Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

will you buy online if local price is too expensive ?

Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:10 am

Hi ,

I living in Malaysia and i found out that most of the time for camera, book, computer stuff it still cheaper if we plan to buy it online like place such as
newegg,amazon , B&H.

But i wonder are those site really reliable or did you all try those site before or any recommendation site ?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: will you buy online if local price is too expensive ?

Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:21 am

Yes, I buy a lot of stuff online. Generally the merchandise is shipped promptly, and there are no issues.

It is best to deal only with vendors who have a good reputation; unknown vendors can be OK too, but you are taking more of a chance.

Shipping to Malaysia may negate most of the savings for you though. (And some vendors just will not ship there.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:19 pm

I've boughten from Newegg.com/ca, Amazon.com/ca, never had a problem. Ever.

But Just Brew It is spot on when he says shipping may negate any savings. For me (living in Canada) I can shop Amazon.com and the prices are usually significantly cheaper than Amazon.ca. But to ship it into Canada, the shipping usually wipes out most of that savings (it's still cheaper, but only by a few dollars, not usually worth my time). Fortunately, I have family in the States : )

But when you're shopping, make first a) those on-line stores ship to Malaysia and b) factor the cost of shipping in when comparing against local prices.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:45 pm

For many/most of us in the US/Canada/etc online From reputable vendors like those you list is probably the default choice. When you get overseas, especially dealing with cross border transactions things become more complicated. If you know any Malaysian tech boards I'd try to get input from them rather than us. The vendors you list do an excellent job in the US and transactions are overwhelmingly smooth here, but how that translates to your region is unknown. Also, imported tech goods can have warranty claim issues. I know at least one member here who got burned trying to get warranty service on a gray market(purchased overseas and imported) hard drive.