Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Re: Enter here for a shot at a GeForce GTX 460 or Metro 2033

Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:13 pm

Title: Acrobots to the Rescue!

I came home today, and lo, there was trouble in Silicon Alley! Something traumatic happened; I'm not sure what it was, but I had just enough time to setup my camera and catch my Acrobots saving each other from the wreckage:

Look at all that destruction! One helpless acrobot is being pulled out from under an AMD Athlon Thunderbird, while a nearby friend is pulling herself free of a 128 MB stick of 133 MHz RAM, a Silicon Image controller chip, and other debris. Meanwhile, two strong acrobots struggle to lift a Pentium III cartridge off of their companion. There's lots of debris. Nightclubs such as the original Creative AWE, AWE64, and Live! are scattered about, as is the fancy Pro Audio Spectrum 16 Concert Hall. The Aureal Vortex 2 Jazz House is damaged, but no one's been there for years, anyway. The acrobots' housing looks mostly fine: various motherboards, including a slew of old Pentium boards (from an oldie with an S3 Vision864 chip, S82433NX bus controller, and Pentium 75 chip, to a K7N2 that safely and efficiently releases heat to the atmosphere), though some succumbed to the disaster. The ATi Radeon 9800 townhouses are still standing, though the old Trident buildings are demolished. Government buildings, including the SCSI, IDE, and bus extensions seem damaged, but the 3Com NICs are not beyond repair.

All in all, roughly three dozen pieces are represented here (some pulled from working machines).

There's a 1600 pixel-wide version (if one is required) here.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:31 am

I call my entry "Picnic Crashers".

Sepia seemed appropriate since every one of those chips is quite stale.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

brajko2
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:10 am

Hi people
Here are some of my own pictures, that I've taken when I was at the fair.
Now I see that over some past years, I've collected some pretty impressive pictures.
Although I may lack some creativity as other people have already posted here :-)
First of them are from Intel. Some of them are famous Wafers from which the processors are made. But I also like the picture where you can compare Intel Atom chip size with 20 EuroCents.
Here it goes, hope you'll like some of them...

brajko2
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:41 am

Asus Eee keyboard - An Entire Touchscreen Home Theater PC

Next up is GeIL DBT (Die-Hard Burn-in technology) and chamber or better to say oven :-) where they cook up memory modules and test them with lots of heat in it...
But beware of the red-eyed dragons lurking into the dark!!! :-)

some gaming rigs

And now the reincarnation of legendary C64!!
I almost cried when I saw the specs of this rig. Well if it isn't every geek dream, then I don't know what it is..

brajko2
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:33 am

Here's Thermaltake solution with mini-fridge as cooling solution..

Sapphire gaming rig, and ATI Eyefinity display demo.. next to it there was a nice chick with guns! :-)

Next thing is quite funny. When I went to Runcore on of the Chinese most popular SSD manufacturers, I couldn't believe their Industry grade SSD was running in the water. So the nice guy who works there had to take out, and to put the SSD back in as live demo! And then I believed that it really works in extreme weather conditions :-)

And last but definitely not least important, here are two rigs from MSI stand. You could say that sugar comes at the end. Or other way it can be said sa 'sucking up' to the judges. I just don't if they will be from TR or Msi :-)

Either way I had very much fun browsing my collection of older pictures. And this was contest with which I had most fun!
Keeping my fingers crossed, and good luck to all..

Beomagi
Gerbil

Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:54 am

Click for full size.

conjurer
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:18 am

Here is my old hardware.

This is old russian 1 game console. Still works, but i had no batteries.

quock
Gerbil

Capacitor problem

Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:59 am

Capacitor problem

xanderenigma
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:54 am

Close up shot of GTX260

Full Size
http://www.alexanderklement.co.uk/IMG_0586.jpg

stefem
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:57 pm

Some fun...

GPU

NVIDIA Quadro 4GB equiped

Classified board approaching

Classified
Last edited by stefem on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:39 pm

One of my first, truly custom case builds, as it did not involve modifying an existing case and though it had gone missing from a storage theft, nearly two years ago, I have actually managed to re-acquire it, thanks to the help of a friend of mine. It has significant sentimental value to me, as my father helped me build it, and not only that, it was finally returned to me just days after him passing away, several weeks ago.

cappa84
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:55 pm

Title: The Player

Really wanted to use either my Sega Master System II control-pad, or my NES control-pad, but was worried I’d be disqualified as they aren’t ‘PC hardware’. Awesome competition! Thank you Tech Report for the opportunity! Good luck to all! :)

Saiboogu
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:36 pm

Introducing Scrappy Noburn. He died and went to heaven. Met lady friend. How he got there we'll never know.

dave8432
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:26 pm

My first and still favorite piece of PC hardware.

stickninja
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:37 pm

Close up of my Intellinet NIC. Canon EF 50mm f1.8 (reversed), Canon 270EX Speedlite, Canon Rebel XS. F11, 1/200s, ISO 100.

Last edited by stickninja on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spotpuff
Gerbil

Enter here for a shot at a GeForce GTX 460 or Metro 2033

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:18 am

This took way, way longer than it should have!

Direct links:
http://imgur.com/Gf5rd.jpg

http://imgur.com/Sh4HW.jpg

krazyboi
Gerbil First Class

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:11 am

I just got that transparent screen installed :D

"Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you."

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:34 am

I am confident that I won't win anything, not nice enough presentation or quality. However, I had fun digging out some of my museum pieces. Embedded pics are small, links are full-size. I saw some stuff in other pics that I had laying around, threw it in for fun!

You can browse all the pics at http://screenshots.rq3.com/monk/tr-pics/

On with the show!

Not pictured: Case like someone here had, aqua one. Amiga 500+ with extra RAM and hard drive, didn't fit with the rest of the stuff nicely. Radius Pivot CRT for Mac (CRT pivots from landscape to portrait mode! CRT!!!) External 7-disc SCSI CD-ROM changer, 2x, kinda big. Big old S100-bus based computer. Heathkit H89 Z-80 computer with extra drives, ran CP/M (of course). Some 486 desktop systems (NEC and Packard Bell!) Still new-in-box IBM XT plus monitor. A P4 with 1 GB RAMBUS memory that I keep just because, you know, RDRAM! Other assorted doodads like full-height hard drives. I got 3.5" drives that are twice the normal height. I got 5.25" hard drives that are half the height of a CD-ROM. And 5.25" hard drives that are TWICE the height of a CD-ROM. Not old MFM/RLL drives, either, these are IDE and SCSI. MANLY drives. Darn, should have snapped some pics.

So we begin our journey with a vast collection of old stuff. Can you name the computers?

http://screenshots.rq3.com/monk/tr-pics/IMGP6565.JPG

http://screenshots.rq3.com/monk/tr-pics/IMGP6580.JPG

http://screenshots.rq3.com/monk/tr-pics/IMGP6567.JPG

http://screenshots.rq3.com/monk/tr-pics/IMGP6569.JPG

Ok, you figured out the Kaypro II, an old luggable that runs CP/M and MS Basic. You'd be excused about the "base" as they are obscured. Three Macs, two IIci's and one IIcx. To the left a TANK of a computer, a Quadro 950. To the right a workstation, dual PPro 200 MHz HP Vectra VL6/200, I think (forgot to look). In the background, who can miss the classic B&W G3? I put it out of rotation once I got a G4 that can run OS X 10.5.

Also, unlike you hippies running your ILLEGAL Lunix, please note my licensed and LEGAL copy of SCO UnixWare! That's right, no lawbreakin' fer me! And to the left a NEW IN SHRINK Daikatana! I don't know if I should give it away as a present or save it for a special occasion and try to play it one day. Maybe if I had a new video card I would be l33t enough to play John Romero's masterpiece!

Speaking of things that I saw other people reference, here's a good ol' SuperDrive sitting on top of a Bernoulli drive. To the left, a 5-disc SCSI CD changer and on top of that a Castlewood Orb drive, 2.2 GB. Screw you, Jaz and Syquest users, the Orb was faster and COOLER and pretty much died without gaining any marketshare. But it was neat! SCSI, IDE, and USB versions. I think I have USB but it might be USB/SCSI combo. Yes I put it back in The Shrine (a drawer) and am too lazy to check!

http://screenshots.rq3.com/monk/tr-pics/IMGP6570.JPG

Ah, but what's this? Random goodies?

http://screenshots.rq3.com/monk/tr-pics/IMGP6568.JPG

http://screenshots.rq3.com/monk/tr-pics/IMGP6571.JPG

Someone talked about a RAM Disk. I think he's got me beat for oldness but my BocaRAM/AT card looks the part! Below it we have some random VL-Bus video card, remember them? I think this is some Cirrus Logic BEAST. The daunting red card is the Advanced Gravis UltraSound PnP, 8 MB of RAM in that bad boy. It features the AMD Interweave (Interwave?) chip to mix 32 channels of CD audio in realtime. And the sleek black number with 127 on it? Quantum HardCard EZ, 127 MB hard drive on an ISA slot. I once installed Win95 on it and it booted on a 486 system. SLOW. TOOK FOREVER. And I don't know how that worked because the BIOS didn't recognize it anyway. No 32-bit drivers for the hard drive controller under Windows so it had warnings on it in device manager. Below that you can just see part of a Renaissance Graphics video card, has a Xilinix processor on it. A really early 3D card for CAD/CAM, mostly. 3D on ISA, neat!

http://screenshots.rq3.com/monk/tr-pics/IMGP6577.JPG

At the top we have an OrangePC. Below the Kaypro II keyboard we have a full-length OrangePC. I think one is a 486 and the other is a Pentium. These were "PC on a card" solutions for Macs to have full hardware "emulation" for running PC stuff. Apple had some branded versions, too, I have one somewhere. Drivers kind of stopped working in OS X because the companies that made them went out of business. The card with the blue handle? A quad-channel SCSI card! Adaptec 4944W if i recall. I was in a "quad" kick for a while, have two or three quad-channel NIC cards. One even does TCP offloading from the CPU--eat that, Bigfoot NIC! (or whatever it's called) On the other end of esoteric stuff, I have an Adaptec 3944UWD (not pictured) which is a dual-channel ultrawide differential. HVD, high-voltage differential. What is that, you say? You've only heard of LVD for SCSI? My friends, HVD will fry a "single ended" or "normal" SCSI system if you put HVD stuff in there. Pumps out more juice, electrically incompatible with normal SCSI. Back in the day, though, you could run the cable for 25 meters. TWENTY FIVE METERS! That's just craaazy!

Speaking of SCSI, below the blue-handled card, we have an early Western Digital ISA SCSI card. Didn't know WD used to make controllers? Neither does the internet when you're looking for drivers for the damn thing! Below that we have the always popular SoundBlastr 16 ASP (oops they got sued, I mean CSP). I used to have a WaveBlaster and then a WaveBlaster II add-on wavetable daughter card for this but not sure where it went. Probably hiding with my #$^$# Roland MT-32 I can't find, either.

To round things out, only some of the CPUs. In the wider shots you saw the SECC CPUs, got a P3 regular and a P3 slotket. Also an Athlon 500MHz but that's still in a motherboard so not pictured. The random CPUs you see do not include an old SPARC CPU I have. You can pick out the P3's, P4, Pentium 75MHz's, more P4's in the top right, the PPro in the top left, the 486's, and at the bottom is a Pentium 60 MHz. Ah, what a dog!

http://screenshots.rq3.com/monk/tr-pics/IMGP6575.JPG

And... this is why we can't have nice things:

http://screenshots.rq3.com/monk/tr-pics/IMGP6581.JPG

http://screenshots.rq3.com/monk/tr-pics/IMGP6582.JPG

MixedPower
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:52 am

I figured I'd do something a little different. Here's a photoshopped exploded view of my now-5-year-old 7800GT.

(click image for full size)
i5 4690K | Sabertooth Z97 Mk2 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 970 | 500GB 840 Evo + 500GB Spinpoint F3 | Xonar DSX | SS-660XP2 | Heligon | FT05 | U2413 + 2209WA | Corsair K90 | Logitech G502 | ProMedia 2.1 | Win 10 Pro x64

wasser
Gerbil

Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:26 am

Nothing But Air
The blue at the top of the image is actually the sky. ;)

HS Sparkle
The above is a shot looking straight down at the heatsink from the first image, "Nothing But Air".

MSI Flare
This one is an out of focus shot of the reflected colors from the MSI sticker on the fan of my old MSI Nvidia GTi4400. You can see the fan and sticker below.

MSI Rush

Air Core Induction

AMD Gold

Zarukei
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:24 am

Here is my entry. Dark and Elegant

Xovit
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:36 am

I've had many MANY revisions of my desktop of this current CPU Generation (i7), here are just a few pics I've taken over my hardware revisions. The basic case design along with motherboard, cooling and HDD's has mostly stayed the same while other components like psu, gpu, and such swapped/upgraded.

Sebastacat
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:28 am

This is the Thermaltake Fanless 103 on my now idle Athlon 3800+ Socket 939 build. When I bought it off eBay, it didn't have a retention clip, so I fabricated my own out of brass. If there's brass, that makes it Steampunk, right? :D

and a Spin-Q for my new Core i7 860 build:

ryko
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:49 am

here are my entries...with a few hours to spare before the deadline!

found this leftover in my photobucket from a few years back. spidey making his escape...away from my ghetto-fabulous x1900gt cooler

recent repair work on a customers pc...wonder why it wouldn't power on?

close-up of stack of dead mobos

microsoft laser mouse 6000...IIRC

1gb kit of crucial ddr2 667

the old beast...dfi lanparty nf4u, opteron 165, 4gb giel ddr400, 8600gt w/ accelero (replacement card...use to roll w/ x1900gt from 1st pic)

internal shot of my file server hdds...note no flash used...the fan at top wasn't powered on

close-up shot thru an open pci slot on rear of my case

Boxthorn
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:00 am

Creech
Gerbil

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:36 am

Click for larger versions.

CEDRIC - a robot figurine I made from old computer parts.

Closeup of the back side of a Biostar Motherboard.

Close up of the heat pipes and fins of a Cooler Master heatsink.

Combination of photos I took during a system build.

Screws, nuts, and washers from a Cooler Master heatsink mounting kit.

Random closeup of a Biostar Motherboard.

Chun¢
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:48 am

Lonely old 3870, lookin' for a new friend
Corsair Memory (DDR2 800)
The Dreaded TravelStar!
Just my PS2 being naughty

How do I resize these bad boys?

Fujimoto24
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:28 pm

Last edited by Fujimoto24 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

andyfrasier
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:29 pm

What my DVD drive looks at all day.

pot
Gerbil

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:35 pm

Long time reader and lurker (registered years ago) but the contest was too good to pass up as my 8800gt is struggling to max out the new games. So the MSI card would be an actual upgrade for me. I included the url above the pics for bigger size.

I did have 2 8800GT in SLi but this one below died recently and went to hardware heaven.
http://a.imageshack.us/img152/9417/008wn.jpg

messing around with watercooling
http://a.imageshack.us/img243/737/uvsetupe.jpg

my favorite full tower, the CM stacker 830 EVO. I really like the 4 fan side panel.
http://a.imageshack.us/img243/7964/003pq.jpg

front of the case with door open in the dark
http://a.imageshack.us/img375/3153/013dwo.jpg