Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

sliknik
Gerbil
Topic Author

Egg on my face :)

Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:13 am

I haven't posted in a while, so just to be neighbourly I thought I'd recount my most recent head slap moment. I have a projector attached to my home PC along with my main monitor (formerly a 22" AOC). I got a new Dell 2408 and just couldn't wait to shutdown and plug it in (bet you can see where this is going). I was completely baffled when the Dell kept telling me it was going into power saving mode without ever displaying a picture.

I rebooted several times, booted into safe mode and uninstalled virtually everything that would allow me in safe mode and was just about to go hunting my XP disc to do a repair installation when it occurred to me to switch on the projector. Sure enough the nvidia driver switched the primary monitor to the projector. This is why I never proclaim to any tech support that "I've been in computers since <insert number of decades here>" no matter how tempted I am. :)

As an aside, I got the 2408 because the amount of work I put into my photography has increased significantly over the past 2 years and I wanted something that would allow me some headroom. The 2408 is great (once it is calibrated) with colour aware apps like photoshop, etc. But that wider colour gamut causes every none colour aware app to become so oversaturated, it is disturbing. I am slowly getting used to it, but unless you look at a lot of movies or work mostly in colour aware apps, I'd suggest you look elsewhere.

In case anyone is interested in seeing some my pictures taken in Guyana (which I presume is fairly exotic to most other members), have a look here:
http://community.webshots.com/user/nramkarran

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Re: Egg on my face :)

Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:23 am

It seems odd that a wide gamut display would make non-colormanaged apps display stuff with too much saturation.

Looks like you've had chances to photograph a lot of different places. Nice travel shots. I really need to up my game in that regard, particularly the "people" part.

mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:28 pm

What revision is your 2408WFP? I was considering this panel, but I've heard enough about Rev A00 to hold off on it. A01 is apparently in existence but the shipments are still supposedly rather mixed.
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m

sliknik
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:50 pm

mortifiedPenguin wrote:
What revision is your 2408WFP? I was considering this panel, but I've heard enough about Rev A00 to hold off on it. A01 is apparently in existence but the shipments are still supposedly rather mixed.

I will check this evening and let you know.

mattsteg wrote:
It seems odd that a wide gamut display would make non-colormanaged apps display stuff with too much saturation.

I have observed that it is oversaturated except with colour managed apps, but my assertion that it is because they are non-colour managed was adopted from other discussions on the net. There may be some other reason.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:08 pm

sliknik wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
I have observed that it is oversaturated except with colour managed apps, but my assertion that it is because they are non-colour managed was adopted from other discussions on the net. There may be some other reason.
LCDs always look over-saturated to me, especially the glossy-screen ones. Some of that is the insane brightness they're often set at (and it's sometimes hard to get the brightness down to acceptable levels without losing contrast, especially on the cheaper screens). But if you've calibrated the monitor, don't you have an .ICM profile you can use for the monitor to give you system-wide color management?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:11 pm

sliknik wrote:
mortifiedPenguin wrote:

mattsteg wrote:

I guess it makes sense, on second thought. For some reason I had my thinking backwards for a moment.

In case you're interested, Firefox 3 can optionally do color management. If you're using a different browser that doesn't or haven't enabled it in firefox, maybe doing so would be a good idea.

if you enter about:config in the address bar and set gfx.color_management.enabled to true, firefox will do color management. That might be quite useful in your situation.

sliknik
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thanks.

Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:25 pm

I didn't know that firefox permitted colour management. Thanks for that, it was a little painful having my eyeballs seared by the reds of some websites (even after profiling with a Huey Pro I still turned down the reds about 10%). The monitor isn't glossy, by the way.

I did both a manual calibration and profiling with the Huey Pro and neither was satisfactory, I will solve it with a little work I have no doubt but I am not particularly motivated. I don't use the PC for much other than editing photos and for that purpose it is fine.

UberGerbil is right though, imagine my surprise when I finally got the monitor working only to have my eyeballs go on strike thanks to the brightness. Before I did anything else I had to turn the brightness down to minimum.

P.S. I've only limited use to date of the Huey, but I was allowing it to regulate the colours, I didn't hunt out the actual profile and enable it in XP (I don't even know if that is necessary/possible) but I will be doing that later. I know it produced a profile file for my mac mini (first and last experiment with Apple) but upon a cursory glance I didn't see it in the list of profiles available. Like I said I probably have to hunt out the file and add it to the available profiles.

mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:37 pm

sliknik wrote:
Eh... I guess it's not too important now. I just placed an order for one since I found a 25% off coupon for it. I guess I'll find out for myself.
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:04 pm

Moved to Visual Haven.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.