Gateway Bios (battery) help

Discuss the core components that make up the heart and soul of any good computer.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Thresher

Gateway Bios (battery) help

Postposted on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi folks.

Long story short, how do you update the bios on a gateway mc7801u laptop?

A friend of mine has a gateway mc7801u laptop. They've got the battery error where the battery shows empty even though it's charged. New adapter, new battery. Battery works fine when I remove and replace while AC power is plugged in, shows 90 something %. When I unplug the cable (when showing 90%) it drops to 0% and shuts off within a few seconds.

The laptop runs fine without the battery while AC is plugged in.

Battery diagnostic doesn't work, comes back with the overvoltage error. Tried to flash to the newer bios from 99.03 to 99.15 per gateway's website. I get a -144 error with winphlash, general consensus on the internet seems to be to flash the bios with a usb stick.

I formatted a usb flash drive, used bootsect /nt60 which seemed to work fine, copied the assorted contents of the winphlash file downloaded from gateway over and tried to boot. It loaded from the stick but I got a "bootmgr missing" error. Tried to copy the bootmgr file from the laptop to the flash drive but got more error messages when I restarted.

Where do I go from here?
Esrik
Gerbil In Training

Re: Gateway Bios (battery) help

Postposted on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:25 pm

Make a DOS USB bootdisk? Google for "usb boot disk" and see what you can find.
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:27 pm

Scrotos wrote:Make a DOS USB bootdisk? Google for "usb boot disk" and see what you can find.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 33501b87a4
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:31 pm

What BIOS are you using? I found this: http://support.gateway.com/us/en/produc ... er=MC7801u

Inside that BIOS ZIP is 9930a.EXE and 9930a_Win.exe and I don't see any files inside of them that you can extract. Also, nice work Gateway, no install instructions.

I'm assuming you make a boot disk and just run 9930a.exe to get it updated. That also appears to be a later version than 99.15 that you found? Maybe try the Windows version of that.
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:34 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Scrotos wrote:Make a DOS USB bootdisk? Google for "usb boot disk" and see what you can find.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 33501b87a4

Yeah, I've had poor luck with the HP tool. I actually have two different ones installed right now and a third (the one mentioned in the link) was installed but I removed it.

Heck, I'll give it another shot. I'm always on the lookout for an easy way to make a bootable USB drive!
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks all for the quick replies!

Scrotos wrote:9930a.EXE and 9930a_Win.exe
- Sorry, my typo, I did try the 9930a_Win. The win version came up with the -144 error (seems to be because the laptop thinks the battery is bad even when the mains was plugged in, which lead me to updating the bios which led me to the -144 error... nice catch 22 there).

So far the trouble was getting the boot usb to work, so that I could access the dos 9930 file instead of the windows one. I was hoping there was an easy way to have it flash the bios automatically but looks like I was wrong.
Esrik
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:04 pm

Esrik wrote:So far the trouble was getting the boot usb to work, so that I could access the dos 9930 file instead of the windows one. I was hoping there was an easy way to have it flash the bios automatically but looks like I was wrong.

Try the method that Ned linked to. If it works, it's easy. I more or less used the same method to make a boot USB for BIOS updates myself.
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Return to Motherboards, Chipsets, & RAM