Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

G200
Gerbil
Topic Author

Video Capture Device Recommendations

Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:19 pm

All,

I'm looking for some recommendations on hardware for capturing video. I seem to have lost my drivers for my Pinnacle firewire av/dv moviebox (drivers anyone?) and it is probably time to for an updated solution anyway.

Most often, I'm capturing from svideo or composite with audio. I would like to retain the ability to capture digitally, mostly for a prospective HD Video camera...

I already have Studio Ultimate 11 so I'm not in need of software but wouldn't be opposed to looking at hardware/software combos if that is what is recommended.

Thoughts?

N

cass
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Video Capture Device Recommendations

Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:45 pm

What are you hoping to gain with the new box?

it is very likely that any hd camera will connect straight to your existing firewire/usb without even needing a capture box.

My particular pinnacle box is a 700-USB it has the nice feature of converting a firewire dv camera port over to usb for use on computers without a firewire port. It has worked well so far when capturing from composite/svideo/DV/HDV.

If you need the drivers for your box Pinnacle probably will email them to you, or you could try live chat.

G200
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:54 am

cass wrote:
What are you hoping to gain with the new box?

Right now, functionality. I can't import at all right at the moment due to the box I have not being installed or having the correct drivers.

cass wrote:
it is very likely that any hd camera will connect straight to your existing firewire/usb without even needing a capture box.

Right now I don't have a HD camera, so I need the composite and svideo inputs.

cass wrote:
My particular pinnacle box is a 700-USB it has the nice feature of converting a firewire dv camera port over to usb for use on computers without a firewire port. It has worked well so far when capturing from composite/svideo/DV/HDV.

I'll look at that box. Do you know if you can purchase it without software? I already have several video editing programs.

cass wrote:
If you need the drivers for your box Pinnacle probably will email them to you, or you could try live chat.

Pinnacle is saying that the box is beyond end of life so they won't support it. They did say that they would send me another email within 24 hours if they could obtain the drivers for me. (More than 72 hours ago, and obtain them? Don't they already have them? :o )

Thanks,

N

ironnick
Gerbil In Training

Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:50 am

I don't know if this helps, but here:

HD capturing. I assume that's what you need?
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

G200
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm

Well I finally decided on a canopus advc 110 box. I had it narrowed down to the ADC Pyro AV Link or the Canopus. I chose the Canopus due to the ability to lock the audio as I have had sync problems in the past.

So far the 110 has performed as advertised and I haven't had any capture or sync problems. No software needed, just plug and capture which is convienent if you need to move it between machines or be portable.

N