Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

USB mini LCD suitable for clipping onto a laptop's LCD?

Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:45 am

I've seen all those 7-8" 800x480 USB-powered mini LCDs... are there any that can clip to the side of a laptop's LCD?

I want a ThinkPad X61tds. :) And an 800x480 display would be perfect for sticking status displays or IMs on, leaving the rest of the screen for other stuff. (Or, if the USB bandwidth is sufficient, sticking videos on that display, so I can watch a video while doing other stuff more easily.)

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: USB mini LCD suitable for clipping onto a laptop's LCD?

Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:52 am

bhtooefr wrote:
I've seen all those 7-8" 800x480 USB-powered mini LCDs... are there any that can clip to the side of a laptop's LCD?

I want a ThinkPad X61tds. :) And an 800x480 display would be perfect for sticking status displays or IMs on, leaving the rest of the screen for other stuff. (Or, if the USB bandwidth is sufficient, sticking videos on that display, so I can watch a video while doing other stuff more easily.)

That would be cool on my 13.3" laptop with its 1280x800 resolution... having a little 480x800 vertical side-thingy would be neat. It would wreck the whole point of having a small laptop, but it would be neat.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: USB mini LCD suitable for clipping onto a laptop's LCD?

Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:55 am

Well, it'd be like a mini version of the W700ds's second display, but fully detachable instead of sliding in and out. :)

Although, I'm wondering... maybe I could make a spring-loaded clip of some kind to attach one to the main LCD. Hang the clip from the top, with spring-loaded "arms" that tighten down on the sides of the LCD (and could work on different screen sizes.) Then, just mount the mini LCD on that clip.