Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

LicketySplit
Gerbil God
Topic Author

HD..UPS at BestBuy $20..no rebates

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:30 pm

Pretty good deal for someone who is looking for or needs a UPS.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 1101368673
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Taddeusz
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:37 pm

All I have to say is APC, accept no other.

Seriously, as good a deal as that looks I have trouble believing something that is branded "Geek Squad" is going to be a quality product. I suspect that you would be better off purchasing an APC from the start and not have to worry about the hassle of trying to getting it replaced and such if it were ever to go south on you.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:42 pm

I have an APC and am quite happy with it. This link was put up for someone who hasnt one and may be a bit short of "cash" for a truely good unit. Altho i wouldnt be surprised if it is made by APC..they have that look.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Taddeusz

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:47 pm

Yea, I guess it would be good for that. I just had a bad experience with the "cheaper" option. I bought a Cyber Power a while back. While I was gone one day apparently the power flickered. When I came home from work I came in hearing an alarm. Once I figured out what was going on my cheap Cyber Power had bit it saying that the input voltage was 85VAC while my APC had weathered it with no trouble. Maybe it just turned out to be the quickest path to ground that day but I will never buy another Cyber Power product.

kvndoom

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:33 pm

Unfortunately it's shipping only and no local pickup, so 20$ becomes 33$, and then maybe not too great a deal over buying a brand-name locally.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."