Asus Striker Extreme 775 - Serious Issues

Discuss the core components that make up the heart and soul of any good computer.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Thresher

Asus Striker Extreme 775 - Serious Issues

Postposted on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:22 am

This is the second one of these boards that I've had in my shop in the past 2 weeks. This one belongs to a friend down in the states who had a no-boot scenario. I got the system here today and the first thing I noticed was that his Apevia (piece of crap) PSU had dark heat marks all over the aluminum case. So I cracked it open (being well past its warranty) and proceeded to check it out. What I found was horrifying, some components had completely exploded! I test it with an in house PSU and everything appeared to spin up (CPU fan, ect) which would not at all before. So I went out and picked up a new PSU (430w) which is more than enough for his system and have been testing it out on cardboard before shoving it back in the case. But the BIOS sometimes locks up and will not respond to keyboard commands (ohh great). I swapped out the 1 stick of ram he sent with it for a 1gb stick of new DDR2 I have in shop to test and it appears to lock up a lot less. I manage to boot into Windows 7 with it only to have it lock up when I plug it into the network. I recall seeing this same locking up in BIOS when I went to plug in a USB thumb drive. I was able to upgrade the BIOS (i know, risky) from one of back in 2007 to a newer 2010 BIOS (v2002), hoping it may bring some stability to the system. Its running a stock E6600 and an ATI 4830 in it.

Anyone else have this board and have issues? The only one I had also seemed to be flaky about whether it wanted to started. Seems to be that these boards (nvidia 680i chipsets) are truly a pile of crap.. or are just very finicky to power fluctuations, as the first guy had a PSU die in his, and it was flaky with the new supply. Bare in mind, the crappy Apevia PSU that was in this had ZERO PFC....
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

i5-2500K|Asus P67 Sabertooth|16GB Corsair 1600|MSI 7850 2GB|250gb Evo 840|Corsair 400R|ET750w PSU|Logitech G5|Dell 2420L|Corsair Vengeance 1300
Welch
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Re: Asus Striker Extreme 775 - Serious Issues

Postposted on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:24 pm

Apparently no one else purchased this pike of junk, or people are wanting to admit to owning one lol.... No worries.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

i5-2500K|Asus P67 Sabertooth|16GB Corsair 1600|MSI 7850 2GB|250gb Evo 840|Corsair 400R|ET750w PSU|Logitech G5|Dell 2420L|Corsair Vengeance 1300
Welch
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Re: Asus Striker Extreme 775 - Serious Issues

Postposted on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:02 pm

Quite impressed the motherboard works at all, if the old PSU exploded like you said! I suspect the board has taken some damage that may not be visible. It'd probably be worth testing the CPU, RAM etc. in a known-good board to make sure all is working, and either pickup a cheap 775 board to replay the hanging one or upgrade the core components to something newer.

For what it's worth, PFC has absolutely no effect on the DC side of things when it comes to PC PSUs. It really only affects the efficiency of a supply (and then only from the electricity company's point of view), and it's only moderately recently that power supplies have started to have PFC as standard, what with the push towards 80+ certification etc.
i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz | ASUS P8Z68-V | nVidia GTX780 | 32gb DDR3| 2x SSDs 2x HDD | Antec Solo II | Dell U2713HM
Mentawl
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Return to Motherboards, Chipsets, & RAM