Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Serenity on DVD next week.

Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:36 pm

Serenity @ Amazon for $16.98

Comes out December 20th! I have not choice but to order a copy. Might make a good Christmas gift. It's a shame that it went from the theaters to DVD so quickly.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:56 pm

Actually, lots of stuff is intended to go to video quickly these days. The trip through the theaters is just a marketing or image thing, but they actually expect to make the real money off the video sales.

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:17 pm

Yeah.. but that really sucked.. I wanted to see it in the theatres, but 2 weeks after release and it was gone... Anyway I picked up the DVD...

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:28 pm

I'm in. That's a great price.
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:34 am

They should bundle this with the TV box set and sell it for $40. They'd make a killing. I've been thinking about picking up the box set for Firefly but Joss Whedon's previous efforts have made me leery.

Kevin
Administrator

Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:22 pm

Vrock wrote:
They should bundle this with the TV box set and sell it for $40. They'd make a killing.

I'd be all over that.

Vrock wrote:
I've been thinking about picking up the box set for Firefly but Joss Whedon's previous efforts have made me leery.

It's nothing like his other stuff. Get the set and enjoy one of the best SciFi TV shows ever aired.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:29 pm

Heh, I just bought the Serenity and Firefly dvd's from Amazon about 2 minutes before clicking on this thread. I can't wait, but unfortunately for me, it'll be about 7-11 days shipping. Oh well, it's still a lot cheaper.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:31 pm

Well, $46.96 gets you both, shipped, from Amazon. Not bad.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:19 pm

liar wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Vrock wrote:
Vrock"]I've been thinking about picking up the box set for Firefly but Joss Whedon's previous efforts have made me leery.

It's nothing like his other stuff. Get the set and enjoy one of the best SciFi TV shows ever aired.

Seconded. I will also recommend that you look at the deleted scenes earlier than late, especially the one where Simon is listening to his encyclopedia describe the battle of Serenity Valley, and Zoe, who was there, comes in...you will understand Mal a bit better after that, I think.

How could you have a box set of only 1/2 season? And where does one find these deleted scenes? (Is it on the firefly dvd?)
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

meanfriend
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:38 pm

Stripe7 wrote:
The DVD was set up for the Dec 20th release before the movie even hit the theaters. For those not of the Browncoat persuasion, Dec 20th was the original air date of "Serenity". Idiot schedulers at Fox aired Serenity which was supposed to be the pilot for "Firefly" last.

The DVD collection puts the pilot as the first episode, which is in the order I watched them.

I never saw the series on TV, but the pilot was one of the best episodes and sets up the whole series. To air the pilot last has got to be one of the most brain-dead things I have ever heard.

Those box office numbers look abysmal. Unless the DVD sells like hotcakes, this could be the last Firefly we'll ever see ...

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:41 pm

liar wrote:
Seconded. I will also recommend that you look at the deleted scenes earlier than late, especially the one where Simon is listening to his encyclopedia describe the battle of Serenity Valley, and Zoe, who was there, comes in...you will understand Mal a bit better after that, I think.
I have the boxed set and I don't remember that deleted scene. I will have to look again.

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:54 pm

Vrock wrote:
They should bundle this with the TV box set and sell it for $40. They'd make a killing. I've been thinking about picking up the box set for Firefly but Joss Whedon's previous efforts have made me leery.

I picket up the TV series in Hong Kong (legit copy) for $15 USA, and it came with a DVD of the movie, I'm sure it would be out in Dubia.

btw Serinity did ok at the Aus Box office. Its currently 62 for 2005, So it should settle about 70.
http://www.moviemarshal.com/boxaus2005.html
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.

liar
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:09 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
How could you have a box set of only 1/2 season? And where does one find these deleted scenes? (Is it on the firefly dvd?)
It ran 12 episodes on air, 3 in the can that never aired, so 15 (12,13,14 never aired) episodes on the 4 DVD
Hawkwing74 wrote:
I have the boxed set and I don't remember that deleted scene. I will have to look again.

On the last dvd, I believe.
Sancte Isidore, ora pro nobis!
Caveat lector.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:22 pm

I received the boxed Firefly DVD set today, watched the first 7 episodes. It's goos stuff. I've really enjoyed the experience. My favorite scene so far is during the Train Robbery when he kicks that guy into the intake of that jet. :-)
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:51 am

I'd be very happy to be wrong.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:15 am

Forge wrote:
I'd be very happy to be wrong.

I was a little unhappy with the 2 tragic *spoilers* in the movie. However, if you look at it as the final episode of the series it makes more sense and does wrap things up a bit. Although they never give you details as to Book's background.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:28 am

That guy always seemed to be the voice of the writer. So... I think we can come to a firm conclusion.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:23 pm

I know I'm always a downer with these things, but it's my job here.

If you wish to continue the discussion about whether they should(n't) look into continuing the series on TV, or make a second movie, then I'll split the posts into the BP.

The conversation in here should be regarding the HD listed only.

Ah heck with it.....I'll split it now. 8)
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran