P7P55D-E Pro and win 8.1

Discuss the core components that make up the heart and soul of any good computer.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Thresher

P7P55D-E Pro and win 8.1

Postposted on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:26 pm

I realize most of you here are using bleeding edge stuff so I hope you don't mind if I ask for help with something a bit retro.

Anyway, this weekend someone asked if we could get his win 7 home premium upgraded to win 8.1 pro. So like a dummy I said sure. The egg had a nice $40 discount this weekend so it was ordered after the guy called me 2 hours before the promo expired. Make a long story short, the board is an Asus P7P55D-E Pro and I didn't know this sucker was a wee bit old. It uses the P55 Express chipset and Asus does not have win 8 chipset drivers or anything win8 for it. Can't blame Asus as Gigabyte doesn't have it either for their boards. Finally tracked it down to Intel not making any P55 drivers for win 8 or at least I can't find any. Since this is Intel's chipset then it would be their responsibility to make the drivers but they're not making the drivers. I guess this is to force people to abandon the old computers if they want to upgrade to Win 8. Makes sense from business point of view.

I was able to track down some win 8 drivers for the other parts of the board but not the chipset. Does anyone have an ancient board tucked away somewhere using the P55 chipset and happily running windows 8 pro and can give advice on the chipset drivers? The windows disk will be arriving soon and I'm just a wee bit annoyed that I didn't check the drivers. I just assumed they would be available but then I didn't ask what kind of computer it was until Tuesday night.

Thanks.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil

Re: P7P55D-E Pro and win 8.1

Postposted on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:31 pm

You can grab eval ISOs from Microsoft and go through a test install to see if the default drivers cover the P55. Chances are they will.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:25 pm

You can try to see if the Win8 drivers work.

http://pcsupport.about.com/b/2013/11/20 ... sta-xp.htm

I have the non-Pro version and I am looking to upgrade eventually too.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:35 pm

Microsoft generally integrates older Intel chipset drivers into Windows. I think I've gotten Win8 running on computers with Intel 4x chipsets, so I'd wager that his 5x-based board (first-gen Intel Core i processor, right?) will be fine.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:43 pm

Don't even worry about it. I have Windows 8.1 (64-bit) running fine on two old Dell Optiplex 780 workstations with Core2 Quad Q9400 processors, using default drivers. One of those was a clean install. The other was originally set up as a Win7 Home (64-bit) install on a Socket 939 AMD board with an Nvidia chipset and ATi graphics, upgraded in place to Win8 64-bit, and later the hard drive was moved into the Optiplex without moving the GPU over. Windows reconfigured itself for the new hardware in about five minutes. It was then upgraded to Win8.1 and is running smoothly using the onboard video.

If it survived that, it should be absolutely fine with anything new enough to support Core iX series processors.
Last edited by ludi on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:45 pm

I'm 99% certain that there will be "in-box" drivers included in Win 8 for the P55 chipset. There may some peripheral stuff like the "Management Engine" and so forth that requires you to hunt down some various driver installers, but I think you'll probably be in pretty good shape.

Intel has chipset drivers available if you're really concerned about it (they say they are only for Intel-branded boards, but I've used them in the past extensively on MSI, Asus, etc):
downloadcenter dot intel dot com (No URL posting allowed for me, apparently.)

Also, as a former owner of a P7P55D-E board, I would recommend starting with a BIOS update. That board has it's share of quirks with the early BIOS revs. (Protip: Always make sure to check what the "SATA Controller Mode" is set to in BIOS before updating, lest it get switched to a different value after the update and cause the system to not boot with a lovely 7B BSOD.)
divide_by_zero
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Thanks for the many suggestions. I did install the 8.1 pro from MSFT and using the generic install key. Only problem was the ATK0110 driver. Tried to do a windows update hoping it would fix itself but windows didn't seem to want to update with the generic key and I'm not ready to just plug in the OEM key.

The ATK0110 looks to be an Asus thing. I found many different versions of this animal. So far everything I tried failed and I'm not willing to grab anything from those suspicious sites.

Intel has some kind of tool on their website for checking drivers so I'll try that today or next week. What's great about the generic install key is being able to keep reinstalling if things mess up.

Thank you for the replies. If knows anything else or runs across anything I'm more than willing to give it try.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:26 pm

Sometimes Windows will pop up a notification that says "hey, this hardware's not working, click here to download the right one" and it'll work.

This seems to be something for Asus's "AI Booster" program and is not strictly needed for proper function. You could probably disable it in Device Manager with no ill effects. Alternatively, the v9.x Intel chipset driver will support the 5x chipset and that might install on Win81. Trying should be harmless: if it won't work, it'll say so up front:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail ... ldID=20019
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:02 pm

Can try this:
http://www.driverscape.com/download/atk ... pi-utility

But you can disable the device. It is related to monitoring.

Edit: apparently Windows Update may find it
http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-cr ... river.html

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:21 pm

I want to thank Flying Fox, bthylafh, ludi, and divide_by_zero for the posts and suggestions. I did a another fresh install using the generic Windows 8.1 Pro key and updated. This time windows did an update and found the missing ATK0110 ACPI driver. Everything got updated even the graphics driver that I was going to update last.

This problem is now solved and I want to thank all of you for the ideas otherwise I'd still be looking for parts and drivers.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil

Return to Motherboards, Chipsets, & RAM