do I need a converter for my insignia lcd?

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

do I need a converter for my insignia lcd?

Postposted on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:07 pm

hello all,
I have a small 15 inch insignia LCD tv that I bought last year. I figured because it was an hdtv I wouldnt need a converter box. When I go into the menu it has an "auto channel" search function and displays both analogue and digital channels found. Since the switch I have nothing but fuzz on my screen. Do I need a converter box? If so, how come, shouldnt my tv that can recognize digital channels be able to receive the digital signal? Ive been googling about this but all the info is on converter boxes. Thanks in advance
-ilc
i7 860
10gb gskill | 120gb intel SSD
HD 5770 (30 inch dell)
Win 7 (64)
tacky case | 3 fans
ilcmuchas
Gerbil First Class

Re: do I need a converter for my insignia lcd?

Postposted on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:08 pm

If it has an ATSC tuner, then no, you don't need a box. What model is it?

EDIT: if it is this one then it says it has an ATSC tuner.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:14 pm

How strong was your signal (i.e. how clear was the picture) when you were still on analog? The thing about digital is if you're in a marginal signal area, you may get no picture at all; there's no middle ground. A better antenna might help if this is the case.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:48 am

no its this one http://www.insignia-products.com/pc-269 ... ision.aspx which has a NTSC tuner. so I guess I do need a box... Signal was great before, so I dont think that was it.
i7 860
10gb gskill | 120gb intel SSD
HD 5770 (30 inch dell)
Win 7 (64)
tacky case | 3 fans
ilcmuchas
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:24 am

ilcmuchas wrote:no its this one http://www.insignia-products.com/pc-269 ... ision.aspx which has a NTSC tuner. so I guess I do need a box... Signal was great before, so I dont think that was it.

Just to let you know, that's not "HDTV" like you had said in the first post. That's why I was confused as to which model. You are correct, you will need a converter box of some sort (or an HTPC with a tuner card).
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Picture Went Out

Postposted on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:02 pm

My Son has a 2 year old Insignia 37" 1080 p.i. that was working correctly on Direct T.V. Dish. One day the picture went out. He still gets sound when he turns it on but no picture. (With alot of comments about the Samsung power on problem recently, I was able to completely fix our Samsung 40" 1080 p.i. with new capacitors. Now the t.v. works great.) Does anyone know if a similar fix can be made on a Insignia t.v.? Thanks, Randy in Perrysburg, Oh.
ZZYZZX1
Gerbil In Training

Return to Visual Haven