Need help picking a DLP TV

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Need help picking a DLP TV

Postposted on Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:24 pm

Hey guys, my father has decided to get a DLP TV but he is unsure on which one to go with and he asked me for help, but I don't know much about DLP TVs. I found this TV on Newegg and it seems to be a good deal but I have no idea if it is or not.

He wants a TV around 57 inches, that does 120Hz, and has a 6 color bulb. Like I said before, I'm not too educated on DLP technology so please enlighten me.

Thanks!
I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing and it was everything that I thought it could be. -Office Space
zbtbabyfactory
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:16 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Need help picking a DLP TV

Postposted on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:02 pm

zbtbabyfactory wrote:Hey guys, my father has decided to get a DLP TV but he is unsure on which one to go with and he asked me for help, but I don't know much about DLP TVs. I found this TV on Newegg and it seems to be a good deal but I have no idea if it is or not.

He wants a TV around 57 inches, that does 120Hz, and has a 6 color bulb. Like I said before, I'm not too educated on DLP technology so please enlighten me.

Thanks!


First thing i would do is poke around cnet and avs forums for reviews/opinions on some of your options and determine which of these are available to you in your area or online if you are going to purchase that way.
Image
FunkeeC
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:13 am
Location: OC, CA All Day

Re: Need help picking a DLP TV

Postposted on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:04 pm

Probably end up buying something online. I check out cnet. Anyone have a DLP TV that they love?
I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing and it was everything that I thought it could be. -Office Space
zbtbabyfactory
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:16 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Need help picking a DLP TV

Postposted on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:06 pm

I bought that exact model a few months ago from Best Buy for about 1500. It is a beautiful televsion. This was my first DLP HDTV as well as a television this large and I like it a lot. It has a nice bright / clear picture. It has a usb port on the side that will allow you to start a slideshow of images from a usb drive or camera. There are a lot of other features as well. The ports are easy to access.
| May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house |
dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2605
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Need help picking a DLP TV

Postposted on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:21 pm

Cool. I have looked around and it seems that the Samsung is a pretty good TV. My father came across this Mitsubishi Diamond TV. It was rated 7 or 8 on Cnet. Anyone have experience with this one?
I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing and it was everything that I thought it could be. -Office Space
zbtbabyfactory
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:16 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Need help picking a DLP TV

Postposted on Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:41 pm

zbtbabyfactory wrote:Cool. I have looked around and it seems that the Samsung is a pretty good TV. My father came across this Mitsubishi Diamond TV. It was rated 7 or 8 on Cnet. Anyone have experience with this one?

A few months ago I was wandering around a Circuit City and saw one of the TVs playing Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. It had the best picture quality of all the other TVs I had seen and I didn't notice any artifacts. The TV was a Mitsubishi.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.
titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3276
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Great Smoky Mountains

Re: Need help picking a DLP TV

Postposted on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:12 am

If you can still find one, the best rear projection TV on the market is the Sony A3000 (google Cnet's review). There's a 50, 55, and 60 inch model. I own the 50, and aside from some SSE in brighter scenes, it's an excellent TV. They're not DLP, they're LCOS. Sony just stopped making them this year.

If you want DLP, Samsung and Mitsubishi are pretty much your only choices, as rear projection TVs as a whole are a dying breed. I haven't kept up much on the newer models, but I know Samsung has had some significant geometry problems and hotspotting with their slim DLP sets. Sensitivity to silk screen effect and the viewing angles of the TV are also major concerns when dealing with RPTVs, and if you're looking at traditional DLPs with a rotating color wheel (vs LED lights producing the color as Samsung has in some sets) you should ensure you aren't sensitive to the rainbow effect.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 20584
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Re: Need help picking a DLP TV

Postposted on Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:48 am

Thanks for the pointers. I'll check out the Sony. Thanks!
I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing and it was everything that I thought it could be. -Office Space
zbtbabyfactory
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:16 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Need help picking a DLP TV

Postposted on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:21 pm

titan wrote:
zbtbabyfactory wrote:Cool. I have looked around and it seems that the Samsung is a pretty good TV. My father came across this Mitsubishi Diamond TV. It was rated 7 or 8 on Cnet. Anyone have experience with this one?

A few months ago I was wandering around a Circuit City and saw one of the TVs playing Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. It had the best picture quality of all the other TVs I had seen and I didn't notice any artifacts. The TV was a Mitsubishi.
To be fair, you really can't get any meaningful idea of a set's picture quality from viewing a floor model at a big box electronics store. There's simply too many variables that affect what you see.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 20584
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats


Return to Visual Haven

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSN NewsBlogs, Savyg and 6 guests