Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

alldaydreamer
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Samsung 67in DLP HL-S6767W

Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:47 pm

Purchased this Samsung DLP in Feb of 2007. It just started turning itself off once or twice every 4 or 5 days. It's warranty was for only one year. Does this sound like a capacitor issue? :roll:

Vrock
Gerbil God

Re: Samsung 67in DLP HL-S6767W

Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:43 am

When you say turn itself off, do you mean fans and everything? Or do you just get a blank screen but the fan keeps running?

The cap issues I've read about were on Samsung's LCD line, not their DLPs, and it showed itself as a series of clicks when you tried to power up the TV. A co-worker of mine just had his TV fail after two years due to capacitors. He called Samsung and got them to fix it for free, and his TV was out of warranty. Give them a call and see what they say.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:29 am

The lamp may be approaching time to replace. If the lamp is just on the edge of its functional envelope, under certain circumstances, the ignition circuit will detect the lamp as failed and shut down. Of course that is just a random guess and I would expect the TV to show some kind of error condition (flash lights, etc), not just power off.

Need more details on the exact behavior to do more than take a random guess.

--SS

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:49 pm

Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

alldaydreamer
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:52 pm

To Vrock

The TV turns off completely as if the power button was pressed. :cry:

alldaydreamer
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:12 pm

Called Samsung today. They read off a trouble shooting guide. States that a power component may be about to go out. Mentioned to them that on their website they have a firmware update for two other models that have an issue with turning off and back on. Wondered if this was related. No response. They advised to call a technician. Big help they are. :cry:

alldaydreamer
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Update on my Samsung DLP 67inch

Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Purchased a new lamp although not sure if it was the problem. While waiting for the lamp to arrive I called a local TV repair guy. He said he would charge $30. to diagnose the problem , so I said what the heck. He pulled out and tested my power supply and determined it is working fine. Says my lamp was the problem although he never touched anything other than the power supply board. He quoted me a price of $250. to replace the lamp, of course I declined what with the new lamp on its way. Now here is whats strange, ever since he pulled the board out, the TV has been working and turning on just fine. A bit dusty back there wondering if that could be the problem or perhaps cutting all power to the TV had something to do with it. Perhaps just a coincidence.