Will SanDisk ULLtraDIMM SSD eliminate OS boot drive??

Discuss the core components that make up the heart and soul of any good computer.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Thresher

Will SanDisk ULLtraDIMM SSD eliminate OS boot drive??

Postposted on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:39 pm

If the only reason we have a hard drive (other than long term storage,etc) is to load the OS into RAM, and these bad boys don't lose their contents on power cycle then am I to assume an almost instant-on System minus the POST time?

Link....

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/sandis ... m_ssd.html
MSI X58A-GD65, i7-920@3.8, EVGA 660 GTX SC SLI, Neutron 240 GB,2.75 TB Spindle Storage,ASUS DVD-RW, 6GB Patriot, Win 7 & 8.1 & Kubuntu Triple Boot, ASUS VK278 on DisplayPort.
zenlessyank
Gerbil

Re: Will SanDisk ULLtraDIMM SSD eliminate OS boot drive??

Postposted on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:43 pm

Did we somehow get transported forward in time to April 1rst? Is The Doctor around??

Sticking flash in a DIMM slot sounds cool- but you have to wonder how that's much more effective than putting it on the PCIe bus, which is already happening. It's hard to see how this configuration would be more effective than hanging loads of flash off PCIe with native controllers that have similar access times while reserving all of the DIMM slots for actual RAM.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:43 am

If I'm reading this right, what they're essentially doing is providing a specialized SSD with a higher bandwidth interface (one that is electrically compatible with existing DRAM controllers) than SATA (or even PCIe) can provide.

This is clearly a niche product aimed at enterprise use. It won't be affordable for mere mortals. It almost certainly requires customized BIOS and OS support, since it sits on the DRAM bus but acts like flash. "Normal" systems won't know how to take advantage of that.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:44 am

The product is evolutionary. The more interesting part is that this is the first time I've visited guru3d in ages...
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:01 pm

Yeah, this clearly will need customized UEFI and OS support for proper implementation. I don't get why people just assume it's a drop in replacement. Lets say for the moment that didn't matter however, even if it worked for desktops giving up half of your desktop memory bandwidth would really hurt performance. So forget about using it in a dual-channel system. It would only really be viable for Ivy Bridge-E Quad-channel systems since they have a one or two channels to spare.

It's a really cool idea that opens the door to some interesting server designs. There's already a perfect spot for it in datacenters from Facebook or Google, where they use SSDs as a third tier high-capacity fast-access "RAM" layer.
Kougar
Gerbil Team Leader

Return to Motherboards, Chipsets, & RAM