128GB SSD for $150 (Indilinx!)

Share critical consumer intelligence on deals and steals.

Moderator: Hoser

128GB SSD for $150 (Indilinx!)

Postposted on Fri May 27, 2011 6:16 am

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820211555

Exceptional deal if you ask me for an Indilinx drive. I'm finding it hard to justify it, but it's sooooo tempting. My desktop already has a plenty fast Samsung F3 1TB and I'd hate to have to reinstall windows so soon again. Maybe I'll buy it for my netbook?

QUICK! Buy this so it goes out of stock. That way, the decision is made for me. :D
Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Re: 128GB SSD for $150 (Indilinx!)

Postposted on Fri May 27, 2011 7:16 am

No hard disk ever is as plenty fast as SSD. I had several Raptors before and not one of them could even come close. It's the single upgrade that's worth for almost everybody.
Synchromesh
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri May 27, 2011 7:42 am

Meh, color me not-convinced. A lot of the work and play I do on my computer isn't I/O bound so the only time I would probably ever notice the SSD is on boot times.

That said, I caved and bought one for my netbook.

If it works out for me on my netbook then maybe I'll switch it over to my desktop later.
Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 27, 2011 7:48 am

Crap, why did I have to see this? Suddenly my Sandy Bridge build NEEDS a new system drive, but the budget still can't afford it...
[ - THIS SPACE FOR RENT - ]
highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri May 27, 2011 11:39 am

A lot of the work and play I do on my computer isn't I/O bound so the only time I would probably ever notice the SSD is on boot times

See thats the misconception that drives me nuts. People act like unless you're loading and unloading gigabytes of files at a time, you don't need or will notice an SSD. The value is there when you click the start bar in windows it loads everything instantly, when you search for something it is found instantly, when you launch ie or any other program it pops up instantly even if the pc has just booted, when you run your antivirus it takes 13 mins instead of hours, when you right click on some random file amidts a thousand other random files windows instantly selects the right submenu without a 2-3 second pause, etc etc etc. This is even beyond the gain in boot times and loading and etc.

And again its 150 we're talking about here, not your first born child's right arm. Its a couple of dinners with the girl friend, or a trip to the mechanic for a quick tune up. I'm not saying money grows on trees, but man its not like back in the day when ssds were 4 dollars a gig.
i7 2600k @4.4 ghz 1.26v - GA-P67X-UD3 - 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz - Evga Geforce GTX 570 - 2x 120gb Vertex 3 Raid-0 - Seagate Barracude 1.5TB - Silverstone FT02- HP 2709M Monitor
Sunburn74
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Fri May 27, 2011 1:02 pm

^^^ Ditto. Pretty much was Sunburn74 said.
Synchromesh
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri May 27, 2011 1:08 pm

Hah, sorry it drives you nuts but that's how I feel. It's not that I don't think an SSD won't show an improvement, but that said improvement won't really be beneficial for the amount I'm spending -- at least on my desktop.

Hard drives have been fast enough for me for a awhile now, and I'd say pretty much everything starts almost instantaneously on my desktop. My netbook is another matter though, which is where this puppy is headed first. If I notice a significant difference I'll be happy to change my tune, but I'm setting the bar pretty low for right now. Otherwise, I'll sell it. It's a win-win :).
Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 27, 2011 3:00 pm

Must resist! If it's still in stock tomorrow I might not be able to. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 27, 2011 6:52 pm

Grabbed the Intel 320 120GB for $220 to shove in my Toshiba... could have gotten the Corsair Force 115 cheaper, but the satisfaction of having a tried and true Intel drive (no hating on Corsair, just saying) for my mobile workstation is worth more to me. Grabbed a Kingwin aluminum USB3 enclosure for the 640GB drive I'll wind up pulling out of it.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil

Postposted on Fri May 27, 2011 7:26 pm

Sunburn74 wrote:
A lot of the work and play I do on my computer isn't I/O bound so the only time I would probably ever notice the SSD is on boot times

See thats the misconception that drives me nuts. People act like unless you're loading and unloading gigabytes of files at a time, you don't need or will notice an SSD. The value is there when you click the start bar in windows it loads everything instantly, when you search for something it is found instantly, when you launch ie or any other program it pops up instantly even if the pc has just booted, when you run your antivirus it takes 13 mins instead of hours, when you right click on some random file amidts a thousand other random files windows instantly selects the right submenu without a 2-3 second pause, etc etc etc. This is even beyond the gain in boot times and loading and etc.

And again its 150 we're talking about here, not your first born child's right arm. Its a couple of dinners with the girl friend, or a trip to the mechanic for a quick tune up. I'm not saying money grows on trees, but man its not like back in the day when ssds were 4 dollars a gig.

I have computers with SSDs and HDDs. With that experience under my belt I can say that I'm not ready to spend my own money on SSD yet. Like Sunburn74, I'm almost never waiting on my hard drive for anything.

At work, since it's not my money and since people can't seem to avoid doing horrendous things to their computers, I've started deploying SSDs. Having said that, for the three people at work who's machines I have put SSDs in, I ask them if they notice a difference and - I schit you not - all three of them have said "Not really", and two of them have been slightly annoyed at me for making them go through the experience of a full re-install for what they perceive as essentially no distinguishable difference in their computer's performance.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat May 28, 2011 5:00 am

Fortunately it is now out of stock, so I'm no longer tempted.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:21 am

I got the SSD the other day and over the weekend I decided to give it a whirl. I tried it in my desktop first as it would be the easiest to image and as I suspected I really didn't notice too much of a difference from my Samsung F3. Some programs did start up noticeably faster, like Paint.NET, and Windows boot was crazy fast. Everything else felt about the same. An near instant search on the whole drive was pretty cool though.

I do see some hope for this drive yet though. For one, I'm on a motherboard that does not support AHCI and at larger queue depths I get the same speed as a single queue. I may not being seeing the whole performance picture. Additionally, it also doesn't generate any noise, uses up very little room, and gives off little heat which could be a boon for me as I'm planning to move to a "shoebox" type case within the next month or so.

I recently moved to a different storage hierarchy where everything that doesn't need to be installed (documents, pictures, ISOs, etc) is sent to a 2TB drive and everything else is sent to my Samsung F3. I'm only using about 60 GB so far on the F3 but we'll see if my habits make me run past 119GB (which is the formatted size of this SSD). Otherwise, it's getting sold or getting put in my netbook (though after reading through all of the stuff of getting it to work optimally on XP I don't know if it's worth the trouble until I can get a Win 7 license for it).

derFunkenstein wrote:Fortunately it is now out of stock, so I'm no longer tempted.

Don't worry, newegg says they'll have new stock in August. :D
Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Return to Hot Deals