Temp Issues and recent BIOS update

Discuss the core components that make up the heart and soul of any good computer.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Thresher

Temp Issues and recent BIOS update

Postposted on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:16 am

Hi.

Around the holidays, I applied the latest BIOS update for my motherboard, an Asus P7X79 WS.

The last week or so my folding production had fallen off almost 20%, so today I decided to apply windows updates, and reboot. At the time I was preparing to reboot, I noticed that the temperature LED indicator on the waterblock/pump (Corsair H80i) was a bright yellow. Usually, It's blue.

So I first did a "restart" because that causes a complete system kernel restart in Windows 8.1. When the board posted, a message came up saying that there was a CPU overheat problem. But it was still running, and the LED was still only yellow, not red. So the PC booted into Windows, then I decided to do a complete shutdown and cold restart to give the CPU, motherboard, PSU, and fans a chance to start cold.

No problems, and no messages this time. The system booted into windows, and the temps reported by CorsairLink2 (the monitoring software that comes with the H80i) started up in the high-70s but fell over time and now reports a CPU temp of 58 C. But I'm not running folding at the moment; I'm a bit afraid to start it up. The LED on the waterblock is now an alternating dim and bright orange.

The Asus monitoring software now reports 49.0 C for CPU temp.

Question: Back around the holidays I put on the latest BIOS for this motherboard. Is it possible that the new BIOS could have mucked something up with regards to the BIOS and/or motherboard's own internal monitoring?

Additional: Folding drives CPU temp up to 91c for CPU according to CorsairLink, but only 68c according to the Asus monitor.
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Re: Temp Issues and recent BIOS update

Postposted on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:51 am

Try Core Temp and GPUZ or OpenHardwareMonitor for checking temps. My Asus software isn't very smart at reading temps. Most reliable will be the BIOS temps.
Intel i5 3570K - Corsair A50 - Asus P8Z77-V - Corsair 2x4Gb - Asus 280X Direct CU2 - 2x Corsair F90 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb - Antec One Hundred - Corsair CS750M - ASUS MX239H AH-IPS - Logitech LS21 - Logitech K520 Combo - Win 8.1
Nokia Lumia 920
Jon1984
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:57 am

BIF wrote:Question: Back around the holidays I put on the latest BIOS for this motherboard. Is it possible that the new BIOS could have mucked something up with regards to the BIOS and/or motherboard's own internal monitoring?

Yes. I had an Asus board several years back which reported incorrectly high temperatures with a particular BIOS revision. I knew something was wrong, so I just remained cautiously skeptical. The next BIOS revision fixed the problem, and the temp readings were back to normal.

I would just make absolutely sure before you write it off as being the BIOS.
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:32 am

One alternative is to fallback to the old BIOS. I hope I have it/remember which it was.
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:21 am

I would try the revision just prior, assuming the newest revision wasn't released to fix a major issue. If it fixes the temp readings, consider notifying the manufacturer so they can fix the issue.
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:39 am

Sounds like an issue with the pump to me. Temp throttling is handled by the CPU itself IIRC, and the BIOS is not involved. The only way I could see a BIOS update being a factor is if the BIOS had control over the pump speed, and that would be if the pump was only connected to a fan header and not to the PSU.
TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:18 am

Hmmm, I built it over a year ago so I don't recall if it connects to the motherboard, but it's a standard H80i by Corsair. I wonder if the 24/7 folding since last July has revealed a flaw in the loop. I'll look up the doc later. GPU folding seems to be unaffected; but overall production is way down and today the LED is still a fading/brightening orange.

The monitors report the same temps as yesterday.
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:44 am

TwistedKestrel wrote:Sounds like an issue with the pump to me. Temp throttling is handled by the CPU itself IIRC, and the BIOS is not involved. The only way I could see a BIOS update being a factor is if the BIOS had control over the pump speed, and that would be if the pump was only connected to a fan header and not to the PSU.

It all depends on how it's getting its temperature reading. In my particular case, the buggy BIOS caused the CPU to report temperatures 10-12C higher than the actual temperature. This wasn't just when viewing in the BIOS, but with any monitoring program or anything checking the CPU temp. The system was a Core2Duo on a P45 (P5Q Pro).
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Return to Motherboards, Chipsets, & RAM