Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

G.Skill Ares CL 9->8 worth $11?

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:37 am

Hi, I am building my first desktop and don't really get how much Cas latency matters in term of performance. My new desktop will be a dedicated gaming desktop for playing BF3, these Rams will be seated on a ASRock Extreme 4 Mobo:
I am considering these 2 Rams from G.Skill Ares series:

Basically(all 2X4G packs):
CL 9 DDR3 1600 -> 43.99
CL 8 DDR3 1600 -> 54.99

Is the CL benefit big enough to justify $11 or should I go with CL9 and save the money?

p.s If there is any other Ram you want to recommend for me feel free to do so, I need low profile ram though since I am using an aftermarket CPU cooler.
Last edited by sherlock on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jon1984
Gerbil XP

Re: G.Skill Ares CL 9->8 worth $11?

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:43 am

Can't you discuss all you questions on the first topic you created in System Builders Anonymous? :roll:
i5 3570K - Nepton 280L - P8Z77-V - 4x4Gb - 290X Gaming 4Gb - 2x F90 - Spinpoint F3 1Tb - S340 - CS750M
MX239H AH-IPS - Ryos MK - Kone Pure Military - HyperX Cloud - Win 10
Xiaomi Mi A2

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:01 am

Jon1984 wrote:
Can't you discuss all you questions on the first topic you created in System Builders Anonymous? :roll:

Updated my topic there to include this question:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=83042&p=1130950#p1130950

If that topic had more than 0 reply since yesterday morning I might have posted there. But what with the "Get off my lawn!" response when I post anything out side of that sub-forum?? What stops you from answering my question here?? It is a Ram related questions why can't I post in a Ram forum?

Jon1984
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:22 am

Of course you can :wink: It would be easier in just one topic if it were for me, but that's just my opinion :wink:

Answering you question, you won't see any difference, as long as you don't spend you day benchmarking :wink:
i5 3570K - Nepton 280L - P8Z77-V - 4x4Gb - 290X Gaming 4Gb - 2x F90 - Spinpoint F3 1Tb - S340 - CS750M
MX239H AH-IPS - Ryos MK - Kone Pure Military - HyperX Cloud - Win 10
Xiaomi Mi A2

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:07 am

sherlock wrote:
Jon1984 wrote:

If that topic had more than 0 reply since yesterday morning I might have posted there. But what with the "Get off my lawn!" response when I post anything out side of that sub-forum?? What stops you from answering my question here?? It is a Ram related questions why can't I post in a Ram forum?

It is generally accepted forum best practice. If you read the stickied threads in the SBA forum, it advises you to keep questions related to the same builds in one thread. There are 2 main reasons for that:
1. So we won't get so many threads created everywhere. Your build has generated what feels like 20 threads already. For people who read multiple forums, this may be annoying sometimes. And quite frankly, your build is not more important than any other forum poster.
2. Some people come in late to the thread (not all TR gerbils read the forums every day and keeping up-to-date on every thread). If you scatter the information around it will be hard for them to follow. Sometimes (not saying this is necessarily your case), a particular component choice can be affected by the overall context (such as primary usage, budget, etc.). Just a "random" question popping up asking "is X better than Y?" may not be very productive without considering the bigger picture. Are you going repeat all the information from all the other threads?

We are not telling you to "get off my lawn". Your little rant there showed some frustration on your part. Please understand that the readers trying to help you there may be overwhelmed by all your threads as well. It is a 2-way street.

Gerbils don't own the forums. Damage does.

Edit: BTW, please fix your links. Copying from the cart may not give you the full link. You can also do something with the [url =http://...] [/url] tags (remove the space) to format it more nicely.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:15 am

Save the $11 USD.

Memory latency has been a non-issue on modern system for years. The advanced per-fetch techniques and large on-die caches on CPUs masked any tangible benefit that may come from tighter latencies.

Memory bandwidth is a less straightforward as it depends on the applications in question, but for non-professional stuff memory bandwidth hasn't really been a problem with JEDEC-spec DIMMs even for new CPUs with integrated GPUs (which have to share the same bandwidth that CPU uses).
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:27 am

Flying Fox wrote:
sherlock wrote:
Jon1984 wrote:

It is generally accepted forum best practice. If you read the stickied threads in the SBA forum, it advises you to keep questions related to the same builds in one thread. There are 2 main reasons for that:
1. So we won't get so many threads created everywhere. Your build has generated what feels like 20 threads already. For people who read multiple forums, this may be annoying sometimes. And quite frankly, your build is not more important than any other forum poster.
2. Some people come in late to the thread (not all TR gerbils read the forums every day and keeping up-to-date on every thread). If you scatter the information around it will be hard for them to follow. Sometimes (not saying this is necessarily your case), a particular component choice can be affected by the overall context (such as primary usage, budget, etc.). Just a "random" question popping up asking "is X better than Y?" may not be very productive without considering the bigger picture. Are you going repeat all the information from all the other threads?

We are not telling you to "get off my lawn". Your little rant there showed some frustration on your part. Please understand that the readers trying to help you there may be overwhelmed by all your threads as well. It is a 2-way street.

Gerbils don't own the forums. Damage does.

Edit: BTW, please fix your links. Copying from the cart may not give you the full link. You can also do something with the [url =http://...] [/url] tags (remove the space) to format it more nicely.

Noted, I will try to remember that. You guys are welcome to discuss whether I should save $30 on the CM Storm Enforcer over the Phantom 410 in my System builder post.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:48 pm

As frequencies have gone up and CPUs more efficient with memory usage latency has mattered less and less outside of specific benchmarks, particularly in performance gain per dollar.

One place where lower-latency rated DIMMs have helped is with overclocking potential- essentially, up the volts and relax the latency vs. stock and overclock to your heart's content. Unfortunately this no longer leads to realizing more performance as both Intel and AMD CPUs aren't really constrained by DDR3-1600.

Thing is, it's $11 dude! If you're worried, spend it :).