AMD 7-series disk performance utility?

Discuss the core components that make up the heart and soul of any good computer.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Thresher

AMD 7-series disk performance utility?

Postposted on Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:16 pm

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_chipset.aspx

AMD offers a 7-Series Chipset Disk Performance Utility. What the heck does it do?

When you try to install the driver, you get the following warning:

Enable Advanced Hard Disk Performance
Recommended only for disks with a backup power supply. This setting further improves disk performance, but it also increased the risk of data loss if the disk loses power.

When you accept the warning and click Yes, the .exe just closes. No apparent installation, no control panel, nothing!

Does anybody have an idea what the utility does, how to tell if it works, and/or how to remove it?
x--x--x--x
Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Re: AMD 7-series disk performance utility?

Postposted on Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:17 pm

It probably just changes a registry setting that enables some sort of agressive write cache.
Desktop: FX-8350 | 32 GB | XFX Radeon 6950 | Windows 7 x64
Laptop: i7 740QM | 12 GB | Mobility Radeon 5850 | Windows 8.1.1.1.1 x64
SuperSpy
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:31 pm

SuperSpy wrote:It probably just changes a registry setting that enables some sort of agressive write cache.

Yeah, that was my guess, or something to do with NCQ. However, it's infuriating to me that there is no documentation on the web, in a readme, or in the program itself that describes what it does.
x--x--x--x
Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:36 pm

Spyder22446688 wrote:
SuperSpy wrote:It probably just changes a registry setting that enables some sort of agressive write cache.

Yeah, that was my guess, or something to do with NCQ. However, it's infuriating to me that there is no documentation on the web, in a readme, or in the program itself that describes what it does.

NCQ has nothing to do with needing a UPS.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:24 pm

Wonder if it is the same as Vista's advanced performance option. Looks to be about same. vista says "Recommended only for disks with a backup power supply. this setting improves disk performance, but increases chance of data loss if power outage. I wonder :-?
AMD Phenom II X4 840|Foxconn 780V|EVGA GTX660|4GB DDR2 800|Intel X-25M|NZXT 210|Corsair CX400|M-Audio BX8a Deluxe
GeForce6200
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:55 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Spyder22446688 wrote:

NCQ has nothing to do with needing a UPS.

Well... it is conceivable that allowing the drive to service requests out-of-order (which is what NCQ does) could increase the window for data corruption or loss in the event of a power interruption. Even journaling file systems like NTFS (and EXT3 on Linux) make assumptions about the order in which write operations are committed to the physical media. Anything that messes with that order will make the file system less robust.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:32 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:NCQ has nothing to do with needing a UPS.

Well... it is conceivable that allowing the drive to service requests out-of-order (which is what NCQ does) could increase the window for data corruption or loss in the event of a power interruption. Even journaling file systems like NTFS (and EXT3 on Linux) make assumptions about the order in which write operations are committed to the physical media. Anything that messes with that order will make the file system less robust.

However, assuming the same more conservative caching policy, when a request is done it is done. So you won't get the kind of corruption where the application thinks data is written but it is not. Data loss definitely, but I don't think corruption is it. A higher level corruption from the application point of view may be, but from an I/O standpoint, it completed the last request. Right? ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Return to Motherboards, Chipsets, & RAM