Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

8800GTX SLI w/ 2 PCI cards, possible?

Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:54 pm

Is is possible? After the AMD event in Chicago I find myself the slightly quizzical owner of a Killer NIC, and since I have it I think I'd rather use it than sell it. However, my trusty P5N-E SLI only has but one PCI slot available since I added a second 8800GTX to my system a couple months ago and I've already got my X-FI Gamer occupying it... Sure onboard sound would probably be fine, but I want to keep my card in the system.

So... I start looking at new motherboards and it doesn't seem like what I want is out there in a regular ATX form factor... It looks like there should be enough room, but I can't find a board with a layout that will work... I've got a Q6600 BTW... Any suggestions?

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Re: 8800GTX SLI w/ 2 PCI cards, possible?

Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:36 pm

You're going to buy a new mobo simply to use a KillerNIC? As someone who's had hands-on time with the latter, I'd like to state that this is almost certainly NOT a good idea.

"Good money after bad" is the term, I believe.

And to be clear, I'm not saying that KillerNICs are bad, just that buying a new mobo (at 100$+, likely 250-300$) to have one seems to be a horrible idea. Your onboard NIC does 95%+ as much at a out of pocket cost of 0$.

P.S. - Had Googled and Newegged before posting this and found zero mobos that support the needed features (dual doublewide SLI slots that leave 2+ PCI open).
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:46 pm

Actually I'm kind of in the market anyway, my current board isn't the best for OCing quads but I think I could run 3.2 or 3.4 stable with something else... Being able to use the NIC was going to be icing on the cake... :-? I don't think it will happen though, as you've discovered the same thing I have. Maybe I'll pull my X-Fi out for awhile.

Farting Bob
Gerbil First Class

Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:54 pm

You can sell the NIC to someone with too much money and either keep your old setup and spend the money on beer or use the money to buy a high end board.