Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

ChipT
Gerbil
Topic Author

Color Calibration

Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:17 pm

This has been touched on in some of my other posts, but I haven't every asked about it specifically. I'm looking for a color calibration solution that provides good color accuracy, but is as economical as possible. I just bought a Dell 2209WA (had to ebay it since it appears to be discontinued), and now that I have a decent screen, I want to make sure it works well too. I have a triple-monitor set up, so ideally I'd get each calibrated but use the Dell as my primary Photoshop view.

What is the best strategy to calibrate the screen? Do I really need to buy one of these units, or can I just rent one (as was mentioned on one thread), or even buy and sell a unit. I know there is also software calibration too. . .I'm just new to this entire effort, so I am looking for a cheap but quality solution (and maybe a brief mention of the process involved in implementing it).

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Color Calibration

Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:32 pm

For best results either buy one, rent one, or buy sell one. Assuming your monitors will keep the setting through a loss of power (mine doesn't!!!) you shouldn't have to worry about owning one in the long term.

firestorm02
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:03 am

Simple and easy to use. I have the Pro and it works great on my 2209WA.
http://spyder.datacolor.com/product-mc.php
A64 X2 4200 @2.4GHz (939|90nm) | ABIT AV8 K8T800 PRO | Visiontek 3850AGP | 3GB OCZ DDR3200 Dual-Ch| RAPTOR 36.7GB SATA | WD 320GB SATA | NEC 16X DVD+RW DL | LG 16X DVD | Zalman CNPS9500 LED | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 600W OCZ StealthXStream

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:24 am

You can look for them on ebay or CL, or you can check locally with pro-oriented photo stores (ie, not that camera place in the mall) to see about rental rates (I've found pro places often have lower rates over the weekend vs during weekdays, but YMMV). Since it is something you ideally do once and never again, rental can work. But just keep in mind you may have to recalibrate at some point, probably when it is least convenient. If you do photoshop work on any kind of deadline, you probably want to have the means to do it on short notice just in case. And before you do that, do the background reading on color profiles etc so you understand what you're doing and what you're trying to do. Lots of discussion of this on the web.

NeronetFi
Gerbil First Class

Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:08 am

Did you install the drivers for the monitor? I tried locating a .icm color profile for your monitor but from what I see when you install the drivers it loads the calibrated .icm.

Have a look through this thread about calibrating your monitor. You might be able to get some answers.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1387587