Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Gilligan
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Domain/Hosting Deals

Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:06 pm

Anyone recommend some place for hosting/domain name registration.

My friend was considering godaddy.com but was wondering if there are better places. He is going to have a small web page.

If there's a will, there's a way.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:14 pm

You can buy the hosting and domains seperate. Godaddy.com is really cheap with both, but if you have anything beyond a static webpage, take your hosting elsewhere, they suck. I have had NIGHTMARES with their SQL and Database support in general. It's horrid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:49 pm

I'm in the process of setting up / transferring a couple of domains (registration and DNS only, no actual hosting) with GoDaddy right now. You can't beat the price, and -- as I discovered today -- they respond really fast to e-mailed questions. Like within an hour. And the people doing the responding seem to have a clue -- the answers actually made sense!

If you have broadband with ~300kbit/sec or better upload, can get a static IP from your ISP, and are the somewhat adventurous type, self-hosting the site may be an option. Set up a cheap Linux box... load Apache, PHP and MySQL on it (these should already be bundled with your distro)... you have complete control.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:19 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I'm in the process of setting up / transferring a couple of domains (registration and DNS only, no actual hosting) with GoDaddy right now. You can't beat the price, and -- as I discovered today -- they respond really fast to e-mailed questions. Like within an hour. And the people doing the responding seem to have a clue -- the answers actually made sense!

If you have broadband with ~300kbit/sec or better upload, can get a static IP from your ISP, and are the somewhat adventurous type, self-hosting the site may be an option. Set up a cheap Linux box... load Apache, PHP and MySQL on it (these should already be bundled with your distro)... you have complete control.

I have to ask, usually within the first 5 minutes of calling, to be transferred to someone with a clue. They talk to me like the understand my question, and I don't appreciate the run around. Just get someone on the line who can tell me what I need to know. I wish I could say my experience was as nice as your JBI. They do have very good timing in terms of answering things, its just usually the case that I don't get the answer that's helpful.

SlyFerret
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:37 pm

I've been really happy with 1and1.

I've got their $2.99/mo Linux hosting package. As long as I stay within the 5 GB of HDD space and the monthly bandwidth limits, I can host as many domains as I want. I'm currently hosting 8 domains for a total of $2.99 per month.

They charge $6.00 per year for .com/.net/.org.

I used to co-locate my own server, but for this price, I'll let them handle the security, hardware, backups.

-SF
"Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror, and you would not have been notified."

Kevin
Administrator

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:39 pm

I've had good luck with 1and1. Signed up for their three years free promotion deal when they expanded to North America and just recently upgraded it to the home package. I compared it to godaddy and 1and1 was cheaper. $5/mo for 100GB storage and 1000GB transfer, plus two .com/.net/.org domains where godaddy is $8/mo for the same services but only one .info domain.

EDIT: Heh, SlyFerret just beat me to it.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

SlyFerret
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:44 pm

Kevin wrote:
EDIT: Heh, SlyFerret just beat me to it.

Don't ask me how they're making any money with the cheap hosting packages. Its sort of like a coffee shop. Sure, coffee is cheap to make, but you've got to sell a LOT of coffee in a day to make any real money.

-SF
"Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror, and you would not have been notified."

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:47 pm

I use 1and1 for my hosting personall as well, I didn't even think to mention them. I signed up for a free 2 year trial account or something, that was well over 5 years ago, I swear I haven't been billed in a long time. Site still works :D

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:49 pm

Try searching on FindMyHosting.com. Last time I was looking, webhostingbuzz (for non-MS) and 3essentials (for asp) seemed to be best combination of price and high ratings, but YMMV.