Sub $100 webcam

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Sub $100 webcam

Postposted on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:01 pm

Since my family and I only see each other 1-3 times per year (barring funerals) we've been debating getting webcams and using them in conjuction with IM. I just don't know anything about the webcam market, or doing this sort of thing. So I have a few questions:
First, I assume if we want voice chat we'd have to go with some VoIP provider or get a T/S or Vent server?
Second, how technically hard is setting up a webcam? My mom's pretty good with PC's, as is my brother, but I just don't wanna throw them off the deep end. I suspect i'll install first so I can walk them through it.
Third, it is possible to use a webcam and IM together right?

Fourth, what's a decent webcam for 100 bucks or less? I don't expect 2 megapixel resolutions with optical zoom or anything.
Also, what sort of net speeds would we need to make this work? I have DSL, they have an amazing cable connection, but I may need to upgrade to faster DSL--right now I'm on the lowest package and I don't remember my upload speed but it isn't hot.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:18 pm

I use this one. I like it pretty well. The image quality is good. The base is made of flexible rubber/plastic and can be bent to sit on the desk or on top of my lcd monitor. The privacy visor is a nice feature too. Setup is a breeze. Just standard plug-n-play usb stuff.
JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:31 pm

Or you can take step up for not much more.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Re: Sub $100 webcam

Postposted on Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:03 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:First, I assume if we want voice chat we'd have to go with some VoIP provider or get a T/S or Vent server? <snip> Third, it is possible to use a webcam and IM together right?

I use MSN Messenger to talk to my mom all the time (so she can see her granddaughter). No VoIP or anything else required.

I've got a Phillips SPC 900NC. It's a bit old but it works pretty well. Amazon has it for $50. Installation was real easy, like most USB devices these days.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.
Kevin
Administrator

Postposted on Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:15 pm

Cool! thanks for the ideas. I get paid this friday and my wife starts a full time job next Tuesday (yay disposable income!) so I'll pick up one of those next week. I'll finally see my brothers fiancee'! Hell, I'll see my kid brother for the first time since Christmas '05.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Return to Visual Haven