Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

connect pc and xbox to same display/speakers

Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:41 am

Hey guys,

What I want to do is have one TV and speakers which is shared by both my Xbox and my PC, is this possible to do without using an AV Receiver? My current display is a dell 24" monitor which only has one dvi input, and I would have to use VGA for my xbox or PC to have both connected to this. I'm thinking of getting a bigger display like a plasma or LCD TV but before I do I want to figure out how I could have it all connected so when I do buy a TV I get one with enough ports. An example of a TV that I might consider is this 1080p panasonic, I don't know much about plasmas I mean I know what some of the terms mean such as contrast ratio, resolution etc but I have no field of reference as to what is good.

Also is using a TV as your PC display actually feasible? I am guessing that it is so long as the TV has decent resolution 720p or greater, but I've never tried so if there's anyone who is already doing this or has experience with it I'd be glad to hear from you.

The other thing is the speakers I have are just some crappy logitech 5.1 speakers, they connect to the sound source via 3 3.5mm connectors and came with a little adapter that lets me connect my xbox360s composite RCA connectors to them. I'm really not sure how I would be able to connect these up to receive sound from a TV, PC and Xbox360 though. If anyone here has managed to share their speakers with their PC TV and Xbox please let me know how you did it, the only way I can think of is to use an AV Receiver but I don't really want to have a full home theatre setup if I can avoid it.