Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

A good 24" LCD

Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:03 pm

Hello people, I have been a religious reader of the site for about 2 years now, and finally signed on.

I am looking for a 24" LCD (NOT TN PANEL). I mainly do a lot of reading on the web with some ocasional CSS gaming. I am currently comparing the Dell 2408WFP, and the HP LP2475W.

I remember Cyril bloging about these two monitors. Any opinions, and other options would be appreciated, I also reside in Canada, so we don't get a lot of the European models.

Thanks
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: A good 24" LCD

Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:35 pm

If you can afford it, you might want to look at the Dell U2410 instead -- same panel as the HP, more features. See the discussion and links here. There was just a 20% off introductory sale on it (taking it down from US $599 to $479). The next time a sale like that comes around, I'm probably pulling the trigger. I don't know if Dell.ca does similar coupon deals from time to time but it's worth it if they do.

(As for the HP, check out the monitor section of their refurbished list -- I don't know if they'll ship to Canada, but you can sometimes find the LP2475W on there for a very good price)

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:35 pm

Cyril's blogging about the 2408WFP is no longer valid due to the A1 revision which fixed up pretty much all his grievances. I personally own both a 2408WFP and a 2407WFP-HC, and I love both. No complaints. I know people complain about input lag, but I haven't ever noticed it during my gaming sessions, and I consider myself an enthusiast level gamer, playing a combination of RTS, FPS, RGP, and casual games. I highly appreciate the selection of inputs available on both monitors, but the 2408 in particular for it's dual DVI. But I sometimes work on multiple systems at a time, doing maintenance for friends and family. At one point I had 5 different systems plugged into the monitors (4 desktops and a laptop). And the media card reader and 2 USB ports is a nice bonus. The only complaint that I'd have about the 2408WFP is that it's back-lighting is SLIGHTLY inconsistent. It's not big, and I really only notice it if I have an entire screen that is a single, bright colour (i.e. all white). Anything dark, or that's moving, and it goes away.

It's a little expensive at $700, but I regularly drops to the $600 mark, and I bought mine when it was $550. I once saw it available for $529 (all prices from dell.ca). Actually, I just checked now, and they have it up for $500. Definitely a great price there. Almost tempting to pick up a third one to top out AMD's Eyefinity tech....

They've also got the U2410 listed there now. I'd be interested in seeing what the reviews are saying about that model. Anyone know what type of back light they are using with it?
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 2TB Western Digital Black
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
Windows 10 64-bit

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:06 pm

emorgoch wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing what the reviews are saying about that model. Anyone know what type of back light they are using with it?
You can start at the end of this 30+ page thread @ hardforum and work your way backwards....

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:18 pm

IPS is better than PVA. PVA has 'black crush' and off-axis color/contrast shifting that is inherent in the panel type that IPS does not. If you value the *best* IQ and don't mind the possible higher cost IPS is the way to go.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:47 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
If you can afford it, you might want to look at the Dell U2410 instead -- same panel as the HP, more features. See the discussion and links here. There was just a 20% off introductory sale on it (taking it down from US $599 to $479). The next time a sale like that comes around, I'm probably pulling the trigger. I don't know if Dell.ca does similar coupon deals from time to time but it's worth it if they do.
TYVM! I may be looking at one soon too! Didn't know a worthy UltraSharp follow-on exists until now. We are getting screwed up here with a ~10% premium after accounting for exchange rate, but at least this is potential competition for the HP (they can be found at ~650 in Canada AFAICT). Dell.ca does not seem to do special coupon deals anymore, but every now and then they have "days of deals". Such a new monitor may not be included the next time they do this (they have a small business days of deals going on now). We will have to see what pre-Christmas and Boxing Week will bring us.

For the Canadians among us, redflagdeals.com is our friend (or foe).
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:27 pm

Where were these kind of informative responses when I was asking for monitor advice. :-?

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

You're not Canadian. (No, Bellingham doesn't count.)

Besides, you don't need buying advice. You can just sit back and win stuff.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:07 pm

ssidbroadcast wrote:
Where were these kind of informative responses when I was asking for monitor advice. :-?

I think I count 1 post not directly referring to displays that cost over twice your stated budget. There's just not much to discuss at the $200 price point. You're pretty much choosing from among a bunch of TN panels built to a price point with minimal attention to image quality. People have more recommendations for higher-priced displays because there are reasons other than "they're cheap" to want higher priced displays and the choices are fewer. There aren't a thousand clones built to be cheap, there are a handful of options that legitimately differentiate themselves.

People that spend $200 on a monitor, for the most part, aren't quality-conscious. People that are concerned about the quality of their display, for the most part, at least try really hard to stretch their budget away from TN territory. You got a recommendation for a panel that's about the cheapest way to get a decent IPS panel. There's not all the much more to offer there, short of googling for you.

reynolm
Gerbil First Class

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:09 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
(As for the HP, check out the monitor section of their refurbished list -- I don't know if they'll ship to Canada, but you can sometimes find the LP2475W on there for a very good price)

KD911A4R#ABA Refurbished HP 24 inch LP2475w Widescreen LCD Rmkt Monitor Refurbished: $449.00 List: $568.00
KD911A8R#ABA Refurbished HP 24 inch LP2475w Widescreen LCD Rmkt Monitor Refurbished: $449.00 List: $568.00

There's also a 19", a few 20"s and 22"s, and a 30" 4:3.
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
- Philip K. Dick

kcarlile
Gerbil

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:11 pm

I'm pretty happy with my HP LP2475w at work, but obviously I don't play games on it.

reynolm
Gerbil First Class

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:18 pm

mattsteg wrote:
People that spend $200 on a monitor, for the most part, aren't quality-conscious. People that are concerned about the quality of their display, for the most part, at least try really hard to stretch their budget away from TN territory. You got a recommendation for a panel that's about the cheapest way to get a decent IPS panel. There's not all the much more to offer there, short of googling for you.

Some people are quality-conscious, yet also poor.

Some people *coughSSIDBROADCASTcough* just won a tricked out Core i7 rig. =P

kcarlile wrote:
I'm pretty happy with my HP LP2475w at work, but obviously I don't play games on it.

Clearly, you should be taking your monitor home nightly to cement your bond with it.
Last edited by reynolm on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Philip K. Dick

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:22 pm

reynolm wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:

KD911A4R#ABA Refurbished HP 24 inch LP2475w Widescreen LCD Rmkt Monitor Refurbished: $449.00 List: $568.00
KD911A8R#ABA Refurbished HP 24 inch LP2475w Widescreen LCD Rmkt Monitor Refurbished: $449.00 List: $568.00

There's also a 19", a few 20"s and 22"s, and a 30" 4:3.

Yeah I watched CNET's (super-vague) review on the HP LP2275w and they spoke pretty highly of it despite being a TFT panel. If I get it refurb, it costs basically as much as the IPS monitor from Dell. Which is better? This HP or the 2009WA monitor from Dell?

UberGerbil wrote:

Ouch, Uber! Is someone bitter? If it makes you feel any better, I am 75% certain your annual salary is several-fold the most I've ever made in my life. In fact I'm quite poor, actually. You could probably outright buy me and sell me.

reynolm
Gerbil First Class

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:26 pm

ssidbroadcast wrote:
Ouch, Uber! Is someone bitter? If it makes you feel any better, I am 75% certain your annual salary is several-fold the most I've ever made in my life. In fact I'm quite poor, actually. You could probably outright buy me and sell me.

Hard to be the king, eh? *grin*

- Philip K. Dick

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:34 pm

reynolm wrote:
mattsteg wrote:

Some people are quality-conscious, yet also poor.
Yes, and those people by necessity tend to either save up for the display they really want or give up and settle.

Heck, that largely describes me. I know what I want. I know how much it costs. I haven't perceived the value to be great enough for me to buy it(I.e. my money's staying in my pocket), but I know that lesser panels would disappoint me. Therefore I don't buy. I realize that this only works when you have an existing and adequate display, but displays that make image quality a priority don't normally exist at that $200 price point.

If I spend $200 on a display for personal use, I'm going to spend more to get something that puts out a good picture. If I only have the $200, I wait, if possible. That price point does not offer a good value if the limitations of TN are problems for you. Period.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:04 pm

ssidbroadcast wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:
Ouch, Uber! Is someone bitter?

Of course, the rest of us will always be partly bitter. This is just part of geek-envy. :P
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks for the replies, minus SSID for hijacking my post ;)

"Where were these kind of informative responses when I was asking for monitor advice. :-?"

Judging from the replies I read in the shortbreads, you were probably drunk SSID LOL

The cheapest new HP LP2475W I can find in CND is newegg.ca at 650.00

the 2408w dell just went on sale, 500.00 down from 700.00

the dell U2410 is $750.00, which is outa my budget unfortunatly :( especially since I have to tack on another 13% sales tax lol

I can also find a sammy 245T for about 550.00

But I hear issues of input lag with the sammy, but the sammy 2233RZ 120hz monitor caught my interest, reviews say its easy on the eyes in desktop 2d mode running 120hz but its stand blows, and it cant display full 1080p. Hmmm, I think I need 3 more jobs and buy 1 of each.

So I guess the main question is now, is the HP IPS panel worth the 170 more than the dell 2408?? My 100ms ping on top of any input lag probly wouldnt help in css, added to the fact that im not that good lol

Thanks
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:15 pm

Both of those panels have input lag; the HP because of all of the processing they tack onto it, like NEC does, and the Dell for the same reason in addition to it's panel technology requiring pre-charging to reduce ghosting. At that point, I'd tell you to get what you can afford; I'd probably go with the Dell, as the VA panels are also well known for deeper blacks, and are widely used in Samsung/Sony TV's for that reason.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:31 am

Dell (US) is having a one of their periodic "one day" sales: no sign of the U2410, but the 2408 is $100 off (at $449).

As an aside: I know about the "U" line, but what's the difference between dell's normal "E" line and their "Professional" P line?

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:07 pm

*moved to Visual Haven*
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:24 pm

Get the U2410, if you happen to find it on sale or are willing to save up for it; the 2408 if you cannot.

I just read a review of the U2410, by the way, that tested input lag, and the verdict came out good, better than I was expecting. It's my new dream display, and even Kyle over at the [H] used three during his EyeFinity review!

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:35 pm

ssidbroadcast wrote:

It sounds like you only make about twice as much as me (twice as in 4870 doubled, not twice as in 4870 X2) :lol: Yep, I bought my 2007FP used for $165. It's tough to come home from the 2408WFP at work, well, doubly tough since I run two of those at work. :-?

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:38 pm

Yeah, debating trading in my 2 x 19" displays for one IPS 24" display. Really tired of the black line in-between. Maybe save one 19" display for external stuff or my soon to be Ubuntu box.