Flaky behaviour on New Build

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

Flaky behaviour on New Build

Postposted on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:15 am

I recently bought and put together this hardware:
i7 4790
Asus H97-Plus
2x4GB GSkill DDR3

with this reused old hardware including:
ATI HD5750
PCI-Express x1 Wireless card
Modular PSU(need to check the wattage, but more on this later)
1 OCZ Vertex 3
3xHDD
1xDVDRW Combo drive

I got everything set up, installed Win7 and besides some wireless issues(nothing computer specific just where the unit was placed to get a signal wasnt ideal) everything seemed fine. I played some diablo 3 and some batman Arkham Origins and both played fine. Now i am finding that the computer freezes. But it only seems to freeze when I am accessing one of the seondary mechanical drives. The drives were working fine when they were in the old build and they can run for a long time without issue as i was downloading multiple torrents at one point and not crashing. However, when i get into playing a video from this drive though, thats where it *might* freeze up. With the sound sometimes continuing for a few seconds, sometimes distorting into noise, sometimes looping back on the last few seconds. This doesnt always happen and i have skimmed through several videos without it happening.

I reseated and replaced some sata cables, and for a while i thought that did it and then it happened again, while playing a video. I have been trying to identify what could be the issue. If i never access the other drives, it seems like the problem never happens. Even if i am playing games for a few hours(which one would think is more strenuous then powering up a HDD). So it could be the drive, but i never had any issues with this drive before and as mentioned, torrents were downloading simultaneously wihtout any probelm. Then i was wondering if it could be power. Like i said, i need to check the wattage, but if memory serves, i thought it was around 500Watts. I was debating on taking out the 5750 and using the onboard video just to see if the subsequent power usage drop would affect it. I don't think heat is an issue as it is pretty cool and for this testing i made sure to increase the airflow just in case.

AMD drivers for the 5750 are up to date.
Creed
Gerbil

Re: Flaky behaviour on New Build

Postposted on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:30 am

Could be any number of things, so you'll have to do process of elimination. I would first check the Windows Logs under Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer and see if any errors are logged at the times that the lockups occurred. After that, since it's easy to do, try removing the videocard and using onboard. Are the videos always on the same drive when this happens? Can you reproduce the issue using another drive?
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:49 am

Are you sure it's actually a fault and not just a freeze whilst the drive spins up from sleep? When a drive is spun down and you ask for reads/writes all manner of not-particularly-graceful things happen. "not responding", hangs, looping sound. I guess we need to pin the blame on Windows for that because it's always thrown a complete hissyfit the minute a storage device it thinks is "online" doesn't respond.

If it's not that, event viewer first, then one-component-at-a-time process of elimination as per The Egg's instruction.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:55 am

Yeah, i am familiar with the HD spin up. This is complete freeze with no mouse input, no keyboard input and I have left it for a few minutes just to see and the only way out is forced reboot. In the windows logs, the only mention i can find is the message about how windows did not shut down properly.
Creed
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:02 pm

I would also run Memtest86 overnight tonight.
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:39 pm

This.
If Memtest is okay in the morning, next suspect is the video card. Switch to onboard and see if the problem goes away.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:46 am

10 passes of memtest last night and 0 errors. Tonight i take out the HD5750 and see.
Creed
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:33 am

Have you run diags on the drives? I know WD has some Windows utilities, and I assume Seagate and any other manufacturers do as well. Just because they were good, doesn't mean they still are.
absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:17 am

Nope, no diagnostics run on HD. That will come after the 5750 test.
Creed
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:39 am

Does this happen for all drives or just one drive (excluding the system drive)? If it only happens for one drive, I'd run a checkdisk on it and try to see if you can clear any bad sectors.
CPU: Intel Core-i7 2600 GPU: Nvidia GTX 770 4GB MoBo: ASRock z77 Pro4 RAM: (2x8) 16GB G.Skill 1600MHz Case: Thermaltake Commander PSU: 650W SeaSonic X SSD: 128GB Crucial M4 SSD HDD: 500GB Western Digital Green OS: Windows 7
Techgoudy
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:21 am

HD diagnostics run. One drive said it might fail soon so drive removed. Still crashing. Removed video card and ran onboard. Still crashing. Ran memory one stick at a time. Still crashing. Some of these crashes can come after hours of downloading and multitasking. I can play diablo for hours and it has never crashed. Hours of video have played on loop while also downloading. It just occasionally crashes. I dont know what to do. I have debated on playing with voltages on the ram/cpu, but i would think that any issues with these 2 parts have been shown to work after hours of memtest and Prime95(max CPU and memory). The only thing i have not done is try a new system drive and try a new power supply.
Creed
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:36 am

Is the motherboard running the newest BIOS and is that OCZ vertex running the latest firmware?

Edit - when you did a fresh format/install were the 3 mech hdd already formatted and attached? I have seen windows dump files to other drives while doing an install. I usually just connect the OS SSD and format/install, then connect the other ssd/hdd after, maybe I am just paranoid like that.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:47 am

anotherengineer wrote:Is the motherboard running the newest BIOS and is that OCZ vertex running the latest firmware?

Edit - when you did a fresh format/install were the 3 mech hdd already formatted and attached? I have seen windows dump files to other drives while doing an install. I usually just connect the OS SSD and format/install, then connect the other ssd/hdd after, maybe I am just paranoid like that.

I do the same. First so that windows does not find things on the drives (dump files among them) and also to make sure Windows only uses the SSD for its setup (no accidental wipes of drives)
Arvald
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:51 am

anotherengineer wrote:I have seen windows dump files to other drives while doing an install.

This. So irritating. If you just select the drive when installing, Windows creates its extra partitions on another drive. You have to manually create the partitions on the boot drive to avoid that. (had to install Win8 twice, due to this behavior. thanks, Obama)
powerNode: node 304, 4770k+h90 @ 4.2GHz, IGP (waiting on Big Maxwell), ASUS Maximus VI Impact, 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Terra_Nocuus
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:31 am

Creed wrote:I have debated on playing with voltages on the ram/cpu, but i would think that any issues with these 2 parts have been shown to work after hours of memtest and Prime95(max CPU and memory). The only thing i have not done is try a new system drive and try a new power supply.
Are you OC'ing? If you are, drop everything back to stock.
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:34 am

BIOS up to date, will have to check OCZ. No ocing right now, just grasping at straws here.

I guess I will have to try a reinstall with no other drives connected.
Creed
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:33 am

I was able to get my hands on a new SSD and a copy of Windows 8.1 and i have installed that. I have one drive i havent reconnected yet, but so far, i have been able to download and play videos and multitask and no freezes or restarts for 2 days. So either it was the old drive or the cable connecting the drive but so far all seems well.
Creed
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:48 am

Hi,

I had something similar.
My situation was that the pc would freeze up during explosion scenes in youtube streaming (i.e. outside youtube itself, such as gamespot.com). The sound would become white noise, and had to reset.)
Then Skyrim would crash as soon as the horse thief started complaining...
Anyway, I can't remember if I had 4GB (most likely) or 8GB back then, but anyway I added more RAM to 16GB, and the problem went away.
I was also rocking 32 bit OS Win 7.

Now I heard that 4GB is plenty for web streaming and to a certain extent pure gaming. So I dont' know why, but as soon as I upgraded/replaced my RAM, problems went away.

TL;DR Try get more/replace memory and see what happens.

Edit: Sorry didn't read your last post.
Darthutos
Gerbil

Return to System Builders Anonymous