Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

Mavlon
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Abit IP35 Pro w/e8400 cpu - CPU TEMP

Tue May 27, 2008 11:24 am

I just upgraded my pc a couple days ago and purchased a Abit IP35 PRO mobo with an Intel e8400 cpu.
I am having troubles with an intermittent error I think with the mobo cpu temperature sensor.
When I turn on the pc, I hear a beeping sound warning me that the cpu is too hot. When I get into windows, the mobo software that I installed pops open and it shows a temp of 126 degrees C. and then it shuts down.

When I reboot, I still hear beeping but I enter bios and go to look at the temp for cpu in bios and at first it says no found and then after a couple seconds it says 1 degree C. Then I exit Bios and the pc shuts down and starts back up again like normal and enters windows XP.

In Windows, I'll check the temp using the mobos software it came with and it says everything is ok and the current temp ranges between 0 'C to 6 'C. Normally around 3 'C Is this normal temp supposed to be this low??

I had to buy a bare cpu because Fry's was out of stock on the one that comes with the heatsink, so I bought a $20 cpufan that has 3 wires instead of four. I don't know if that makes a difference or if there is a setting in bios that needs to be changed, but I thought I would just mention that.

My temporary solution is to boot straight into bios and go to the cpu temp screen and wait until the beeping stops and it shows a stable temp. Then I exit and let it boot up normal and I dont have any problems. But it still says my cpu temp is like 3 'C and I don't know if it should be that low.

MrJP
Gerbil Elite

Re: Abit IP35 Pro w/e8400 cpu - CPU TEMP

Tue May 27, 2008 12:50 pm

Are you running the latest BIOS version? That would be my first guess.
i7-6700K ~ Asus Z170I Pro Gaming ~ 16GB Corsair DDR4-2400 ~ Radeon R9 Nano
Noctua NHU9S ~ Corsair Obsidian 250D ~ Corsair RM650X ~ Crucial MX100 512GB
SMSL M3 ~ Sennheiser HD555 ~ Logitech G500S/G910/G29 ~ LG 34UC79G

Mavlon
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue May 27, 2008 12:59 pm

I did some more searching on this subject on other forums and someone else had the same problem with the cpu temp showing only 3 'C.
He didn't have the problem with it showing over 100 'C but I think you are right about the Bios.
I guess the software only shows the cpu temp from a onboard sensor from the mobo and not the internal cpu core temp.
I'm not at home to check my bios version, but I didn't update it yet so I'm guessing that is the problem.
The other thread I read says to use "RealTemp" to find out my CPU Core temperature because it is more accurate.

Mavlon
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue May 27, 2008 1:04 pm

I read some more forums and found out that my normal operating temp should be around 39'C and 50'C under load.

This sounds more correct to me. I will update my bios when I get home this afternoon and see if it works out.
Hopefully this will also fix that intermittent error I get when I turn on the pc and it says the cpu is +100'C.

NoOther
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:25 pm

Probably problems with BIOS drivers on the motherboard. Also using realtemp or speedfan won't necessarily give you a more accurate depiction. They may only get what the BIOS tells them. You could actually have overheating problems.