Blu-ray with 50" plasma 720p?

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Blu-ray with 50" plasma 720p?

Postposted on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:08 pm

I just bought a new Panasonic 50" plasma with 720p resolution (TH-50PX77U). Is it worth upgrading to Blu-ray with a 720p plasma of that size? I guess I'm asking if anyone else has a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player hooked up to a comparably-sized plasma with 720/768 resolution. If you do, have you hooked up a regular DVD player to it and compared the picture quality between the DVD player and the next-gen (current-gen?) player?

I bought the TV for gaming and movies, and don't really watch TV shows. Yeah, I know, I *should* have gone 1080p, but the price jump in plasmas is pretty prohibitive (currently around 30%-45% more). I spent several months reading reviews and comparing technologies/brands/prices. I decided I wanted plasma, and sort of came to the conclusion that--for me, at least--for that technology, 1080p was kind of a waste on anything smaller than 50", required for anything larger than 50", and that you could essentially go either way at 50". As much as I'd like to think I'm a super audio/videophile, I'm just not, and figured the extra $700 wouldn't be worth it for me. In fact, with the difference I saved by staying at 720p, I was able to buy an Onkyo receiver and a small, but decent, Infinity surrround-sound system, so I'm pretty happy with my choice.

Perhaps the larger question is, is it worth upgrading to the next-generation at all, or should I wait for the "Netflix box" to come out?
Mormakrabork
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Blu-ray with 50" plasma 720p?

Postposted on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:22 pm

Whether it is worth is is a personal question, but I'd say that yes you would notice the difference between SD and HD movies quite clearly. Since you are a gamer, why don't you look into getting a PS3 to do both gaming and Blu Ray movies? I quite love my HD movies as I own both a stand alone Blu Ray player and a 360 addon for HD DVD.
Image
FunkeeC
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:13 am
Location: OC, CA All Day

Re: Blu-ray with 50" plasma 720p?

Postposted on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:45 pm

I have watched a few Blu Rays with my ps3 on my 50" plasma and it looks great. I've also watched some on my friends 42" 1080p plasma and there isn't too much difference if you sit back far enough.

Looks A LOT better than SD so definately worth going for
Q6600|Asus P5b Deluxe|Corsair VX550|4gb Cell Shock 6400|4890|320gb Seagate|Zalman 9700|2407WFP
Sikthskies
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 am
Location: England

Re: Blu-ray with 50" plasma 720p?

Postposted on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:52 pm

Mormakrabork wrote:I just bought a new Panasonic 50" plasma with 720p resolution (TH-50PX77U). Is it worth upgrading to Blu-ray with a 720p plasma of that size?
Yes, absolutely. Feed that set 1080i from the Blu-ray player (or 1080p if it will take it) and you'll be in heaven.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 20564
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Re: Blu-ray with 50" plasma 720p?

Postposted on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Sikthskies wrote:I have watched a few Blu Rays with my ps3 on my 50" plasma and it looks great.



Thanks for the info. What's the resolution of your 50" plasma?
Mormakrabork
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Blu-ray with 50" plasma 720p?

Postposted on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Mormakrabork wrote:
Sikthskies wrote:I have watched a few Blu Rays with my ps3 on my 50" plasma and it looks great.



Thanks for the info. What's the resolution of your 50" plasma?
FWIW, I owned a 50" 768p plasma for a while and it looked great with HD. Cnet has stated multiple times that they can't really tell a difference between 1080p displayed at 768p on a plasma and 1080p displayed at 1080p on another TV.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 20564
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Re: Blu-ray with 50" plasma 720p?

Postposted on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:25 pm

Vrock wrote:
Mormakrabork wrote:
Sikthskies wrote:I have watched a few Blu Rays with my ps3 on my 50" plasma and it looks great.



Thanks for the info. What's the resolution of your 50" plasma?
FWIW, I owned a 50" 768p plasma for a while and it looked great with HD. Cnet has stated multiple times that they can't really tell a difference between 1080p displayed at 768p on a plasma and 1080p displayed at 1080p on another TV.


This is what I've heard as well. I am considering getting like a 42 inch plasma for my upstairs office for watching while I'm on the pc. From what I've read a good quality plasma has things going for it that outweigh benefits of JUST getting the additional res of a 1080 tv
Image
FunkeeC
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:13 am
Location: OC, CA All Day


Return to Visual Haven

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests