Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

REEPERxx
Gerbil In Training

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:42 pm

OK GUYS....
I have the same clicking (no power up) coming from my samsung 46" LCD thats only 17 months old. I've read about the bad capacitors.... so I opted to replace the PS board (the larger brown board with all the capacitors in the top right corner). got the new board...which was the correct board.... swapped them out....SAME PROBLEM.
Ive checked all the other boards as well as the small board behind the actual power on button on the bottom of the set. everything looks fine....
What else can cause this besides the capacitors. I have my 120 at the fuses on the PS board... i can hear the relay clicking... but nothing happens other then a red flashing.
break down:
clicking and no power up
Ive replaced the entire PS board
all caps on the set are good
What else can cause this problem??????

nguyenmman
Gerbil In Training

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNT4661F powers on then cuts off

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:56 am

Even though my TV was off when there was a big thunderstorm going thru.
The TV would chime and turn on, but it would chime and turn off in a few seconds; there was picture though.

I went ahead to order a cap kit and replaced most of them since I had the TV disassembled (with higher V rating caps). I got this link from searching the net.
It costs me $19.90 (including s/h) for about ~20 caps including 2200mf caps that my TV ps doesn't need + solder, swap and solder cleaning braid.

https://www.hobbymods.com/store/index.p ... parts.html

It still does the same thing (that is what I am afraid to get because all the caps are not blown. I test with my cap meter.. come out fine). So I search again and end up here.
I follow the instruction from some of the members here to access the service screen then select RESET(last item on screen, not physically jump the EEPROM). :D MY Samsung LNT4661F (~$1800 from Amazon in 2007) is back in business.

THANKS to those who have posted the info (remote key sequences) on accessing the service screen. I see my TV has been uses more than 5000 hrs.

sonyab523
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:35 pm

Here's my issue:

My LNS4051 turns on but there is no picture, yet there is sound, this is random but happens pretty frequently. I replaced one bad capacitor as the rest were fine and I just knew it would fix it. But I still have the same problem :( , I had it professionally soldered so I know that's not the problem. How do I know what to replace without going to the shop?

As I've read through this forum it's either:

1. ASSY PCB MAIN BN94-00864A
2. POWER SUPPLY BN44-00134A
3. MAIN BOARD BN97-00828A
4. Replace ALL the capacitors even though they looks fine

Anyone else have the same symptoms, if so what was your fix? Thanks in advance!

Sonya

King Savage
Gerbil In Training

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:09 pm

professor wrote:
Many thanks to everyone for the contributions to this very informative thread. I performed a successful repair of my own Samsung 52" LCD by replacing the bad 6.3V rated caps and I compiled a video HOWTO for individuals that might be a bit hesitant to try this (relatively easy) repair themselves. This video will show some of the steps required to remove the back panel and the power supply board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm51C_RDIZE

Thanks again, especially to those individuals who posted the great photos! Hopefully someone from Samsung takes notice of our tinkering to correct this design flaw for future customers.

Hello! I found this forum trying to figure out why my Samsung LNT5265F/XAA tv was starting to click a few times before turning on. Long story short is I found everything I needed and decided to replace the (5) 1000uF 10v capacitors on the board shown in pics here.

The post by "professor" above described perfectly how to gain access to the board and, even though it's old, thanks man....awesome vid.

After taking the tv apart and gaining access to the board, I immediately saw two of the capacitors bulging at the top:

I had ordered a few new capacitors before taking anything apart and they were Panasonic 1000uF 25V low-ESR 105°C, PN# EEU-FC1E102L.
I removed the old capacitors and replaced them with the new ones (with the obligatory beer close at hand ;) ):

Don't forget to take a pic if you are unsure of the connectors you will be disconnecting to remove and gain access to the board:

Turned it on and Voila! This issue fixed.

Rousden
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:12 am

Greetings,

Another success story from Ottawa, Ontario. I've had a Samsung 40'' LCD television (Model LN40A550P3F) for the last 2.5 years. Recently it started showing the symptoms described in this forum. The light kept blinking and it would turn on after between 5 to 10 attempts. After a few days the situation got worse and finally it would just keep on blinking without powering on. I Googled my television model and the symptom and found this fantastic forum. My board held 4 capacitors: two of them, 1000 uf, 10 volts had bulged at the top, no leaking though. The two others were 1000 uf, 25 volts were still flat. Called a local electronics parts in Ottawa and confirmed that they had in stock the 1000 uf, 25 volts capacitors. Since I don't know anything about soldering I asked if they could suggest a technician to replace the parts. They did. I removed the back of the TV, unscrewed the board (6 small screws). At the electronics shop, I bought the 4 capacitors for $14.00. The salesman called a technician and asked if he had time to do the soldering job. He did. Drove a few blocks, handed the board and the new capacitors to the technician. It took him less than 15 minutes to remove the old capacitors and install the new ones. Cost $16.00.

Came back home, screwed back the board and the back of the TV. Plugged back the whole thing and YEAH :D my television is working again. The whole operation took less than 3 hours and the total cost $30.00.

Thanks to everyone for providing advice on this forum. Did I save a bundle? No doubt! I wanted to share my story and experience with people experiencing the same problem and tell them... IT REALLY WORKS!!!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:44 pm

So this is the famous samsung capicitor replacement fix thread!

I just wanted to say this also works on the Samsung BW226 LCD monitors that go bad as well (flashing screens), I found this video on youtube that pretty much explains the process and the fix was very easy to do (and i purchased the cap's from mouser electronics):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjjpmCcs8ho

Samsung_LCD
Gerbil In Training

Samsung LCD 40" No Picture Only Sound Working

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi,

My Samsung LCD 40" TV has stopped working, Im not sure what is wrong with it I was hoping someone could lead me in the right directions here.
Well Ive owned my Samsung TV for 3 Years Now, It has never had problems until Now.

The problem is that when I switch on my LCD TV there is no Picture however I still hear the Sound, When I look at the TV i can see a Light Black Screen but not image, It isnt full dark Black like it dead but its light black.

So far Ive checked all the Cables to see anything might be loose and it isnt, Ive also changed the T-CON board but still no luck. Now Im thinking of considering calling in a expect which will charge me £25 to look at it and £££ to fix it.

Could anyone please tell me what the Problem might be ?

Samsung 40" LCD Spec Below:

Model: LE40A557P2F
MODEL CODE: LE40A557P2FXXU
TYPE NO: LE40A557
AC220-240V - 50HZ 200W

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Samsung_LCD
Gerbil In Training

Re: Samsung LCD 40" No Picture Only Sound Working

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:11 pm

CAPS Meaning ?

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:45 pm

CAPS as in REPLACE your capacitors!

There's already a world-famous existing thread that deals with this scenario precisely:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62360

Samsung_LCD
Gerbil In Training

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:01 pm

It isnt the CAPS ive checked them and I cant seen any which are Damaged or Burnt, Or look weird in anyway.

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:49 pm

Could the backlight have blown?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:20 am

Merged into main Samsung thread.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:23 am

Man, I thought the whole bad capacitor problem from the late 90s-early 2000s was over.

I guess wrong. :o

I'm surprise that hasn't been a class action case on this.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

rjmur156
Gerbil In Training

Samsung 26" lcd no power after house power outage

Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:13 pm

Two year old Samsung 26" lcd tv model # LN26A330J1D wouldn't power up after electrical storm. Taken to tv repair shop and diagnosed as bad power supply board (no obvious issues with capacitors,etc); est cost of repair $200. Obtained new board from electronics supply house for $50 and replaced board myself but tv will still not turn on. Any thought out there as to what may be the problem?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Samsung 26" lcd no power after house power outage

Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:16 pm

Moved to main Samsung thread.

jsmanson
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:00 pm

OK, my model LN-S4051D had 2 or 3 bad caps, replaced all 6 1000uf caps with 25 Volt ones, with correct polarity. All other caps and components look fine on the Power Supply Board. I am still gettting the 3 red light cycling problem (i.e. no screen or sound power-up). I have a question: Does anyne know if it is OK to fire up the set with the power out plug from the power supply board (with all of the various voltage supply lines) disconnected, so I can check if all of the voltages are correct? Will anything downstream (the inverter board?) fry if it is powered up without the power suppy ribbon cable connected? I am thinking my next step is to shell out $150 for a replacement power supply board, but I thought I would at least check voltages first before doing that. Thanks

John Manson

jsmanson
Gerbil In Training

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:59 am

OK - I have fixed the TV.
As noted in the previous post, I replaced all of the capacitors, but the TV still cycled on/off.

I found a post back in April 2010 by "turboroe" that mentions a bad eeprom, which prevents the TV from cycling on properly - the eeprom may have been corrupted from the capacitor shorting out earlier.
I followed his instructions on how to reset the eeprom, and low and behold I now have a functioning TV.

So, for the benefit of those that haven't had success with the capacitor replacement, and only for those that are comfortable soldering very very tiny IC leads, you might want to try the procedure below...

Note, on my model LN S4051D, the atmel chip was on the adjacent main board, behind the metal cage, and facing towards the back of the TV, so you don't necessarily need to remove the board to solder on the two leads, although I did as I wanted to use a magnifying lamp to do the soldering. I don't think you could do this job without some kind of magnification, as the leads from the atmel chip are very small and close together. Don't forget to figure out which lead is #1, on my chip it is a very very small dot in one corner, not a notch on the case as the larger IC's have. Short out pins 5 and 6 together for no more than 2 seconds as he says - and I found that as soon as I plug the TV in, it starts it's cycling, so be ready to remove the wire short 2 seconds after you apply power to the TV. Also, I didn't seem to find any bad data while wandering around in the service menu, but the checksum came up- [0000], but then it seemed to change to a hex number of some kind, perhaps that reset the eeprom. I did a few cycles with the 'watchdog' circuit turned off, than I turned it back on, the the TV is still turning on just fine so I'm going to leave the watchdog curcuit on from now on. I suspect that curcuit is what is allowing us to fix these TV's as otherwise with a bunch of bad caps, one would expect more component problems....

here is his original April 2010 post:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Main Problem: Popped low quality power board capacitors

Solder in new capacitors (the medium 1000uF next to the power board<->main board connectors. preferably 35V).
I strongly recommend swapping ALL the 1000uF ones for new - better quality - ones.

If TV still doesn´t turn on: EEPROM memory values are bugged.
Q. Why does this happen?
A. When Tv is plugged in it attempts to read EEPROM and reads some bad data, then resets (probably due to the Watchdog).
Note: Data gets corrupted because of the power board capacitors problem.

Solution brief:
- disable EEPROM chip to prevent TV from resetting (following steps 1, 2 and 3)
- manually set correct values to the EEPROM (following steps 4 to 10)

The EEPROM chip:
type: ATMEL 24C256 - small 8 pin IC surface mount (must be 5mm x 3mm)

search google for: atmel 24c256 datasheet
download the datasheet and check the pin numbers

1. Short out the eeprom pins 5 & 6 ( the two pins that connect to resistors ).
The easiest way is to carefully solder a thin wire (about 6" length) to each of the 2
little round pre-soldered pads that lie in front of pins 5 and 6 and use the wires
as a contact breaker to easily shorten the pins.
2. Turn on the power - Instead of the usual noticeable relay click, you get a faint click,
the backlight stays off, nothing else happens.
3. Wait around 1-2 secs ( anything longer than this NEVER seemed to work ).
4. Remove the short.
Note: by now the TV is already in normal standby operation, but EEPROM values are still bugged.
5. Press the service mode key combination on the remote control.
Note: check service manual for the correct combination or try the following:
* info, menu, mute, power on) - In that order individually, one at a time.
* mute, 1, 8, 2, power on) - In that order individually, one at a time.
6. TV should come on with noise picture and then the service menu (press Source if it is difficult to read)
7. Immediately go to option Adjust and turn OFF the watchdogs
(especially in case your TV keeps turning off by itself at this point)
8. Now, for EVERY OPTION in ALL THE SUBMENUS, change EVERY VALUE and then change it back (toggle right-left)
to assure the EEPROM data is re-written correctly.
Note: To enter some submenus you have to press the right arrow instead of OK button.
To return, press exit.

Some values will still be currupt, though, and you will have to guess the right
one or consult the service manual for factory defaults, such as Panel vendor,
Memory vendor, panel type, etc.
But the TV will still work anyway, maybe not with the best image.

9. Go back to Adjust and turn back on the watchdogs.
10. Finally, Set TUNER to AUTO and then go back to root menu, goto RESET and select it
by pressing the right arrow.

Note: I recommend keeping the wires soldered to the EEPROM chip. You may need them in the future.
Just remember to tape the ends to prevent a short-circuit with the chassis.

Other thoughts: If your TV is clicking but still turns on after a while, I STRONGLY suggest you immediately stop using it and swap the power board capacitors at once before your EEPROM data gets bugged.

JoeG
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:18 pm

1.I’m new to this board so right off the bat if I make any etiquette mistakes please forgive my ignorance. Bought a Samsung LN40A650A1F, 6/2008. Started experiencing problems June 2011. Would lose picture replaced by solid multicolored vertical bars. Bought a BN44-00198A mother board ($70) and replaced old board. TV worked for a day or so then same problem came back. When I unplug TV and let it sit for a day Pic comes back and I get maybe 5hrs viewing b4 bars show up again. Unplug 4 a day and same thing happens. Been doing this the past week. Anything you would suggest I do next.

elscorcho
Gerbil In Training

Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi all

I have a samsung 46" 750. Literally 4 days after the warranty ran out I started having the same problem most of you have, when powering up it would chime and then turn off and repeat, never turning on. At first it happened a little at a time it would take 2 or 3 tries and then it would finally come on, but slowly it became longer and longer until it would come on at all. Samsung service told me in so many words that I was beat because my warranty ran out, I asked if they could at least service it. I was told there was no facility in my area to help me, I live in New Jersey literally 10 minutes from downtown Manhattan but there was no one who could help me.?!?

I ended up calling sears and having a tech come out and replace the power board for $450. He told me he gets more calls for this particular repair than any other in his 20+ years in the business and that I should send the bill to Samsung. Which I did, I got a letter apologizing but with no admission of guilt or that this was an ongoing issue. They did however send me a coupon for 5% of my next Samsung purchase. REALLY?

That was in December, today I turned the TV to catch the news before I left for work and low and behold the TV no longer turns on. Needless to say customer service was zero help so I found this forum. On the first page fifth post by billne were instructions for replacing the capacitors. I went to my local radio shack spent less than $10 and took 15 minutes and replaced them good as new. If you're even remotely handy follow the instruction and save yourself hundreds of dollars and the aggravation.

Screw Samsung and their poor customer service and shoddy products

benj666
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:30 am

Hi Guys,

I have read this post with interest and was ready to get a soldering iron and capacitors to fix my le40f86bdx as it had the blinking red light problem.

I called Samsung cust service first (UK) on 01932 454358 and provided my model and serial numbers. They checked and advised a Samsung tech would visit us to repair the tv free of charge. He is coming on Sat so I will let you know how it goes.

We purchased the tv about 4 years ago so it it way out if warrantee but Samsung recognised the issue. Just thought this is worth a mention for anyone one thinking of doing the DIY repair.

Seems like a more sensible option if it is available to you.

Ben.

Samsung_LCD
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:02 pm

Samsung_LCD wrote:
Hi,

My Samsung LCD 40" TV has stopped working, Im not sure what is wrong with it I was hoping someone could lead me in the right directions here.
Well Ive owned my Samsung TV for 3 Years Now, It has never had problems until Now.

The problem is that when I switch on my LCD TV there is no Picture however I still hear the Sound, When I look at the TV i can see a Light Black Screen but not image, It isnt full dark Black like it dead but its light black.

So far Ive checked all the Cables to see anything might be loose and it isnt, Ive also changed the T-CON board but still no luck. Now Im thinking of considering calling in a expect which will charge me £25 to look at it and £££ to fix it.

Could anyone please tell me what the Problem might be ?

Samsung 40" LCD Spec Below:

Model: LE40A557P2F
MODEL CODE: LE40A557P2FXXU
TYPE NO: LE40A557
AC220-240V - 50HZ 200W

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Alright Guys, Me again
After 2 Weeks Ive taken my LCD TV to the repair center, Cost me £25.00 for the Tech guys to look at it and find out what the Problem is well they have told me that its the LCD Panel which needs replacing which will cost me £450 !! I said to them NO THANKS ! im posting this in 2011 not 2008 or something why they charging me so much its crazy.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:11 pm

Time to break out the soldering iron and follow the step-by-step instructions in this thread. I can all but guarantee that you'll find the same bulging & defective capacitors that everyone else here has successfully replaced.

Samsung_LCD
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:13 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Time to break out the soldering iron and follow the step-by-step instructions in this thread. I can all but guarantee that you'll find the same bulging & defective capacitors that everyone else here has successfully replaced.

How can you be sure its the CAPS? If samsung tech guys tell me its the LCD Panel are they just trying to rip me off :o

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:15 pm

Samsung_LCD wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
How can you be sure its the CAPS? If samsung tech guys tell me its the LCD Panel are they just trying to rip me off :o

Pretty much. Samsung's response to this capacitor plague has been downright shameful.

Samsung_LCD
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:16 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Samsung_LCD wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Pretty much. Samsung's response to this capacitor plague has been downright shameful.

Ill give it one more last go : - http://www.ohmsupplies.co.uk/Repair-Kit ... des-Eeprom
I reckon these are the ones I need for my TV Model

Ill upload some pictures when I get my LCD back from the Samsung RIP OFF Center.

Samsung_LCD
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:19 pm

Also, Quick one..........
When the LCD TV first had this Problem it was Lines going Vertical on the TV after a few Wacks on the TV it fixed itself, But then the problem is the TV Stuck with the lines, Replaced the T-con board, Still had the Problem, Now the screen shows that totally black screen

Still CAPS need changing ? Or LCD Panel Lol

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:22 pm

Samsung_LCD wrote:
Ill give it one more last go : - http://www.ohmsupplies.co.uk/Repair-Kit ... des-Eeprom
I reckon these are the ones I need for my TV Model

Ill upload some pictures when I get my LCD back from the Samsung RIP OFF Center.

When electronic parts vendors are offering packages like that, it's pretty damn clear what the problem is.

EDIT: Look at the list of fault symptoms at the ohmsupplies site and compare it to your experience. You've got the capacitor plague.

ranchhand
Gerbil

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:55 pm

Samsung_LCD said:
How can you be sure its the CAPS?

Bud, the only way is to open up your screen and inspect your capacitors as dozens have done (including myself) on this website. Nobody can tell you if they are bad or not without directly inspecting your unit. If you don't want to do this, and you don't want to keep forking out money to service companies, then purchase a new unit. Those are the only three options you have.

spagzone
Gerbil In Training

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:04 pm

spagzone wrote:
Anyone have problems with controls on side of TV after replacing power board.
Replaced mine twice, after 2nd time the tv controls no longer functioned, along with the remote.
Sound is slightly low, and cant volume up or down. As is power on off button.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS...The 2 times I replaced board, I only swapped 2 capacitors to the next higher voltage.
I'm thinking of swiping all 5 to see if that solves control problems.

Thanks again

Ross

Well I finally swapped all five caps to original 2200uf 10v.....When I powered up TV, volume on screen automatically lowered itself to lowest level, and no sound/audio whatsoever now.....Great Picture with No sound.
Model# LN-T4671F............Remote Control or TV Controls on side of TV are not functioning. Help..........

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:35 pm

spagzone wrote:
Well I finally swapped all five caps to original 2200uf 10v.....When I powered up TV, volume on screen automatically lowered itself to lowest level, and no sound/audio whatsoever now.....Great Picture with No sound.
Model# LN-T4671F............Remote Control or TV Controls on side of TV are not functioning. Help..........

Possible that the Volume Down button is just plain dirty or stuck as a result of the repair work. You may need to get back in and clean it.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration