The trend with TV displays

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

The trend with TV displays

Postposted on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:02 am

Although it seems like ages ago, CES was the opportunity for TV companies to showcase their finest products. Of course, most of these products were prototypes and won't be available for a long time. It is depressing knowing that we are going to have to wait months and months (and max out a credit card) in order to afford one.

But that isn't the point I wanted to make. I noticed that one of the major "themes" this year was to "make it thin". At this point in my life, I don't see the need why designers are focused more on size than picture quality. I assume it is what drives most consumers to buy a specific TV, so I can understand that. I would rather sacrifice size for quality, but recently a few companies have abandoned their DLP market. I was hoping to see at least a couple manufacturers to display bigger, but more top-notch quality displays.

Personally, I would rather buy a TV 2 feet thick if it gave a better picture. (Of course the size of a room is a factor, but I would find the space) Since it is bigger it could be cheaper because the need to micro-size parts is not needed.

So, what do you prefer? The worlds thinnest TV? The best picture regardless?
|Intel Q9450 @3.6 1.425v|Lapped TRUE|Gigabyte EP45-UD3P|Mushkin & Patriot 2x2gb DDR2-900|EVGA 8800 GTS 512 750/1873/1000|Antec 900|Corsair 520HX|Asus Xonar DX|
13895 3DMarks

themattman
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Re: The trend with TV displays

Postposted on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:18 am

Best picture. Granted I would rather it be with a LCD/Plasma thin display. It is obvious the TV can be made thin enough, lets improve picture and screen life.
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:26 am

When a large percentage of consumers aren't going to notice minor picture quality differences but everyone it going to see size differences, it's pretty clear what course companies are going to follow in-bulk. The bigger/cheaper argument is a bit of a non-starter as phrased here - "microsizing" parts isn't really going to yield a huge difference in cost or size - those differences come from using different processes (which may require different amounts of space).

When most people quit noticing quality differences, packaging and price become king. I'd be strongly inclined to buy a decent flat TV over a 2 foot thick one to leave sufficient room to drop a projection screen in front of it.
mattsteg
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:55 pm

Thin is sexy, and what's sexy sells. A flat panel is much likely to get WAF than even a slim RPTV, and the CEMs know it. It's a shame too because there are some fine RPTVs out there.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:37 pm

Vrock wrote:A flat panel is much likely to get WAF than even a slim RPTV, and the CEMs know it.

I have to say from personal experience this is very true. Women tend to be offput by the RPTV, to the point where some of my friends have to placate their SO because they have one(usually bought pre-relationship or pre-commitment). I'm jealous, the women are repulsed. Bizarre.
Glorious
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:45 pm

I will say I felt quite happy when my wife remarked that the colors on flat TVs at appleby's or somesuch place were crap due to poor viewing angles (compared to the one older CRT left) . Little things like that are nice to see.
mattsteg
Gerbil God

Return to Visual Haven