New RAM for an old PC

Discuss the core components that make up the heart and soul of any good computer.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Thresher

New RAM for an old PC

Postposted on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:30 am

Up until recently I was running 4gigs of DDR2 667 RAM on a 6 years old core 2 duo windows xp 32bit pro PC.

About a week ago I started having a ton of crashes and BSOD at first I thought I had a virus or something but long story short after checking everything it turns out that my RAM had gone bad. I had an old gig of DDR2 667 RAM laying around so I threw that in and it did the trick no more BSOD no more crashing etc etc.

However, now i'm sing my PC with just a gig of RAM and I can def feel the slowness now.

Now before everyone here tells me that I should buy a new PC etc etc let me just say that it's not an option for now i'm short on money and I also have many bills to pay. However by the start of the next year I should be good with my income tax return. Till then I have to stick to this old DELL. My PC is a Dell Inspiron 530 this PC here http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2328605,00.asp.

I was checking out RAm on newegg.com and I found a bunch of "compatible" RAM for my PC however I don't trust the compability tool very much. This is the RAM that i'm interested at the moment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231120

My question is will my dell PC actually support 2 gigs of RAM per slot? I know it can take 1 gig per slot since I used to have all the slots full (1gig per slot). If I get the RAM from newegg I can have 4 gigs of ram (2gigs per module) running in dual channel mode, but i'm not sure if my PC can handle 2gig modules. If this works it would be a nice easy, non expensive fix for the time being.

Any helpful tips or advice will be greatly appreciated.
diasflacog
Gerbil First Class

Re: New RAM for an old PC

Postposted on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:59 am

Without hunting around deep in the hard-to-find Dell motherboard service manuals to check 2GB DIMM compatibility, you could just suck up $10 and get a couple of these 2 x 1GB kits instead (free shipping)

edit:
Actually, if the Crucial compatibility check is anything to go by, your Inspiron 530 motherboard can't handle 2GB DIMMS. You don't have the choice and will need to use 4 x 1GB. (technically, if you're out of money, you could buy a single 2 x 1GB kit, retain your existing 1GB module and run with 3GB).
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:47 am

Chrispy_ wrote:Without hunting around deep in the hard-to-find Dell motherboard service manuals to check 2GB DIMM compatibility, you could just suck up $10 and get a couple of these 2 x 1GB kits instead (free shipping)

edit:
Actually, if the Crucial compatibility check is anything to go by, your Inspiron 530 motherboard can't handle 2GB DIMMS. You don't have the choice and will need to use 4 x 1GB. (technically, if you're out of money, you could buy a single 2 x 1GB kit, retain your existing 1GB module and run with 3GB).

Thank you for the quick reply. I heard that if you run RAm from different manufactures it can cause problems...CPU-Z tells me (Slot 1) that my RAM is made by MOSEL and the timings are 5-5-5-15-20 Voltage is 1.8v.

Would this be an issue with the RAM you want me to get from Crucial? If not I may go that route.
diasflacog
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:58 am

No, you'll be fine;
The issue is when the RAM timings and voltages from different RAM are mixed, and the motherboard isn't good enough to work this out.

The new and old RAM modules are both 667MHz with CAS-5 timing, running at 1.8V so they're as close to a match as you can get, really.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:18 am

Why are you only running with 1 gig now? Seems a bit far-fetched that all 4 of your original DIMMs would've gone bad. Why can't you use two of them in dual-channel mode for a total of 2 GB, or three of them for 3 GB (but losing the dual-channel capability for 1 GB of it)?

4 GB vs. 3 GB doesn't help you much (other than allowing all of your RAM to run in dual-channel mode), since you've got a 32-bit OS.

If you do end up buying more RAM, my recommendation would be to go with Kingston ValueRam. I've had very good luck with them compatibility-wise.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:01 am

Inspiron 530?

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2008/04/do ... -you-read/
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2008/04/mo ... piron-530/

Update the BIOS and I believe it will see up to 8 GB of RAM. Not that it helps you any with Windows XP.

I just got 32 GB of RAM to work my Dell XPS 8300 which Dell (and Crucial, going by Dell's specs) claim to only support 16 GB of RAM. Sure, you need Win7 Pro or better to use more than 16 GB, but the motherboard supports it just fine.

I gots an Inspiron 530 myself with a Q6600. I do want to upgrade that to a Q9300 and max the RAM but it's a secondary system so not high on my list of must-do-nows. It's possible the extra RAM will only be seen on the quad-CPU models but mine should work so I haven't really delved too much into it. If you don't have a quad, it'd be safest to get 1 GB chips or at least be prepared to return 'em if they don't work.

And hell, this guy had a dual-core system that could handle 8 GB so who knows. I see it said that there were 5 versions of the 530 made any only the "a" and "c" versions could do 8 GB.

http://lukeaddison.com/dell-inspiron-53 ... ble-is-it/

Also some other TR blokes have 530's and have upgraded: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=81508

Also, what JBI said.
Last edited by Scrotos on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:06 am

If you are looking for DDR2 ram, I have some that I am trying to sell. I know this isn't the BB, just letting you know. I have 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 DHX or 4x2GB OCZ Reaper. PM me if you are interested as I too was looking for DDR2 not long ago, new stuff is going to be overpriced nowadays.
AMD Phenom II X4 840|Foxconn 780V|EVGA GTX660|4GB DDR2 800|Intel X-25M|NZXT 210|Corsair CX400|M-Audio BX8a Deluxe
GeForce6200
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:58 am

just brew it! wrote:Why are you only running with 1 gig now? Seems a bit far-fetched that all 4 of your original DIMMs would've gone bad. Why can't you use two of them in dual-channel mode for a total of 2 GB, or three of them for 3 GB (but losing the dual-channel capability for 1 GB of it)?

EXACTLY what he said!!! Test each stick, one at a time, in the same known working slot overnight. Chances are pretty good that just one stick went bad. If the timings and voltage of the old 4x1GB ram and your "new" 1GB stick are the same a Chrispy noted, you can simply swap out the bad stick and you're back up and running with 4GB of RAM again!!
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Return to Motherboards, Chipsets, & RAM