Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

ericfulmer
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Possible that tsunami will affect motherboard deliveries?

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:41 am

So, I was watching the news and saw these images of freight containers in Japan all thrown around by the tsunami. They looked like a bunch of legos swept into a corner.

Then I thought, a lot of those containers come to California, what might be in them? What if they have all of the new B3 chipset motherboards that are sold out or out of stock at Newegg?

Then I got sad.
-Eric

Please don't quote me on this.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Possible that tsunami will affect motherboard deliveries

Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:01 pm

ericfulmer wrote:
So, I was watching the news and saw these images of freight containers in Japan all thrown around by the tsunami. They looked like a bunch of legos swept into a corner.

Then I thought, a lot of those containers come to California, what might be in them? What if they have all of the new B3 chipset motherboards that are sold out or out of stock at Newegg?

Then I got sad.

So far ten thousand people are known to be dead - and many thousands more are still missing. Hundreds of thousands have been displaced, many of those losing everything they had. Millions are without power or other basic services.

And you're sad that you might have to wait a little bit for a new motherboard?

blorbic5
Gerbil

Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:02 pm

Aren't they made in taiwan?

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:52 pm

cphite wrote:
So far ten thousand people are known to be dead - and many thousands more are still missing. Hundreds of thousands have been displaced, many of those losing everything they had. Millions are without power or other basic services.

As uncompassionate as it sounds, I gotta worry about the things that affect me personally on a day to day basis. What good is him sitting around an grieving going to do for the people there? Maybe he donated what he could, and got on with his life. Can't sit and cry your life away for things out of your control.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:59 pm

blorbic5 wrote:
Aren't they made in taiwan?
Yes, or mainland China.

As this article at Fast Company details, Tech stuff that Japan produces include NAND (Toshiba), RAM (Japan supplies a lot of raw wafers as well as finished DRAM, and RAM prices are already rising by 7+%), and batteries (Sony makes batteries for a lot of other laptop mfrs).

And cars, of course, which almost count as tech these days. Virtually all the domestic production from Toyota and Honda is shut down, though of course they also have plants in other places: so if you're a north american in the market for an Accord or Camry, or one of the larger Toyota trucks or SUVs, which are mostly made in the US, you're probably all right -- as long as they weren't sourcing key parts from suppliers in Japan. Your Prius might be a little late, however.
Corrado wrote:
What good is him sitting around an grieving going to do for the people there?
Well, he appears to be grieving for motherboards instead. I think the reaction was to the words "I got sad" and what it was in reference to (and what it wasn't). Can't sit and cry your life away for things, period.

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:02 pm

Corrado wrote:
Can't sit and cry your life away for things out of your control.

Which is probably why you shouldn't lament a missed motherboard shipment due to acts of God...
x--x--x--x

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:02 pm

Corrado wrote:
cphite wrote:

As uncompassionate as it sounds, I gotta worry about the things that affect me personally on a day to day basis. What good is him sitting around an grieving going to do for the people there? Maybe he donated what he could, and got on with his life. Can't sit and cry your life away for things out of your control.

I'm not suggesting that he or anyone else should be sitting around grieving about anything. Just saying it's more than a little pathetic to be focusing on the potential for delayed computer parts in the face of all that's happening there.

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:05 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Well, he appears to be grieving for motherboards instead. I think the reaction was to the words "I got sad" and what it was in reference to (and what it wasn't). Can't sit and cry your life away for things, period.

I don't think he was crying. He asked a question. Instead of an answer he got the morality police yelling at him caring about the things that affect him. This is a tech site, and he asked a tech related question. This isn't a humanitarian site, where he should ask humanitarian questions.

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:09 pm

Corrado wrote:
Instead of an answer he got the morality police yelling at him caring about the things that affect him. This is a tech site, and he asked a tech related question.

... said the kettle.

And although this is a tech site, it doesn't operate in a vacuum.

But yes, back on topic. This is all I know on the subject re: motherboards and tech gadgets being delayed:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/14/japa ... f-gadgets/
x--x--x--x

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Please keep this thread off R&P territory, thanks for listening.

/mod
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

ericfulmer
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:55 pm

Imagine walking up to a bus stop and finding a horrific accident... the paramedics have responded, the police have responded, the news media have responded. You see all of this and ask the guy running the Starbourks next to the bus stop "Was that the 72-E bus, I need to get to work on time today?"
-Eric

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:02 pm

ericfulmer wrote:
Imagine walking up to a bus stop and finding a horrific accident... the paramedics have responded, the police have responded, the news media have responded. You see all of this and ask the guy running the Starbourks next to the bus stop "Was that the 72-E bus, I need to get to work on time today?"

More like seeing the horrific accident, walking into Starbucks, and then saying "once I realized that I might miss my bus to work, then I got sad."
x--x--x--x

ericfulmer
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Why assume the worst about someone? I come here for tech discussion, and once in a while -on a Friday night- a political discussion. I asked a legitimate tech question.

At least my comment was obviously and comically callow. The national news seems to suggest that the Japanese people are only important in their deaths' ability to contribute to California building codes and nuclear energy politics.
-Eric

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:46 pm

ericfulmer wrote:
Why assume the worst about someone?

ericfulmer wrote:
At least my comment was obviously and comically callow.

I bet you're a totally cool guy in person, but it seems your original post came across poorly. It did not seem obviously and comically callow to me. It came across as insensitive. Of course this is a tech site, so motherboards are a big thing. I bet if you had left out the "then I got sad" bit, nobody would have a beef, because you did ask a legitimate question. When read in conjunction junction, words have power, or some School House Rock crap like that.

To stay on topic, as people have said, most motherboards ship from other Asian countries. Based on what I've read, I doubt there will be any significant delay in getting a shiny new Sandy Bridge motherboard.
x--x--x--x

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Just drop all the off topic stuff. This is your last warning.

/mod
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

ericfulmer
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:01 pm

On topic... I thought that most shipping companies picked up all over Japan, Korea, China, and Taiwan before heading across the Pacific. It will be weeks and months before the entirety of the damage is understood. All kinds of tech shortages could result.
-Eric

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:14 pm

Off topic: I love Snickers candy bars (just because I have to buck the authority figures around here once in a while).

On topic: I still say even money or better on being able to order a replaced Sandy Bridge motherboard within 3-4 weeks.
x--x--x--x