Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

USB ports on a monitor....??!

Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:08 pm

I just got a LG Flatron 995FT Plus secondhand for 5CAD. And I found five USB ports in the back. What are these for? This monitor only does VGA, so I can't imagine that it would be like some USB hub that connects to the computer over DVI.
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: USB ports on a monitor....??!

Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:19 pm

it's probably a USB hub. Connect the "outcast" USB port to your computer, and then you can plug peripherals into your monitor. Some people find it convenient, I rarely used it.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:20 pm

There's probably a D-shaped USB port on it somewhere--like the kind used on printers. You hook it up to a USB port on your computer & it acts as a USB hub. Dell's Ultrasharp monitors are that way. Kind of nice if you want to plug in a USB stick & not bend over.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Oh yes, there's a different one... I don't get the point though as I have to bend around the monitor to get to the ports. Oh well, doesn't hurt to have more USB ports. 4 on 4 Guilty Gear/Melty Blood action is now a possibility I suppose.
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:51 pm

Crayon Shin Chan wrote:
Oh yes, there's a different one... I don't get the point though as I have to bend around the monitor to get to the ports. Oh well, doesn't hurt to have more USB ports. 4 on 4 Guilty Gear/Melty Blood action is now a possibility I suppose.
I've seen people use them for the mouse or an iPod. The one on my mother's PC is convenient for my thumb drive, since her tower is buried under a desk and doesn't have any available ports on the front anyway. Just remember it is a hub (shared bandwidth) and may not support full powered devices either.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:27 am

Yeah, some monitors have a USB hub built in. I use the one on my monitor at work for my mouse.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:31 am

On a CRT it's quite weird as you said. On a LCD monitor though, it's very convenient. I don't have to bend down and go under the desk to get to my USB ports on the chassis. While you can tell how bad it is to reach down and then having to reach back of the case. Front USB addresses that issue but not all cases have the front USB ports near the top, so for cases lying on the floor under the desk, you have to almost reach the floor to plug your thumb drive in. On the monitor though it is much more convenient.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:40 am

UberGerbil wrote:
Crayon Shin Chan wrote:
I've seen people use them for the mouse or an iPod. The one on my mother's PC is convenient for my thumb drive, since her tower is buried under a desk and doesn't have any available ports on the front anyway. Just remember it is a hub (shared bandwidth) and may not support full powered devices either.

On my Dell 2407 it has 4 USB ports. I have it hooked up to the xbox, and then have the Zune dock, and the HD-DVD drive, and the xbox controller charger plugged into that. It certainly is useful for that. Oh, and the built-in card reader on the monitor is supported by the xbox, so I can take the memory card out of my camera, plug it into the monitor, and view the pictures through the xbox. That's a neat trick.