Slim projection (or DLP ?) bigscreens

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Postposted on Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:41 pm

lordtottuu wrote:
Vrock wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
Vrock wrote: I demoed a top of the line 46XBR4 in my home for 30 days. I calibrated it and spent nearly 80 hours watching various types of content on it. It's the best LCD TV I've ever seen. That being said, it also had some major issues which I couldn't live with.

You are a very discerning user. That bit hasn't been said much around here.
The XBR series is supposed to be for discerning users, so the things I mentioned are worth mentioning.

I am guessing there are levels of discerning users then. I've seen the TV in question at the local store where I picked up my HDTV and I found it really, really good. Provided it wasn't in an environment controlled by me but I still found it damn good.
No offense, but what you think "good" looks like probably is very far from accurate. Most likely that TV was set in Vivid mode (as most are at the stores) and as a result was pushing an innaccurate grayscale, clipping whites, oversaturating color and probably crushing blacks too. Plus the lighting in those stores hides a multitude of sins that a darkened room will easily reveal. The bottom line is that the XBR positions itself in the videophile sector of the market with price and features and should therefore be subject to videophile scrutiny.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:24 pm

Vrock wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
Vrock wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
Vrock wrote: I demoed a top of the line 46XBR4 in my home for 30 days. I calibrated it and spent nearly 80 hours watching various types of content on it. It's the best LCD TV I've ever seen. That being said, it also had some major issues which I couldn't live with.

You are a very discerning user. That bit hasn't been said much around here.
The XBR series is supposed to be for discerning users, so the things I mentioned are worth mentioning.

I am guessing there are levels of discerning users then. I've seen the TV in question at the local store where I picked up my HDTV and I found it really, really good. Provided it wasn't in an environment controlled by me but I still found it damn good.
No offense, but what you think "good" looks like probably is very far from accurate. Most likely that TV was set in Vivid mode (as most are at the stores) and as a result was pushing an inaccurate grayscale, clipping whites, oversaturating color and probably crushing blacks too. Plus the lighting in those stores hides a multitude of sins that a darkened room will easily reveal. The bottom line is that the XBR positions itself in the videophile sector of the market with price and features and should therefore be subject to videophile scrutiny.

I understand and I accept your words.

Straying a little bit. I am going to be in a position to recommend a TV to my friends parents. They'll be looking to spend the same amount as you. I'd really like a videophile's recommendation for that.
lordT
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:58 pm

lordtottuu wrote:Straying a little bit. I am going to be in a position to recommend a TV to my friends parents. They'll be looking to spend the same amount as you. I'd really like a videophile's recommendation for that.
Well, I use my TV strictly for movies (HD and SD) so all my comments and recommendations are going to be based on how a TV performs that task. Without knowing more how they plan to use the TV I can't make a recommendation. If it's pure image quality they're after, they can't go wrong with a Pioneer Elite set, but they're very expensive, and plasma doesn't work for everyone. Here's a good place to start if you're looking for good TVs: http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-6485_7-168 ... l?tag=lnav
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:17 pm

Vrock wrote:Well, I use my TV strictly for movies (HD and SD) so all my comments and recommendations are going to be based on how a TV performs that task. Without knowing more how they plan to use the TV I can't make a recommendation. If it's pure image quality they're after, they can't go wrong with a Pioneer Elite set, but they're very expensive, and plasma doesn't work for everyone.
They are going to use it mostly for movies, predominantly SD and what I presume is a dth satellite connection. They haven't quite gotten into HD yet though they have a PS3 lying around. They aren't very discerning users but I do want them to have a capable set which can scale with their viewing needs.

The looks of a TV matter to them too. A lot.
lordT
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:59 pm

Personally, I'd never buy a TV I can't pick up and move by myself

I have no trouble moving my samsung ht-t5087s by myself, even though it seems like being a rear projection it should be unmovable by one person
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585
jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:36 pm

Hey guys, since you're on the subject...

I got an XBOX 260 for Christmas and the 14 year-old television in the back room isn't going to cut it. So the Wife and I are in the non-in-a-hurry market for a flat panel TV to use with the XBOX. We're looking at something about 37".

This will be used for the XBOX and watching DVDs during workouts. Probably in florescent lighting. I have the front projection setup for watching movies, so this is strictly a backup setup.

So i have two questions:

1) What do you recommend for occasional use in bright light on a budget? I'm really looking for "cheap and reliable", I'm not interested in perfect picture.

2) Is it better to pull the trigger during the pre-Superbowl sales, or wait until immediately afterwards and try to grab a post-Superbowl return?
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus
Darkmage
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:07 pm

I think the answer to #2 lies largely in your own personal Super Bowl interest and whether or not you want to see it in fancy-dancy hi-def
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:39 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:I think the answer to #2 lies largely in your own personal Super Bowl interest and whether or not you want to see it in fancy-dancy hi-def
I'm not going to watch it. And if I did, I have the 100" front projector to watch it on. I ask only in terms of when the best deal can be snapped up.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus
Darkmage
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:45 pm

Darkmage wrote:1) What do you recommend for occasional use in bright light on a budget? I'm really looking for "cheap and reliable", I'm not interested in perfect picture.
Vizio for super cheap, Philips for cheap. At 37" though you're probably talking 720p, which is fine at that screen size.

Darkmage wrote:2) Is it better to pull the trigger during the pre-Superbowl sales, or wait until immediately afterwards and try to grab a post-Superbowl return?
The former. Maybe I'm picky but with TVs, I avoid ones that are returned.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Previous

Return to Visual Haven