Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

ryko
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

dead agp slot?

Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:50 pm

ok here is my story...the system below was working perfectly fine for a long time in a normal atx tower case. then i got the bright idea that i wanted to upgrade my ancient htpc and swap cases...once the system below was in my antec overture htpc case i couldn't get the system to POST.

a64 3200+ or opteron 144
dfi nf3 ultra-d
1gb giel ddr550 or 2gb crucial ddr500
sapphire x800xl agp or msi geforce 6200 agp
antec 450w or antec 380w
random ide hdd and dvd-rom for testing

for the life of me i cannot get any an agp video card working on this system. i have tried everything i can think of at this point. clear cmos a bunch of times, pull/switch cmos battery, swapped out all system components for known working ones...cpu, ram, video card, psu, etc...even tried only one stick of RAM in every single slot. have removed from htpc case and tried on open test bench...have tried putting it back into its original case even!

all things lead to the system hanging on POST...no beep codes or anything...fans and hdd just spin up and board sits there. there are 2 red leds on the board but they only indicate standyby/power on...no diagnostic leds like on the nf4 ultra-d.

however, i have been able to get the system to POST with the use of a geforce fx5200 pci card. once i got here...i flashed to the newest official BIOS form DFI and tried my agp cards again...nothing, same no POST. went back to the pci video card and tried a few more BIOSes...unofficial Tmod ones from dfistreet.com and older official dfi ones...nothing works with agp video cards!

i even have tested the agp slot with a multimeter while using the pci card. slot reads normal at 1.53-1.55v. reads normal in the BIOS too. agp clock is set to default 66...i have tried 67,68,69, even 70 with the same results...no POST, no beeps, nothing!

is there anything else that i might have missed? or have i somehow killed my agp slot in transferring cases? thanks.