120GB SSD for $85

Share critical consumer intelligence on deals and steals.

Moderator: Hoser

120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Thu May 03, 2012 5:11 pm

I noticed this yesterday from a newegg "customer appreciation discount codes" that you can get a:

120GB OCZ Agility 3 for $99 after MIR and take and extra 15% off with coupon code "BTENFGN45" to make it $85

120GB OCZ Vertex 3 for $125 after MIR and take an extra $18.75 off with the same code to make it $106.25

Pretty good deals I'd say.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Thu May 03, 2012 5:27 pm

Definitely for the Agility 3.
Bensam123
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 12:19 pm

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Thu May 03, 2012 8:36 pm

Make sure not to wait, the promo code only lasts till 5/6/2012
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Thu May 03, 2012 8:53 pm

The customer appreciation codes are something you get in yoru email that are tied to your account, IIRC, but still $100 for a 120GB drive is still a reasonably good deal. I don't think that anybody could use that code but you though - you get it a few days after you buy something from Newegg.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21296
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Thu May 03, 2012 9:28 pm

Yawn, wake me when they get to $1/GB

/front-page commenter
Krogoth wrote:Care to enlightenment me?
grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:49 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 5:31 am

Sorry, no. My work here is done.
Yawn
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 7:50 am

You waited a year and a half for that to be your first post?

Welcome to TR! You win all the internets and a cookie. Seriously, I about looked like a total idiot at work trying not to crack up. Well done, sir. :lol:
Krogoth wrote:Care to enlightenment me?
grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:49 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 8:00 am

grantmeaname wrote:You waited a year and a half for that to be your first post?

Welcome to TR! You win all the internets and a cookie. Seriously, I about looked like a total idiot at work trying not to crack up. Well done, sir. :lol:



At least he has good taste. OCZ will leave a bad one in your mouth. :D
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680
Circe - Disconnected and Disconcerted
gbcrush
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:36 pm

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am

grantmeaname wrote:Yawn, wake me when they get to $1/GB

/front-page commenter


...you want the price to go up? last time i checked my math $85/120GB is $0.71/GB.

Sorry in advance if the codes are actually tied to a specific account, its worth a try though. Like derFunkenstein said, $100 for the Agility 3 is good, the lowest price I've seen for a Vertex 3 120GB is $120 after MIR on 4/30/2012.

ugh, OCZ haters like gbcrush are not appreciated. Sure, OCZ are early adopters for SSDs, often rushing to market with them. The sandforce bug was not OCZs fault though. Many other companies fell into the same pitfall, some of those other companies didn't release a firmware fix for MANY MONTHS after OCZ (and shortly thereafter Corsair) released the "final fix" sometime last fall. (August?) IMO OCZ was definetly the most proactive with the sandforce bug. I have had no problems with my Vertex 3 and have no researvations about buying any of their products. I've also never had any problems getting my mail in rebates from them. Just have to be patient.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 9:47 am

Yeah, code no workie for me.

Your email address is not valid for redemption of promo code BTENFGN45
Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Detroit, Michigan

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 10:01 am

DPete27 wrote:ugh, OCZ haters like gbcrush are not appreciated.


Actually, you're right on a number of levels. I have a deeply ingrained bias against OCZ, and that's unlikely to change for a bit.

I also do like to harp on opportunities to mock them a bit, perhaps a bit more than I should. I offer my apologies for doing so in this thread, because 1) there are certainly people who have a favorable experience with OCZ as you have attested to and 2) you started this thread as a way of trying to help your fellow gerbil. I shouldn't be mucking around in that, and so I'm sorry.
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680
Circe - Disconnected and Disconcerted
gbcrush
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:36 pm

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 10:03 am

Just worked for me.
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit!
DLHM
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:23 pm
Location: Florida

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 11:16 am

Looks like your email address has to be on the list, even if it went to your spam folder or something. Still not working for me
Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Detroit, Michigan

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 12:59 pm

Dposcorp wrote:Looks like your email address has to be on the list, even if it went to your spam folder or something. Still not working for me


Are you subscribed to their newsletter email list? That would be required for sure.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 1:05 pm

DPete27 wrote:ugh, OCZ haters like gbcrush are not appreciated. Sure, OCZ are early adopters for SSDs, often rushing to market with them. The sandforce bug was not OCZs fault though. Many other companies fell into the same pitfall, some of those other companies didn't release a firmware fix for MANY MONTHS after OCZ (and shortly thereafter Corsair) released the "final fix" sometime last fall. (August?) IMO OCZ was definetly the most proactive with the sandforce bug. I have had no problems with my Vertex 3 and have no researvations about buying any of their products. I've also never had any problems getting my mail in rebates from them. Just have to be patient.


You're not fully informed. There are many reasons to hate OCZ, you're only looking at one of them. I personally have eaten several hundred dollars in the last few years due to OCZ's "support". Firmware bugs and design issues are one thing. OCZ has plenty of other things to not like as well.
Siglessness is boring.
Image - M4800-Eight1
Image - Vargr-Z97
Forge
Lord High Gerbil
 
Posts: 8012
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: SouthEast PA

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Forge wrote:You're not fully informed. There are many reasons to hate OCZ, you're only looking at one of them. I personally have eaten several hundred dollars in the last few years due to OCZ's "support". Firmware bugs and design issues are one thing. OCZ has plenty of other things to not like as well.


Fair enough. (wondering what "other things" are not to like) I have an OCZ Fatality 550W PSU and a Vertex 3 running in my main rig and have had no issues. Lets face it, people are more apt to complain about something in forums or in user reviews on newegg than to praise equiment that is working properly. If you or anyone had a bad experience with OCZ or any other manufacturer, you have a right to distrust that company. The problem is that when you write something that many people see, you're spreading your feelings of what might be an isolated infrequent bad experience to many other people that may have no pre-existing opinions or experiences of their own. I try to voice my satisfaction of products in defense of attacks like this, but I admit that my situation is also the opinion of one person making it a very small sample size. Perhaps my "defense" was a bit more pointed than necessary also, my apologies.

As a consumer, early adoption is always ill advised IMO. Even if everything works properly, you end up paying a premium for a "brand new" product. Waiting is especially important in the case of SSDs since all manufacturers/controllers have had problems (intel, sandforce, marvell, samsung). I waited patiently until the sandforce bug had been truly fixed last fall (which TR did a very nice job of announcing) to pull the trigger on my Vertex 3 and later a Corsair Force 3 and besides the fact that prices have dropped significantly even since then, I'm happy with my purchase.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 1:40 pm

DPete27 wrote:Fair enough. (wondering what "other things" are not to like) I have an OCZ Fatality 550W PSU and a Vertex 3 running in my main rig and have had no issues. Lets face it, people are more apt to complain about something in forums or in user reviews on newegg than to praise equiment that is working properly. If you or anyone had a bad experience with OCZ or any other manufacturer, you have a right to distrust that company. The problem is that when you write something that many people see, you're spreading your feelings of what might be an isolated infrequent bad experience to many other people that may have no pre-existing opinions or experiences of their own. I try to voice my satisfaction of products in defense of attacks like this, but I admit that my situation is also the opinion of one person making it a very small sample size. Perhaps my "defense" was a bit more pointed than necessary also, my apologies.


No problem whatsoever. I appreciate your even-handed and rational debate of the issues. I won't trot out a list of things OCZ has done, as I've already contributed to derailment more than I meant to, but a properly setup Google search can be enlightening. I'd suggest variations on that search, pull my name out and drop another related term in.[1] Just to establish timeline, I've linked an oldy-but-goody, from the days when OCZ had just gotten out of selling pretested overclocked CPUs and had just gone into selling ram. It's not an isolated incident, they've had repeated incidents in that vein since, and I've given them another try 2 or 3 times now. [2]

[1] http://goo.gl/pJGvi (Sorry for the shortener, but this URL was really long.)
[2] viewtopic.php?t=7282&highlight=ocz
[3] http://techreport.com/discussions/6293 Bonus super-WIN link I stumbled across after posting.
[4] http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20235 Comments #34 and #45 are pure gold.
[5] http://www.overclockers.com/forums/show ... p?t=672200 - More awesomeness. The last post in the thread, which is supposedly someone unrelated, comes out and swings for the fences defending OCZ. Account registered date matches posting date. No other posts, ever.

I'm not saying it's astroturf, and I doubt it was the great RyanP himself posting, but the writing style and word choice is familiar. If you're going to astroturf, keep the account around for a while, post some kinda-on-topic nonsense in unrelated threads for a while. Maybe don't register-post-forget. It's a giveaway.

The only OCZ product I've ever had that didn't fail was a heatsink. No moving parts.

[5] http://techreport.com/articles.x/14957 I'm never getting out of this thread. Sorry. Wasn't my intent.
Siglessness is boring.
Image - M4800-Eight1
Image - Vargr-Z97
Forge
Lord High Gerbil
 
Posts: 8012
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: SouthEast PA

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 2:38 pm

To be fair, I believe OCZ changed leadership sometime ago, and their products HAVE improved since then. They're still somewhat shaky periodically, but no more so than anyone else, really.
Having twins has dramatically reduced the time I have to nerd out.
Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2568
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Gilbertsville, PA

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 2:43 pm

Corrado wrote:To be fair, I believe OCZ changed leadership sometime ago, and their products HAVE improved since then. They're still somewhat shaky periodically, but no more so than anyone else, really.


http://www.linkedin.com/company/42992?trk=tyah

CEO Ryan Petersen

Has been since the generation 1 garage operation. He was the one original guy buying up Dresden-made Athlon 750MHz chips and 'pretesting' them. I bought one pretested to 1.1GHz since that was a very nice OC, and the price premium was small. Too bad it would fail Linux kernel compiles at 950MHz, much less Prime95 or other serious tests. That was my fault, too. My FOP38 hairdryer wasn't enough cooling, I was told. Later my OCZ RAM was great, it was my fault that it didn't work. It's never OCZ's fault.

Also, 'leadership change' and 'corporate restructuring' are routinely used at OCZ as code phrases for 'We're better now, we swear, but we're still not honoring your warranty.'

I really gotta get split off from this thread, I think.
Siglessness is boring.
Image - M4800-Eight1
Image - Vargr-Z97
Forge
Lord High Gerbil
 
Posts: 8012
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: SouthEast PA

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 2:49 pm

Forge wrote:http://www.linkedin.com/company/42992?trk=tyah

CEO Ryan Petersen

Has been since the generation 1 garage operation. He was the one original guy buying up Dresden-made Athlon 750MHz chips and 'pretesting' them. I bought one pretested to 1.1GHz since that was a very nice OC, and the price premium was small. Too bad it would fail Linux kernel compiles at 950MHz, much less Prime95 or other serious tests. That was my fault, too. My FOP38 hairdryer wasn't enough cooling, I was told. Later my OCZ RAM was great, it was my fault that it didn't work. It's never OCZ's fault.

Also, 'leadership change' and 'corporate restructuring' are routinely used at OCZ as code phrases for 'We're better now, we swear, but we're still not honoring your warranty.'

I really gotta get split off from this thread, I think.


I had some bad OCZ ram out of the box that they fixed no issues. However this was only 2 or 3 years ago.
Having twins has dramatically reduced the time I have to nerd out.
Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2568
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Gilbertsville, PA

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 2:58 pm

Corrado wrote:I had some bad OCZ ram out of the box that they fixed no issues. However this was only 2 or 3 years ago.


I think time between order and support request makes a big difference. If you're still inside the usual 7-30 day return periods, they seem to step up and replace things with little trouble. As soon as they know you can't return your RAM, you're on your own. I had a whole new system build, new architecture, new everything, so I spent almost 6 months trying to figure out if my CPU was bad, my motherboard, or my RAM. When I finally was sure it was the RAM, I contacted OCZ's RMA address. Bounced email. Tried again a week later, no read receipt, no reply. Waited a week, tried an old email I had, from someone who identified themselves as a senior VP a year before. Someone entirely different replied, told me that the VP had left the company (after being there one year). I presented my issues with my RAM, and mentioned the RMA troubles, and was told that OCZ didn't make bad ram. If OCZ made bad RAM, OCZ would know. I indicated that a 12GB kit with six sticks had a pretty decent chance of having one bad stick now and then, even with better-than-industry-average failure rates. I was told that my return had been denied and not to send any email to that address ever again. I tried my hand at the standard RMA address and was ignored again.

Then I ate 300$ of RAM that had never worked right, went out and bought some Crucial, and watched 90% of my system issues go away. Later my X58 mobo died just past the 3 year warranty mark, but I don't think that was related. The failure seemed to start around some SATA problems and grow fast.

So yeah, I have a bias. I spent nearly 500$ on OCZ products to date with a 100% failure rate. On the other hand, the heatsinks they sent me when they tried to mend fences were pretty decent. Not 500$ decent, though.
Siglessness is boring.
Image - M4800-Eight1
Image - Vargr-Z97
Forge
Lord High Gerbil
 
Posts: 8012
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: SouthEast PA

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 8:36 pm

DPete27 wrote:
Dposcorp wrote:Looks like your email address has to be on the list, even if it went to your spam folder or something. Still not working for me


Are you subscribed to their newsletter email list? That would be required for sure.

Yeah, I am, but I didnt get this deal in my email today, just some other stuff.

Forge, OCZ has had great support the last few times I used it (5 year old ram and 2 year old PS).
They treated me great, and I am running a lot of their products still
Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Detroit, Michigan

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 11:51 pm

DLHM wrote:Just worked for me.


Yes it is. You win internet forever.
NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 04, 2012 11:55 pm

OCZ, big risk.
AbRASiON
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:06 pm

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Sat May 05, 2012 12:15 am

Lol at NeelyCam
Dell Inspirion 530 Q6600 /4GB ram / 500GBHDD / Radeon HD7570 / Vista64 / 350W PSU
Dell XPS 8500 i7 3770 / 8GB ram /Corsair Force GT 120/ 2TB /Gigabyte GTX660 2GB Windforce/ 460W PSU / Win8
greenmystik
Gerbil
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:20 pm

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Sat May 05, 2012 12:35 am

Corrado wrote:To be fair, I believe OCZ changed leadership sometime ago, and their products HAVE improved since then. They're still somewhat shaky periodically, but no more so than anyone else, really.


Products may have improved some, support is still apalling.
AbRASiON
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:06 pm

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 18, 2012 8:13 am

A while ago TR did an article that ended up criticizing OCZ for something or other and OCZ's response was to start this beg attempt to discredit Tech Report. Anyone remember that? If anyone can dig that up I'd love to read it again for old time's sake.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 18, 2012 8:24 am

Well I just saw today that the Agility 3 120GB is now $200!!! and the Vertex 3 shot up to $190. What happened?
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 18, 2012 8:49 am

flip-mode wrote:A while ago TR did an article that ended up criticizing OCZ for something or other and OCZ's response was to start this beg attempt to discredit Tech Report. Anyone remember that? If anyone can dig that up I'd love to read it again for old time's sake.


How long ago? I hope someone can dig it up.
absurdity
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: VT

Re: 120GB SSD for $85

Postposted on Fri May 18, 2012 8:58 am

Only discussion that stirs up more debate than an OCZ SSD thread is a 'Mac vs PC thread'. Oh, speaking of which, the kids are soon getting out of school, so we are soon due for that thread resurrection as well ! :lol:
Intel i5 2500K@4.3, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD, Zotax GTX580, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB (RAID-0), Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Corsair H80, Win 7 Pro
Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:15 am

Next

Return to Hot Deals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest