New Build - Motherboard Bios Header

Discuss the core components that make up the heart and soul of any good computer.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Thresher

New Build - Motherboard Bios Header

Postposted on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:38 pm

New build that was working fine.. Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen3 motherboard. Using Corsair SSD on Marvel controller for boot drive. 1gb hard drive for programs and (2) 2gb drives in raid 1 for data.

Have found that a few times now the machine was found to have lost the boot drive. On on occasion I rebooted and it did not see the SSD so I reset the cable from motherboard to SSD. The SSD from Corsair does not have locking latch for the sata cable so I make sure it is pushed on but no latch which is concerning.

Today found that it lost the drive and then when restarted it hung at the first Asus screen for a few minutes prior to post and now is back online.

I was thinking of changing the sata cable for the SSD but still concerned about that the cable doesn't latch like other sata connectors.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you,
garycooper
Gerbil

Re: New Build - Motherboard Bios Header

Postposted on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:59 pm

Changing the cable is definitely worth trying (the current one may be defective). Unless the machine gets moved around a lot I wouldn't worry about having a latching SATA cable though.

Sounds more like a problem with the SSD to me. Does it have the latest firmware?

Also, what the heck is a "Bios header" and what does it have to do with this issue? Are you asking whether you should try using the "clear CMOS" jumper to reset the BIOS settings?
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:38 pm

Why are you running the SSD off the Marvell controller rather than the Intel chipset one? Whatever the reason, have you considered using one of the Intel SATA-III ports instead?
You can always get another locking cable if that turns out to be the problem, but for the purposes of trouble-shooting any SATA cable (preferably a known-good one) should do. Even the non-locking ones feel pretty secure IME.
just brew it! wrote:Sounds more like a problem with the SSD to me. Does it have the latest firmware?
Yes, there were issues with earlier firmware so you definitely want the latest.
Also, what the heck is a "Bios header" and what does it have to do with this issue? Are you asking whether you should try using the "clear CMOS" jumper to reset the BIOS settings?
I am puzzled also.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:36 pm

I have a Corsair Force 3 and they are notorious for having "loose" SATA connections. (Including mine) I second the notion of a firmware update and using an Intel SATA-III port. If I remember correctly, SSD manufacturers recommend using the Intel ports in their installation manuals.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:44 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
just brew it! wrote:Does it have the latest firmware?

I am puzzled also.

Maybe he updated his BIOS firmware itself? Google results come up with many questions/solutions for 'bios header': link 1 | link 2 | link 3 | link 4 as examples.
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to Motherboards, Chipsets, & RAM