt my thermal compound application?

Postposted on Tue May 27, 2014 9:37 am

It's not optimal since it will have introduced some air pockets into the compound. That said it won't have an enormous effect, maybe a few degrees hotter core temperature at worst.
Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus Z87-A | G.Skill 8GB 2400MHz CL10 | Asus DirectCU II R9 290 4GB | Samsung 840 120GB |Thermalright Macho | Lancool PC-K59
puppetworx
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Re: Did this hurt my thermal compound application?

Postposted on Tue May 27, 2014 9:40 am

Ok thanks for the feedback. Looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to remove and reinstall keeping mobo in my case, so maybe that can be a future project for a rainy day.
SheridanPC
Gerbil

Return to System Builders Anonymous