2540P

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

2540P

Postposted on Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:18 pm

So, I was doing some reading and research trying to figure out why camera manufacturers and media folks aren't producing anything digital with 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, and 1920x1080 or better and 60 frames, when I found out there is some serious hardware out there capable of some really good definition, but good lord, is it expensive, and it requires multitudes of storage.

Red One
12 megapixel
12 bit
4520x2540 active pixels
Raw uncompressed.

That would produce some awesome video with no editing degeneration.
cass
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:49 pm

That's actually ridiculously cheap, not "good lord expensive", given the capabilities. Red One certainly has the look of something with the ability to undercut the competition in a huge way and really deliver the goods at a low cost.

Realize that full-functioned still cameras of the same pixel resolution at 9 fps (no idea how the per-pixel quality and sensitivity compares) go for up to almost 1/3 the price of the Red One, which purports to offer that resolution at 60FPS.
mattsteg
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:13 pm

That's a pretty cool camera, and I like that you can get different lenses for it. I haven't done much (none really) research on video cameras, but I really don't think that I would use one as much as my still.
jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:32 pm

mattsteg wrote:That's actually ridiculously cheap, not "good lord expensive", given the capabilities. Red One certainly has the look of something with the ability to undercut the competition in a huge way and really deliver the goods at a low cost.

Realize that full-functioned still cameras of the same pixel resolution at 9 fps (no idea how the per-pixel quality and sensitivity compares) go for up to almost 1/3 the price of the Red One, which purports to offer that resolution at 60FPS.

I was more or less considering the cost of the system. I figured by the time you bought the camera, some lenses, the handles, mounts, port options, viewfinder or screen, power sources, and some usable storage, you would be in the $120,000 - $200,000 range. Crap I forgot about the $8000 editing system for a MAC only.

Your point is valid though this stuff is getting down in the range of where it can be rented and used. I am glad to see it.
cass
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:49 pm

jobodaho wrote:That's a pretty cool camera, and I like that you can get different lenses for it. I haven't done much (none really) research on video cameras, but I really don't think that I would use one as much as my still.
You could even mount your existing lens collection on it
cass wrote:I was more or less considering the cost of the system. I figured by the time you bought the camera, some lenses, the handles, mounts, port options, viewfinder or screen, power sources, and some usable storage, you would be in the $120,000 - $200,000 range. Crap I forgot about the $8000 editing system for a MAC only.

Your point is valid though this stuff is getting down in the range of where it can be rented and used. I am glad to see it.
Yeah, the real killer is the support costs. You need insane amounts of storage and a ridiculous amount of computing power. The lenses are pretty similar to those for a good still camera setup - with an adapter you can mount Nikon, Canon, etc. lenses so lens cost is to a large extent a wash although certain characteristics will be better optimized on video-camera lenses (i.e. focus shift while zooming and a stronger emphasis on smooth zooming for example) which is likely why their costs are a bit larger. The system is "expensive" but it also looks to be a pretty substantial bargain.
mattsteg
Gerbil God

Return to Visual Haven