$500 for a new monitor - thoughts?

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:20 am

As a TV set probably it is better, but I was thinking as computer monitor in which you do sit closer to it.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:33 am

Best Buy has the 24" LG on sale for $499:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 0290207389

Edit: Oops. It looks like they bumped the price back up. :evil:

I got mine for that price several months ago and it's been a great monitor for gaming, movies/TV and photo/video editing/web design. It's great for gaming as it has very low input lag. Viewing angles are excellent and backlight bleed is non-existent. There is some slight ghosting but really not that noticeable unless you look for it. Scaling for games is very good. I can drop it down to 1680x1050 and it still looks sharp. NVIDIA's aspect scaling doesn't seem to work for me, so I let the monitor scale or use 1:1 pixel mapping.

The stand is very sturdy and is of high quality. The base is heavy and not too big.

Calibration is necessary for this LCD and it really looks great afterwards. Text is good but only over the DVI-HDMI connection. One fault of this LCD lies within the color temp selections. sRGB mode is the only mode that looks correct. So, you're stuck calibrating using software or via the video card CP.

There are some people that have reported a buzzing sound with this LCD, so that might be a problem. Others have reported an issue with it not coming out of sleep mode and needing to reboot the computer. I've not encountered these issues.
NeXus 6
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:33 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824185005

DoubleSight DS-245W Black 24" 6ms - ~$400 DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor with 4-port USB Hub and Height / Pivot Adjustments 500 cd/m2 1000:1 Built in Speakers - Retail

This uses the Samsung S-PVA panel (it appears), but does not have all the fancy connections and PIP that the 2407WFP has. This may be what I'm looking for.

People were getting it for close to $380 on overstock, combined with a 10% off coupon and the $30 MIR.

Any thoughts on this? I have not found any other ~$420-$450 monitor with the S-PVA Samsung panel. They appear to start at closer to $600.

The low cost almost concerns me.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves... back to you with the weather, Bob!
computron9000
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Previous

Return to Visual Haven