Anyone owned the Dell 2407fpw before?

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Postposted on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:51 am

NeRve wrote:After doing some reading I found the 2407fpw-HC REV A00 has a ton of problems (overdrive ghosting, colorshifting, etc...) I wonder if Dell has made any newer hardware revisions to correct them as they did with the non-HC models (A01, A02, A03, and A04)?


I haven't checked what rev I have. but I never had an issue with any of the above. Now while I am not a heavy gamer and don't look for the absolute best equipment for gaming. I do play UT, FarCry, Battlefield 2, at max res 4xx with high or very high detail.

I have not one complaint.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3938
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The dark side of the moon

Postposted on Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:33 am

Sargent Duck wrote: I'll take my 2407 to the grave with me....well, maybe I'd give it to my sister. I've never seen a girl get so excited about computer tech before.


Talking about your sister that way on this website is tantamount to a sales pitch! :) There's a boatload of geeks around here who might get overly excited about a girl like that!
Retired!
gerbilspy
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 5:38 pm
Location: Southern Illinois

Postposted on Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:53 am

gerbilspy wrote:
Sargent Duck wrote: I'll take my 2407 to the grave with me....well, maybe I'd give it to my sister. I've never seen a girl get so excited about computer tech before.


Talking about your sister that way on this website is tantamount to a sales pitch! :) There's a boatload of geeks around here who might get overly excited about a girl like that!


MIGHT?!?! More like they will.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3938
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The dark side of the moon

Postposted on Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:43 am

Flying Fox wrote:
blitzy wrote:I think that was a typo by FF, LCD = LED
Thanks. It was indeed a typo. :oops:

Voldenuit wrote:Is there an advantage to using LED backlights aside from ahieving a slimmer profile? Which is why they're being used in laptops.

I could imagine how they can turn off LEDs selectively to improve dynamic contrast (I remember reading about 1 HDTV that does this), but I don't think any PC monitors have implemented this.

In theory, LEDs don't have flicker, but in practice, CCFLS used in monitors refresh at 180Hz which is undetectable to the human eye.
Apart from better contrast, power consumption is another factor which is more important on laptops. Every bit helps on the desktop too I guess.


This is where LEDs sort of confuse me - the 2407fpw-HC advertise 92% NTSC gamut coloring, but it doesn't have LED-backlighting. Does that mean those with LED backlight "guaranteed" 92% or high color gamut ratings?
NeRve
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2715
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2002 3:19 pm
Location: Training Bunker to be a "Hell of an Engineer"

Postposted on Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:52 am

NeRve wrote:This is where LEDs sort of confuse me - the 2407fpw-HC advertise 92% NTSC gamut coloring, but it doesn't have LED-backlighting. Does that mean those with LED backlight "guaranteed" 92% or high color gamut ratings?
Not really. Will have to check the specs and reviews on a review by review cases.
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24287
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am

Postposted on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:49 pm

I'm guessing the Golden Grail would be LED-backlighting AND 92% NTSC gamut-coloring... :lol:
NeRve
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2715
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2002 3:19 pm
Location: Training Bunker to be a "Hell of an Engineer"

Postposted on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:52 pm

NeRve wrote:I'm guessing the Golden Grail would be LED-backlighting AND 92% NTSC gamut-coloring... :lol:
There is no Holy Grail yet. I don't see LCD ever be in parity with CRTs. We need a new tech. It's like buying laptops, there will always be a compromise.

Or, a TR Editor's choice will be good enough may be. *wink*wink*
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24287
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am

Postposted on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:04 pm

I have had about 4 2407wfps and 2 2407wfp-hcs trying to get one that doesn't have severe ghosting but eventually gave up.

There is this very weird green ghosting that you get when things are in motion, check for videos of it on YouTube.

I still have mine, but might sell it and get something else.
Core i5 2500k @ 4Ghz | MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III | 8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz | ASUS Z68 Pro | 1200W Thermaltake Toughpower | OCZ Lian Li V2010b | HP LP2475w
mjallan123
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:08 pm
Location: Scotland

Postposted on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:46 pm

mjallan123 wrote:I have had about 4 2407wfps and 2 2407wfp-hcs trying to get one that doesn't have severe ghosting but eventually gave up.

There is this very weird green ghosting that you get when things are in motion, check for videos of it on YouTube.

I still have mine, but might sell it and get something else.


I sometimes think this is a personal issue. Some peoples eyes see this and some don't.

I know at least 6 friends who are gamers and all of them have 2407. (one of the reasons I got one. I couldn't see a problem with any of them).

Plus as much as people claim CRT are superior, this may be true but LCDs are easier on my eyes. For years no matter what refresh rate I tried my CRT would strain my eyes after an extended period of time.

I can stare at a LCD for days and not have the same trouble. I think it is a case of no one tech is right for every person. Some won't like LCD, just as some of us prefer LCDs.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3938
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The dark side of the moon

Postposted on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:51 pm

z-man wrote:
mjallan123 wrote:I have had about 4 2407wfps and 2 2407wfp-hcs trying to get one that doesn't have severe ghosting but eventually gave up.

There is this very weird green ghosting that you get when things are in motion, check for videos of it on YouTube.

I still have mine, but might sell it and get something else.


I sometimes think this is a personal issue. Some peoples eyes see this and some don't.

I know at least 6 friends who are gamers and all of them have 2407. (one of the reasons I got one. I couldn't see a problem with any of them).

Plus as much as people claim CRT are superior, this may be true but LCDs are easier on my eyes. For years no matter what refresh rate I tried my CRT would strain my eyes after an extended period of time.

I can stare at a LCD for days and not have the same trouble. I think it is a case of no one tech is right for every person. Some won't like LCD, just as some of us prefer LCDs.


I definitely prefer LCDs, no question. But for some reason THIS lcd is giving me trouble. I have a 17" and 19" screen as well as a laptop and each of those never have any of the ghosting apparant with this monitor.
Core i5 2500k @ 4Ghz | MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III | 8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz | ASUS Z68 Pro | 1200W Thermaltake Toughpower | OCZ Lian Li V2010b | HP LP2475w
mjallan123
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:08 pm
Location: Scotland

Postposted on Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:17 pm

mjallan123 wrote:I have had about 4 2407wfps and 2 2407wfp-hcs trying to get one that doesn't have severe ghosting but eventually gave up.

There is this very weird green ghosting that you get when things are in motion, check for videos of it on YouTube.

I still have mine, but might sell it and get something else.


That's a lot of 24-inchers :o
NeRve
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2715
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2002 3:19 pm
Location: Training Bunker to be a "Hell of an Engineer"

Postposted on Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:12 am

Flying Fox wrote:
blitzy wrote:I think that was a typo by FF, LCD = LED
Thanks. It was indeed a typo. :oops:

Voldenuit wrote:Is there an advantage to using LED backlights aside from ahieving a slimmer profile? Which is why they're being used in laptops.

I could imagine how they can turn off LEDs selectively to improve dynamic contrast (I remember reading about 1 HDTV that does this), but I don't think any PC monitors have implemented this.

In theory, LEDs don't have flicker, but in practice, CCFLS used in monitors refresh at 180Hz which is undetectable to the human eye.
Apart from better contrast, power consumption is another factor which is more important on laptops. Every bit helps on the desktop too I guess.


Update on LED backlit monitors. Looks like they're starting to trickle in to the market, and SPCR was quick enough on the nub to review the Samsung Syncmaster 20XL LED-backlit monitor.

Unfortunately, power efficiency is not one of its strong suits, as the monitor draws about twice as much energy as comparable CCFL-backlit monitors, so much so that it necessitated a cooling fan in the casing.

According to Samsung, this is because even though white LEDs are more efficient than CCFL for luminance, they do not provide a good colour gamut. In notebook computers, this is usually not a major criterion, so white LEDs allow for slimmer, lower power models. As the 20XL is targeted at professionals, it uses a 3-LED system to generate a "white" backlight instead of using just white LEDs, hence the added power consumption.
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2453
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 pm

Postposted on Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:00 am

£1000 for a 20"?!

No thanks.
Core i5 2500k @ 4Ghz | MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III | 8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz | ASUS Z68 Pro | 1200W Thermaltake Toughpower | OCZ Lian Li V2010b | HP LP2475w
mjallan123
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:08 pm
Location: Scotland

Postposted on Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:10 pm

On a personal note, my 2407FPW-HC finally shipped after being backordered for 5 weeks. By tuesday I should be in heaven.
Image
FunkeeC
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:13 am
Location: OC, CA All Day

Previous

Return to Visual Haven

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests