Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Intel promises X79 to support TRIM on RAID 0

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:28 pm

On the heels of the finding that Intel is now supporting TRIM on RAID 0 in their latest RST drivers for 7-series chipsets, I was wondering if any X79 owners were feeling a little bit left out in the cold.

My question is whether anyone thinks it likely that Intel will release this feature in a future RSTe release for X79? (Apparently the storage controller - C600 - on the X79 is similar to that on the 6-series boards and perhaps they won't bother).

However, I wonder how different the C600 controller in the X79 is from the 7 series storage controllers. While the X79 uses RSTe instead of mainstream RST storage drivers, I've heard of people who've forced RST on the X79 (and some have claimed superior performance). Does anyone have any experience with this or an idea of whether the new RST drivers can be installed on X79 boards, and if so, if this will enable the TRIM functionality in RAID 0?

Not the end of the world with the newer SSDs, but the it's the principle of the thing. X79 was marketed as the high end enthusiast chipset. But then that's often the way these things go...

Maybe if Intel sees enough of these posts they'll decide to work on it... :lol: Ahhh.. That's a good one.
Last edited by cynan on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbraslins
Gerbil

Re: RAID 0 SSD TRIM support on X79

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:03 pm

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/sto ... on-to-x79/

Amidst the outrage from understandably miffed enthusiasts, we reached out to Intel and asked about their plans for X79 users. Their response should put some of you at ease:
Current RSTe drivers specific to X79 do NOT support TRIM on RAID 0, but an updated RST driver version coming soon will add support for X79 based systems, including the TRIM on RAID 0 feature. Note that on client 7-series chipsets (non X79), RST driver version 11.0 and beyond supports TRIM on RAID 0. -Intel

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: RAID 0 SSD TRIM support on X79

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:27 pm

You da man! Thanks for the link!

Edit: Title changed to reflect this news