Hybrid Memory Cube

Discuss the core components that make up the heart and soul of any good computer.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Thresher

Hybrid Memory Cube

Postposted on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:48 am

I read about this a while back ( years now I guess ). Nice to see it moving along. Should help dramatically in the miniaturization of computers. And also to the speed that we desire.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2 ... hmc-spec/1
south side sammy
Gerbil

Re: Hybrid Memory Cube

Postposted on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:03 pm

It looks like an extremely interesting standard, although I'm not sure what it would look like from a hardware implementation. Would the HMC be an on-package module that sits very close to the CPU, or would there be some form of socket/slot/connector/etc. for removable modules. I think we'll be seeing the first implementations end up in high-end servers, so they can work on the form factors there.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Re: Hybrid Memory Cube

Postposted on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:10 pm

I remember reading about this a few years ago too.

IMO the biggest question mark is going to be cooling. By stacking the chips that way you're significantly increasing the power consumption, but the exposed exposed surface area of the chip package stays essentially the same. The heat from the chips in the middle of the stack also need to pass through the chips around them to get out. So getting rid of the heat potentially becomes an issue... if these memory cubes end up needing active cooling then they are a considerably less attractive option.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Return to Motherboards, Chipsets, & RAM