[Solved!] Asus p8z77, three short beeps can't boot

Discuss the core components that make up the heart and soul of any good computer.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Thresher

[Solved!] Asus p8z77, three short beeps can't boot

Postposted on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Hey guys, I have an asus p8z77 with corsair vengeance ddr3 2x8gb ram installed.

After I power on the system, I get 3 short beeps and the system seems to restart. I couldn't find a beep code that matches, all the error codes state one long beep followed by a series of short ones.

I can sometimes see the asus logo on the monitor, pressing del doesn't get me anywhere. The members ok led also blinks red.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Thanks for everyone's input! Everything was tested bit by bit and all seemed to work fine. It must have been the standoffs causing a short!
Last edited by The_Songster on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Songster
Gerbil

Re: Asus p8z77, three short beeps can't boot

Postposted on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:46 pm

Was the system operating fine before this, or is this a newly assembled system?

You're using the integrated graphics? The fact that you can sometimes see the logo suggests it's not something like a short but more like thermal or power problems. You've verified that all the cables are plugged in correctly? The DIMMs are fully seated? The heatsink is properly mounted (and the fan runs)?
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Oops, forgot more info. New build, have ati6950 from previous comp. All cables are plugged in, double checked. I popped both dimms up and reaeated, though they are in the a2 and b2 slots (recommended in mobo manual) .

I'm thinking it may be that I need more thermal paste for my cpu? I got a noctua d-14 hsf. And it took me a little bit before I put the hsf on after applying initial thermal paste. I put a small dab on, should I spread it evenly with anything?

I think my case is working ok, I did some googling and some guy said his reset button was stuck but don't think that applies.

During rebooting, system doesn't always make it to asus screen. I can tell it's somewhat booting because the led on my monitor turns blue.
The_Songster
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:10 pm

The_Songster wrote:Oops, forgot more info. New build, have ati6950 from previous comp. All cables are plugged in, double checked. I popped both dimms up and reaeated, though they are in the a2 and b2 slots (recommended in mobo manual) .

I'm thinking it may be that I need more thermal paste for my cpu? I got a noctua d-14 hsf. And it took me a little bit before I put the hsf on after applying initial thermal paste. I put a small dab on, should I spread it evenly with anything?

I think my case is working ok, I did some googling and some guy said his reset button was stuck but don't think that applies.

During rebooting, system doesn't always make it to asus screen. I can tell it's somewhat booting because the led on my monitor turns blue.

Until we get more details, i'm betting the mobo is broken.

I very much doubt the problem would be caused by insufficinet TIM. During boot the CPU stays at low frequencies and with little load there is no way it's overheating so much that it would shut down the system.

It's hard to test the mobo without a replacement but try to connect as little parts to it as you can and as little wires as well. You can connect the monitor to the mobo DVI or VGA. Just install the CPU (with the CPU cooler), connect the 24 pin mobo connector and the 8 pin CPU connector and try to power it on using a flat screw driver instead of the power on switch from the case (disconnect them). No RAM, no dedicated video card and no HDD and work from there. Check the error beeps you get and see if you can find the bad component.

Edit
If you wanna reapply TIM do check the CPU seating and more importantly see if there are any socket pins bent.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:19 pm

How can I power it on with a flathead? Never heard of it before.

I'll have to remove my noctua hsf to take off dimms. Do I need to clean/reapply thermal paste each time?
The_Songster
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:26 pm

The_Songster wrote:How can I power it on with a flathead? Never heard of it before.

I'll have to remove my noctua hsf to take off dimms. Do I need to clean/reapply thermal paste each time?

Bridge the start button pins on the mobo with the screwdriver. It's a momentary-contact switch so if it starts you don't need to hold the screwdriver there for it to keep running.

If you're gentle in removing the HSF, you should be OK.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:27 pm

The_Songster wrote:How can I power it on with a flathead? Never heard of it before.

With a flat screw driver, place the head on top of the 2 pins on the motherboard to which the power switch connector, well connects to, from the case.

This is the first video i could find in such a short notice (and oh the irony, he used a star screw driver, hahahaha)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4FOBL1c3pA

And yes, it is recommended to clean TIM and reapply when reseating the CPU cooler (notice recommended, not that it won't work if you don't it's just that you'll get air bubbles and possibly less TIM contact resulting in worse temps).

Edit
Since you wanna rule out any issues caused by electric short circuits, you should also check if the stand offs are installed correctly.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Often a three-beep alert has to do with RAM. I would advise sticking in just one module of RAM, and try the various slots. My dad had an issue where there was only one slot in his motherboard that accepted RAM. He took it back to Fry's for diagnostic, and they exchanged it for a new one.

Motherboards are the issue 90% of the time when it comes to DOA hardware. Hard Drives are the next ones to suspect, but a defective HDD wouldn't produce those three beeps.
Star Brood
Gerbil First Class
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Ok posting an update.

Booted with cpu, hsf and mobo speaker. Got error code for no ram. (now I know what a long beep is!)

Put in one stick of ram, booted with beep code telling me I need keyboard.

Does this mean mobo is actually working?

Edit:
Will be testing other ram stick in both slots.

Tightened a few standoffs too, maybe it was causing some short.
The_Songster
Gerbil

Return to Motherboards, Chipsets, & RAM