Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

scanning old slides

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:23 pm

So I have quite a few boxes of old slides of my grandparents that I told them I'd scan for them. They have an HP scanner that has a nifty holder for the slides and a light on the cover so you can scan them. However, the software is bloated and doesn't do batch scanning so it takes me around 90 seconds for each of 3 slides. It also crashes every few rounds, and yeah.

So I'm debating just paying $100 for one of those dedicated slide/film scanners. My parents also have a few boxes of slides as do my in-laws, I believe, so I'd definitely get some use out of it.

I'm just curious if anyone has done this (like JBI's record ripping process) and could provide some insight/ideas.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Re: scanning old slides

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:28 pm

I wouldn't expect much out of a $100 slide scanner.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:34 pm

mattsteg wrote:

Well the slides are decades old and don't have great image fidelity. I was only going to scan them at around 1600x1200 size files also, so higher megapixel doesn't do much for me.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/35mm-Slide-Negati ... 280&sr=8-5

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:36 pm

This may be a dumb idea, but....

Couldn't you just use the slide projector and your digital camera to do the conversion? Project the slide on a screen (or wall) and snap a pic of it?

Seems like this would be much faster than scanning.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:44 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
mattsteg wrote:

Well the slides are decades old and don't have great image fidelity. I was only going to scan them at around 1600x1200 size files also, so higher megapixel doesn't do much for me.

I'm not sure how much I'd trust something like that to deliver satisfactory results or a hassle-free experience. I wouldn't get photo equipment that's primarily available at some place called "cyberguys!". I'd spend more and get a product with a decent reputation from a company that I'd actually heard of.
Last edited by mattsteg on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:46 pm

You have a DSLR camera don't you?

What about this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... cator.html

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:24 pm

I own a dedicated slide scanner (it's an old Minolta -- uses SCSI) but when I had a huge batch of slides to scan I went to my local pro photo place and rented a Nikon slide scanner with an auto feeder. They're expensive to rent by the day (though much cheaper than buying) but the shop I use has special rental deals for over the weekend, because most of their business is pro customers during the week. So I just kept the feeder loaded and ran the scanner all day Saturday and Sunday. I forget what kind of throughput I was getting, but I did a couple of hundred slides. (It did jam a couple of times -- the feeder is a little clunky, and warped slides are not a recipe for success). The Nikon software has some nice tools for removing scratches and other problems during the scan, though it slows the scans a bit. Of course you can do that in Photoshop too, particularly if you have the right plug-ins.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:13 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
mattsteg wrote:

I didnt even have to go to the link to know the scanner was JUNK. I did go to the link to prove it though. You get what you pay for and your not going to get a good slide scanner for 100 bucks.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:54 pm

JJCDAD wrote:
You have a DSLR camera don't you?

What about this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... cator.html
It's an idea. I saw those but was kinda hesitant. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.
JJCDAD wrote:
This may be a dumb idea, but....

Couldn't you just use the slide projector and your digital camera to do the conversion? Project the slide on a screen (or wall) and snap a pic of it?

Seems like this would be much faster than scanning.
That's the best idea so far. Once I get my tripod out, we'll have lots of white walls in the new apartment too.
mattsteg wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
mattsteg wrote:

I'm not sure how much I'd trust something like that to deliver satisfactory results or a hassle-free experience. I wouldn't get photo equipment that's primarily available at some place called "cyberguys!". I'd spend more and get a product with a decent reputation from a company that I'd actually heard of.

Such as....?
Hance wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
mattsteg wrote:

I didnt even have to go to the link to know the scanner was JUNK. I did go to the link to prove it though. You get what you pay for and your not going to get a good slide scanner for 100 bucks.

Mind if I ask what it was that turned your mind negatively?

Do you have any better suggestions?

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:13 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Mind if I ask what it was that turned your mind negatively?

Do you have any better suggestions?

Quality slide scanners cost more than a hundred bucks. Quality photography equipment doesnt come cheap no matter what you are looking for.

I have used one of the Primefilm 3600U slide scanners and it works pretty well. It has decent quality but your still manually loading the slides one at a time. If you want to really scan the slides and have them be good quality your going to be out 300+ dollars for even a cheap scanner.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:34 pm

Hance wrote:
If you want to really scan the slides and have them be good quality your going to be out 300+ dollars for even a cheap scanner.

"good" quality is overkill. I'm fine with 'ok' quality. It's not like the slides are getting look at as they are. Anything is better than nothing.