Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Books

Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:02 pm

Now that I've got a good dSLR I wanted to re-learn what I thought I knew with a regular SLR. I picked up a couple of books to help with that process. This one I'm finding really interesting. The author explains everything you need to know about how to get the right exposure for the picture you want. The best thing about it is that he tells you what settings he used for each picture in the book. I'm finding it a really good read. What I've learned so far.......you don't need high ISO settings for all but the most complex of shots. Most of the pics in the book are ISO 200.

The other one I got is Digital Photography for Dummies. There's not a ton of helpful stuff in there, but it does have some good tips for using PhotoShop. It's an amalgamation of 5 Dummies books about digital photography, and for $27 how could I resist.

Anyone got any other suggestions for good books to read.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Books

Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:06 pm

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Re: Books

Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:13 pm

The Camera and to a somewhat lesser extent the rest of the books in that series (IIRC they have more film-specific stuff in them, although thinking of digital as similar to slide film makes a lot of the "film" stuff relevant.) was quite useful. John Shaw's books on nature and landscape photography are good. Light: Science and Magic is quite good for lighting information.