Dual Channel, one DIMM?

Discuss the core components that make up the heart and soul of any good computer.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Thresher

Dual Channel, one DIMM?

Postposted on Mon May 05, 2008 3:40 pm

So, I tried to upgrade my laptop (XPS Gen 2) From 1GB of RAM to 4GB.

Unfortunately, it turns out that the motherboard only supports 2GB. Right now, I have one stick of 2GB in there - but it's reporting that the chipset is running in "Dual Channel" mode. This is confirmed both in the BIOS and in CPU-Z.

Does that make any sense? Is it "assuming" that it's running in Dual Channel mode with 2GB installed?

Installing the 2nd 2GB DIMM results in the computer powering on for ~5 seconds (Hard Drive spinning, no display output) then shutting off. Installing one of the old 512MB DIMMs in there results in it booting and operating properly, but it "ignores" the second DIMM and reports only 2GB of RAM (CPU-Z only "recognizes" one module installed).
Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Re: Dual Channel, one DIMM?

Postposted on Mon May 05, 2008 4:08 pm

It isn't really operating in two channel mode. You'll be better off returning the memory for the appropriate modules.

Let this be a lesson to you. Always research what your hardware is actually capable of supporting.

I didn't do the research on my 440BX to find out that the board supports 128MB modules max, giving me 384MB total. I now have one 256MB module in there that is only seen as a 128MB.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.
titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon May 05, 2008 4:13 pm

I guess I didn't look hard enough...
Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon May 05, 2008 4:36 pm

The Crucial memory configurator is your friend. :-D
Taddeusz
Minister of Gerbil Affairs