Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:38 pm

I am glad I found this. Lnt4042 started clicking with delay in powering on. Called samsung and they offered a one time fix. However, if capacitors are not bad then repair guy gets to charge me for a service call. 100 bucks. Then what it costs to repair. That means I would be charged up to 500. Definitely not worth it. I can go buy a new tv for that. Went to radioshack and spent $27 total for soldering kit and capacitors. Spent 1.5 hours and prayed it would work. It worked like a charm. Thanks to all who posted the repair solution. I will not buy another samsung product due to their refusal to stand behind their product.
Uncdds
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:33 pm

I have the Samsung LNS4041D LCD and had the same problem with the capacitors as all the other Samsung models. I used this forum to successfully fix that problem and was wondering if anyone had some ideas on my new issue. The t.v. turns on fine but the picture goes out after about 10-15 mins of being in operation. I can still see the shadows moving on the screen and the sound is still on. I'm assuming this is an issue with the backlight or some invertor. Any ideas on how to fix this issue?
cjbless
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:20 pm

Samsung LNS4041 LCD TV has backlight issue

Postposted on Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:55 pm

I have a Samsung LNS4041D LCD (about 3 yrs old) and I am having an issue with the backlight. I replaced the bulging caps about 8 months ago and the tv worked fine until a couple of days ago when the video just went black after about 10-15 mins of operation. The sound still works and I can see shadows moving on the screen if I have just the right lighting. I'm wondering if this is an issue with some sort of bulb or if it could possibly be some sort of in invertor. Anyways any advice on possible soulutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks All:)
cjbless
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:20 pm

Re: Samsung LNS4041 LCD TV has backlight issue

Postposted on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:24 pm

Merged into main Samsung thread.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20550
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:40 pm

My samsung LNT3253 lcd tv was popping on and off at startup. Took advice from this thread and found a bad capasitor. Bought a $1.79 capasitor (35v, 1000 uF) and soldering iron $7.99 FROM RADIO sHACK. Soldered it into the power supply board and tv works fine now. If I can do it, anyone can
pasj81
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Samsung LN S4051D

Postposted on Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:33 am

This is my first post so I hope I am in the correct area
My set has sound from a computer, cable or antenna but no picture anytime.
I do get what I would think is a test pattern, black and blur verticle stripes for a fraction of a second as I press source on the remote.
If it was a computer I would replace the video card.
Can anyone help wm with what I should replace here?
Jim
Last edited by Captain Ned on Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDIT BY MOD - Captain Ned - Merged into main Samsung thread.
jasher
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:49 am

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:05 am

m3atball wrote:allicate1214 -

Thanks so much for posting this! I called Samsung about my LN-T4669FX/XXA fter reading your post. As expected, the policy was valid as my TV was manufactured in Feb 2008. I was told a local shop person will call in 1-2 business days. In Los Angeles area they use USACO Corporation (based in Cerrito, CA). I found some customer reviews from the Las Vegas area, which was really below par. Keeping my fingers crossed - I'll update on the service quality later.


allicat1214 wrote:Hello all....

I have the Samsung LN-T4661F model and have had the same clicking/power issues for some time now. This morning was the last straw and TV just would NOT come on at all.

After reading thru all pages of this thread I called Samsung (to my surprise their hours are 9 am to midnight, EST, Mon-Sun, so they answered today!!).

(After reading the first few pages, I was going to attempt going to Radio Shack, but have NO soldering/electronics experience whatsoever. I do sewing work and crafts with glue gun, but that's the extent of my experience. My hubby is working LONG crazy hours due to oil spill --we live near New Orleans-- so he can't help.)

But after reading recent posts, I decided to call Samsung. I just wanted to report that they told me the same thing several recent posters have reported: they are offering a one-time fix if its the capacitors. And said a local repair company would be contacting me in 1 to 2 days. They also gave me a transaction # and followed up with an email with my info and the repair company's info.

I specifically wanted to say that unlike what someone posted back in March, Samsung is apparently now extending the one-time fix to TVs manufactured after Aug. 2007. My TV was manufactured in January 2008. When I saw that post, I wasn't going to call them, but decided to take a chance. Apparently they have recognized that more units are affected.

I will give update once TV is hopefully repaired for free. :lol:

I was having the same problem with the CLICKING AAAHHHH.......THE DAMN CLICKING. So I also contacted samsung and they offered the same "one time deal" to fix the problem which 97% of the time is the capacitors. The are eas to fix if ou have a little mechanical abilit and know how to recognize a bad capacitor. Like changing a fuse in our car. Anwa the do send out a local repair person who takes care of it in about 10 minutes. I had the same problem on m 36" 2008 samsung. Now the 52' TV IS DOING THE SAME THING. The will come and change them and thats that,so dont keep dealing with the clicking driving ou craz. Its a common problem and samsung will fix it for free. If a repair man comes and tells ou its a different problem get a 2nd opinion before ou pa a penn. Not all but some few repair gus can be shad and know samsung will pa them for the changing of capacitors but the do tr to sa its other problems and tr to charge ou as samsung will onl pa for the capacitors.DONT GET DUPED DUM DUM
samsungShaune
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:51 am

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:08 am

m3atball wrote:allicate1214 -

Thanks so much for posting this! I called Samsung about my LN-T4669FX/XXA fter reading your post. As expected, the policy was valid as my TV was manufactured in Feb 2008. I was told a local shop person will call in 1-2 business days. In Los Angeles area they use USACO Corporation (based in Cerrito, CA). I found some customer reviews from the Las Vegas area, which was really below par. Keeping my fingers crossed - I'll update on the service quality later.


allicat1214 wrote:Hello all....

I have the Samsung LN-T4661F model and have had the same clicking/power issues for some time now. This morning was the last straw and TV just would NOT come on at all.

After reading thru all pages of this thread I called Samsung (to my surprise their hours are 9 am to midnight, EST, Mon-Sun, so they answered today!!).

(After reading the first few pages, I was going to attempt going to Radio Shack, but have NO soldering/electronics experience whatsoever. I do sewing work and crafts with glue gun, but that's the extent of my experience. My hubby is working LONG crazy hours due to oil spill --we live near New Orleans-- so he can't help.)

But after reading recent posts, I decided to call Samsung. I just wanted to report that they told me the same thing several recent posters have reported: they are offering a one-time fix if its the capacitors. And said a local repair company would be contacting me in 1 to 2 days. They also gave me a transaction # and followed up with an email with my info and the repair company's info.

I specifically wanted to say that unlike what someone posted back in March, Samsung is apparently now extending the one-time fix to TVs manufactured after Aug. 2007. My TV was manufactured in January 2008. When I saw that post, I wasn't going to call them, but decided to take a chance. Apparently they have recognized that more units are affected.

I will give update once TV is hopefully repaired for free. :lol:

I was having the same problem with the CLICKING AAAHHHH.......THE DAMN CLICKING. So I also contacted samsung and they offered the same "one time deal" to fix the problem which 97% of the time is the capacitors. The are eas to fix if ou have a little mechanical abilit and know how to recognize a bad capacitor. Like changing a fuse in our car. Anwa the do send out a local repair person who takes care of it in about 10 minutes. I had the same problem on m 36" 2008 samsung. Now the 52' TV IS DOING THE SAME THING. The will come and change them and thats that,so dont keep dealing with the clicking driving ou craz. Its a common problem and samsung will fix it for free. If a repair man comes and tells ou its a different problem get a 2nd opinion before ou pa a penn. Not all but some few repair gus can be shad and know samsung will pa them for the changing of capacitors but the do tr to sa its other problems and tr to charge ou as samsung will onl pa for the capacitors.DONT GET DUPED DUM DUM B THE WA I CANT TPE LOL
samsungShaune
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:51 am

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:14 am

THE CLICKING AAAAAAAAHHHHH THE DAMN CLICKING....... My 36" had this problem and now the 52" is doing it.GOOD NEWS PEOPLE Samsung will fix this for FREE. 97% of the time it is the capacitors that are the problem. Take a second to call 1 800 samsung and the will give you a service #. a local technician will call you within 48hrs.Give them the number, set up a time, and they will come fix the problemo. BEWARE of techs who try to tell you there is another problem other than capacitor. Get a 2nd opinion. Some ,usually not, but some can be shady cats and try to get over on you.they know samsung will pay for the capacitors and thats it. Your on your own after that,so only authorize them to replace capacitors :D I have a 52" model lns4051 LCD they have fixed my other tv also in the same way. My worry is why does this keep happening to my new samsung tv's. Looks like should have went with the panasonic or lg after all?
samsungShaune
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:51 am

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:40 pm

My LNT4066FX/XAA was repaired with RadioShack resistors back in March. I did not use the High Temp 105s because the Shack did not carry them. I also used 10v. So, needless to say, the problem redeveloped. I ordered some 25v, 105* 1000uF, from Mouser. I'll be redoing this repair again. So.... Lesson Learned.....
Kurtgun11
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:29 pm

Kurtgun11 wrote:My LNT4066FX/XAA was repaired with RadioShack resistors back in March. I did not use the High Temp 105s because the Shack did not carry them. I also used 10v. So, needless to say, the problem redeveloped. I ordered some 25v, 105* 1000uF, from Mouser. I'll be redoing this repair again. So.... Lesson Learned.....


I registered just to +1 this post. Couldn't find any 105°'s in town so I got the 35v 85°'s from Radio Shack. Repair made in July 2010, worked perfectly, started having same problems in August 2010 and it's progressed.

I suspect it is heat/humidity related as I live in Louisiana and if the AC has been on high (79°F when I'm out) there's a greater chance the TV won't come on. After having the AC on 72° for a while, it will likely turn on. It's gotten much worse though so I'm going to go ahead and order the correct temps online and do it right.
optimal
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:53 pm

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:19 pm

people get nervous hearing about high volt resistors and so called tech terms but people take apart the back of your tv and have a look its really not that hard so dont be hesitant if you wish to go at it on your own you will find this problem in particular.suprisingly easy to fix
samsungShaune
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:51 am

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:30 pm

samsungShaune wrote:people get nervous hearing about high volt resistors and so called tech terms but people take apart the back of your tv and have a look its really not that hard so dont be hesitant if you wish to go at it on your own you will find this problem in particular.suprisingly easy to fix

Strongly disagree. Anyone attempting these repairs should have at least a basic familiarity with electronics and high voltage safety before popping the screws (a couple computer builds is a good start). In spite of the relative simplicity of many of these repairs, there are plenty of ways to die inside a mains-powered electronic device and someone should not be cavalier about their lack of abilities.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5469
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Samsung Capacitor Problems

Postposted on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:17 pm

I bought a Samsung monitor and, later, a Samsung TV because they were-quote un-quote a "highly rated" manufacturer.
I don't know who rated them, but I have a feeling it was a propaganda campaign. Because a capacitor burned out on my
television then two on my monitor.
When I got on to Samsung's website six months ago, they claimed that the problem was unknown; even though, there are
massive amounts of reports of bad capacitors in their products. Even today they are claiming no knowledge on their
website.
After getting around a run-a-round from Samsung for a week, they finally sent a service technician to my house to repair
my television; where as, I went and purchased higher voltage capacitors and repaired it myself.
It appears that Samsung has decided to make a few more pennies, in profit, by making low standard products instead
of making a durable, high quality product. Personally I will never buy one of their products ever again.
Last edited by Captain Ned on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDIT BY MOD - Captain Ned - Merged into main Samsung thread.
timothyldavis
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:56 pm

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:12 am

Hi, folks,

I have a LN32R Samsung LCD TV, that showed the power on problem about two months ago. Gradually. I mean, in the beginning it would fail to power on sporadically, let's say once every month. Suddenly it became worse, happening every week. Presently, I can still turn on the device, but only after a few trials, involving pulling the power cord and letting it this way for a few hours. The symptom: the red LED blinks and nothing happens when the power button is pressed in the remote control, or touched in the TV box.

I have already opened the TV set, and visually checked the capacitors. They look nice, very nice indeed. What annoys me is that when I manage to power on the TV, it works fine and flawlessly.

Question: shall I really suspect the capacitors?? Even with this erratic behavior?

Thank you in advance,

A. Kazelux
kazelux
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:39 am

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:13 pm

I would like to thank all involved with the power on problem coments regarding the Samsung LCD t.v.s and the great clear photos someone took the time to shoot and post. Great stuff.
Just knowing it wasn't mine alone that was clicking for a full minute or so before it will turn on was a relief. Then finding out that most all of you were able to fix it at a very low cost is another relief. I spent a fortune of the LNT4071RX/XAA Samsung 40 1080pi T.V. and had the feeling it would be a piece of trash soon. I too am headed to my local radio shack for the "fix". :D Thank You.
ZZYZZX1
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:44 pm

I had the same power and picture problem that has been discribed. I must thank everyone who has posted here. There is power and numbers. Samsung did the right thing and fixed my tv by installing a brand new power board. In fact the picture is better than ever and my HDMI input is finally working properly every time. (I can only guess that this was caused by some problem with the power board) It did take them a week to come out, but in the end it was a quick fix.

Darrell
wylcanada
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:34 pm

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:34 am

To: Gerbil in Training
It sounds like you may have nothing more than cold solder joint(s) on the capacitors you put in.
Make sure you have the correct wattage soldering iron (pencil), probably 40 to 45 watts.
In a higher humidity area, such as Louisiana, a cold flow (cold solder joint) will show up faster.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
AudioVideoDog

PS
A friend of mine, just notified me that his 2+ year old 46 inch Samsung TV is now giving him clicking noises on power up.
Samsung is surely going to suffer from this (as they should) on future TV sales.
AudioVideoDog
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:03 pm

Samsung Dark or Dim Screen Picture

Postposted on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:13 am

I have an LN-T4661FX that exhibited the common clicking and long powerup time. Upon inspection, 3 caps (10V 1000uf) were found to be shot.

I replaced them with 16V 1000uf (ESR was close to original) caps and buttoned everthing up hoping to have the smile everyone here speaks of.

However, upon turning on the LCD, the picture quality is very dark and dim. The clicking problem is gone and it turns on normally. The pink dots that used to appear are no longer there.

So replacing the caps did some good.............but why am I getting a dark dim picture. Please help.
Fargola
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:03 am

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:57 pm

I have a Samsung LNS4051D also and the same problem. I replaced all four capacitors, however this did not solve the problem. I found a cable assembly J632W that has burn marks on it. Also during my attempt to check out capacitors, I accidentally broke the connection between transformer TS801 and capacitor CY804. I would like to replace the cable assy and the transformer and cap. Does anyone know where I can locate these parts? A side question is why is the cap and transformer stuck together with a white glue like substance? That is where I broke the connection. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Jake777
jake777
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:15 pm

The burn marks are normal as I had them also. After doing the caps, did you get a picture?


jake777 wrote:I have a Samsung LNS4051D also and the same problem. I replaced all four capacitors, however this did not solve the problem. I found a cable assembly J632W that has burn marks on it. Also during my attempt to check out capacitors, I accidentally broke the connection between transformer TS801 and capacitor CY804. I would like to replace the cable assy and the transformer and cap. Does anyone know where I can locate these parts? A side question is why is the cap and transformer stuck together with a white glue like substance? That is where I broke the connection. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Jake777
Fargola
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:03 am

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:46 am

No picture, no power on at all.
jake777
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:54 am

Your issue sounds like a power supply problem. Take a nice clear photo of what you broke. I was able to get parts from a local electronics repair shop.
Fargola
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:03 am

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:04 pm

Because this thread helped me tremendously on this matter, I want to post my experience with this problem and the response I received from Samsung. My LNS4051 was purchased about four years ago. Worked great until two weeks ago when the TV started getting the power on problem. I searched the web and this page popped up. Unbelievably informative! So, I called Samsung. Was told initially that my LCD was not covered by the capacitor replacement program that they have going for some models. I asked for someone else to talk with. He transferred me to the next tier of cust service and they also said it wasn't covered. I asked why not since it was obviously the capacitor problem. The rep said he didn't think they would cover it but he would assign a work order number to the issue and inquire with someone else to see what they would do. After a delay, he comes back and says that they will cover it but I will need to pay a diagnostic fee to the repair company. Ridiculous, but finally I said OK to the $79 fee. Two days later, the repair company calls to schedule an appointment. I ask about the fee and he says Samsung is covering it. Surprise! Repair guy came out today. At least two of the capacitors looked blown. He pulled the board, put a new one in and all is right with the world. No charge! Don't take NO for an answer!
clubdoctr
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:25 pm

I want to add that the circuit board the repair guy put in as a replacement had higher rated capacitors. I think he said 25V rating. I asked him if he does a lot of the Samsung capacitor repairs. He said THIS REPAIR IS ALL HE DOES...and he's a full time employee!!! And then added that this problem was providing significant work for many electronics repair companies. Where is Wikileaks on this one?!?!
clubdoctr
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:27 pm

Took a picture of the xfrmr and cap, but could not paste it to this msg.
jake777
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:58 pm

jake777 wrote:Took a picture of the xfrmr and cap, but could not paste it to this msg.

You'll need to upload it to someplace like Flickr and then link it using the Img tag.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20550
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:35 pm

I posted a question 20 days ago, now I bring the answer myself.

If your capacitors don't look blown, don't change them! I tried, it did not work out. I will add - if you are not familiar with soldering and de-soldering components on a printed circuit board, do not try this, you will end with a few broken cooper tracks.

If you dont like Samsung, try an independent repair shop. That's what I did, after failing to repair switching capacitors. One should not make experiments with a switched power source. It´s delicate and complicated.

Take care.
kazelux
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:39 am

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:06 pm

kazelux wrote:I posted a question 20 days ago, now I bring the answer myself.

If your capacitors don't look blown, don't change them! I tried, it did not work out. I will add - if you are not familiar with soldering and de-soldering components on a printed circuit board, do not try this, you will end with a few broken cooper tracks.

If you dont like Samsung, try an independent repair shop. That's what I did, after failing to repair switching capacitors. One should not make experiments with a switched power source. It´s delicate and complicated.

Take care.


What components did the repair shop replace?
Fargola
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:03 am

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Postposted on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:55 am

I have a LE52M8 LVD TV which has the clicking problem on startup,the TV is in Tenerife but as I live part time in the UK I contacted them and they said the would send a repairman out free of charge as it was a known problem even though my TV was 3years old when I told him the TV was in Tenerife he gave the the number to contact in Spain which I did and they told me they didn't know of any problem and I would have to pay for any repair. So it doesn't look like a Global Free Repair, only in countries what have the biggest shout. I have bought some capacitors for the repair but im still going to fight my corner in Tenerife for a free repair, so any contact numbers that might be helpful would be great. charles
crobioo
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:34 am

PreviousNext

Return to Visual Haven

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests