MSI Primo 81 - 8" Tablet $65

Share critical consumer intelligence on deals and steals.

Moderator: Hoser

MSI Primo 81 - 8" Tablet $65

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:03 am

If anyone is interested in an entry level 8" tablet, Newegg has the MSI Primo 81 for $80 after MIR. Enter promo code EXLEMC2335 to bring your total down to $65!!!

I bought one of these a couple months ago for $80. It's my first tablet, and I couldn't justify spending $200+ for a tablet I wasn't entirely sure I'd even use. (I sit in front of a computer all day at work, have my phone with me at all times, HTPC, laptop (rarely used anymore), and my gaming rig at my disposal at home). I figured even if I didn't use the tablet, it would be nice to watch movies on the plane during monthly business trips.

The tablet has an aluminum shell of sturdy build quality, 1024x768 IPS screen (sometimes seems washed out IMO but I haven't made any color adjustments), same dimensions/aspect ratio as the iPad mini. I like the 8" screen size personally. 7" is almost too small, making me think my phone could be easily supplemented, and 10" is a lot to handle.
1GB of RAM can be limiting at times, just need to make sure to fully close games and you'll be ok (aka, swipe them off the windowed programs list). My previous phone had this same problem.
The "quad core" CPU leaves a little to be desired. The GPU can play most games perfectly smooth, but Clash of Clans is choppy. Clash of Clans is similar to Starcraft/Civ 5 with a lot of units and animations happening on screen, I presume it's a CPU-limited game.
Battery life is roughly 5 hours of movie-watching time at full brightness. Standby time is incredibly long...a week by my estimation?
MSI has released an Android 4.4 update also. Not many budget (or even mid-priced) tablets can match that.

Ultimately, I'm very happy with my purchase (even at $80 :roll: ). This thing is roughly 85% of the experience/performance of tablets 2-4x the price. I can't fathom how the BoM on this thing could even be $65...I suspect MSI is clearing inventory to make room for an updated version.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Re: MSI Primo 81 - 8" Tablet $65

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:51 pm

Forgot to mention, looks like the code ends 11:59PM on 6/5/2014.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Return to Hot Deals