Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

ncorn83
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Possible bad RAM slot...how to tell?

Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:28 pm

I have encountered some strange issues in a new build and think it may be a bad RAM slot on the motherboard. The board I have is a GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 and the RAM is CORSAIR Dominator DDR2 1066 (4 sticks totalling 4 GB). Processor is Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 and PSU is Antec NeoPower 650.

I initially wanted to test the power so I booted it up with only the motherboard, video card, RAM, and monitor. It continually rebooted itself. So I left in only 1 stick of RAM and it booted to the POST screen, which is good. I then tried each stick in each slot (all 16 combinations) and every time it booted to the POST screen, with the exception of one specific slot which only booted to the initial BIOS splash screen. When I put all 4 sticks back in, it booted all the way to the POST screen, which it didn't do originally.

Everything seemed okay, so I installed Windows XP Pro (with SP3) and had no problems. For unrelated reasons I reformatted the hard drive and attempted to reinstall Windows. This time it froze during the installation and kept doing so no matter how many times I tried. I then took out the RAM in the suspect slot and it installed right away.

Also, Windows only ever recognized 3 GB (even though it supports up to 4 GB), however the BIOS does recognize 4GB when all 4 sticks are in -- which I would think would not be the case if the slot is bad. Additionally, everything was done in a cool basement and under minimal (or no) load so I doubt heat is an issue.

So I am unsure what the problem really is -- please help me in determining and fixing this issue. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ncorn83
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Re: Possible bad RAM slot...how to tell?

Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:22 am

Thoughts or ideas, anyone?

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:30 am

Judging by what you've said, the slots may not be faulty and neither should the sticks themselves be. Voltage is the key.

It's easy to "fatigue" motherboard circuitry when fully loaded with 4 RAM modules. Increase voltage by 0.1, and if that doesn't work, add 0.2 V instead. It shouldn't be necessary to go beyond that.

adampk17
Gerbil XP

Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:55 am

And in regards to Windows only seeing 3 GB of your RAM you may want to read this thread: Dude, where's my 4GB?
Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost.

Core i7-8086K | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 3200 | SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G| Corsair CX750M PSU

NoOther
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:59 pm

Windows doesn't like to install with 4GB of RAM in your machine. You want to put in 2GB, install Windows, then put the other 2GB in. Then it should work without much of a problem. If you suspect an issue with the slot, you can put one of the sticks that tested well in the other slots and move it to the "bad" slot, then run memtest on it for a while and see what it comes up with.